Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Re-opening our nurseries after lockdown

nomski100

23 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

The guidance suggests ratios groups.. so 1-8  for 3 year olds

Thank you.  We are opening now with maximum of 10 children aged 3-4 years. No 2 year olds and 3 staff. Not sure when though 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zigzag said:

COVID 19 notice re: implications of the latest government guidance about childcare providers re-opening on 1 June: The Alliance's Scheme's Insurers, RSA, are examining the government announcement and more information will be available soon.
This is really not good enough when we are all desperately trying to make plans.

This is ludicrous! Where was this, on EYA site? to be honest it didnt occur (stupid I know) to me that we wouldn't be. What would we not be insured for? Someone catching it at setting? Honestly-- I do dislike insurance companies- what is the point in having the insurance

8 hours ago, lynned55 said:

This is ludicrous! Where was this, on EYA site? to be honest it didnt occur (stupid I know) to me that we wouldn't be. What would we not be insured for? Someone catching it at setting? Honestly-- I do dislike insurance companies- what is the point in having the insurance

Click on the insurance link on the homepage and it’s on there!

On 18/05/2020 at 18:48, louby loo said:

I think that might actually mean -shortly before settings reopen o.O

I'm always a bit concerned about the term "shortly" from when I did my OU degree and a tutor cancelled a tutorial and said they would send us the tutorial notes etc "shortly" and in fact sent them 3 weeks after the TMA cut off date.....so for me shortly sometimes means," I know I have to be seen to do this but quite frankly my dear our on your own  as I have more important things in life to be getting on with"...which is always comforting!  xD

22 hours ago, zigzag said:

After a long ‘discussion’  with the committee, we are opening on the 8th for two mornings a week for 3 children. I am completely demoralised about this, knowing these children like I do, I know that it is going to be a very weird experience for them. Obviously we will do all we can to make it the best we can. In a way I am now hoping that a few more might jump back on board when we return!  This was a compromise in the end, as the discussion started with me being told we will open all sessions! Last night I was so frustrated about not being listened to and was in tears.  I was thanked for all my hard work, which was nice but felt empty after not being listened to.  

re "   I was so frustrated about not being listened to and was in tears"      Alas, in my experience of early years despite my shiny degree effort in my 50's because i work with small children other professionals treat me like one and clearly forget like a child (UNCRC 1989) I do have rights, I do have agency and a viewpoint which is equally valid.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, enuffsenuf said:

re "   I was so frustrated about not being listened to and was in tears"      Alas, in my experience of early years despite my shiny degree effort in my 50's because i work with small children other professionals treat me like one and clearly forget like a child (UNCRC 1989) I do have rights, I do have agency and a viewpoint which is equally valid.

45 minutes ago, enuffsenuf said:

It is all so frustrating isn't it? Our Committee want to open, we had a very awkward staff meeting, none of our staff are keen to come back so it's looking like it will just be me, (which obviously can't happen) committee have said we will have to get temporary staff in if needs be!  Not sure how that is going to work, I'm just praying two of my staff will say yes to coming back even if its just for two days each!  All this is so stressful !! 

• Like 1

We are a small committee run pre-school, we only have 4 staff of which three are not keen on returning on 1st June, our Committee say we have to open and we will need to look at temporary staff for the summer term if our permanent staff do not come back, not sure how this is going to work? I'm praying at least two staff say yes to returning to work!  This is all so stressful 

image.png.32bff75a1271b190e567e9633f804d3d.png

Hi,

I have just read this regarding reopening our settings

Update policies and procedures to reflect current government guidance,

Could you share which policies and procedures you are updating and what are you adding to them.

Thank you

Thanks Zigzag- 

DebBrad- welcome!!

I feel your pain- must admit didn't ask mine how they felt, just told them we are coming back and then left it to them to tell me they aren't happy over it. Only two really have (so far!!) 

I'm not sure where your committee think they are going to get temporary staff from and quite how they think that will work?? Be interesting to hear. Sorry not much help to you

I am the Manager of a (supposedly) committee run group but really have the opposite to you. I dont think it would occur to our committee that they could override anything or even that they are responsible for anything- so I suppose that works both ways! 

Tawny222- I think each group will have to work out their own to adapt change but at the moment virtually every procedure we have will have to be adapted at some point from our Admissions to Transition- however I'm not sure I have the time to rewrite all of them!

We will have something in writing for parents to sign, staff code of conduct, H&S procedures etc, etc 

I'm sure there is a load more that others may come along and suggest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DebBrad said:

So they would seriously think its OK for the children to be with people they don't know each day?  Isn't that half the issue with care homes transient staff moving from one place to another?   Also remind them that as the authorised body they as employers have a duty under health & safety legislation to ensure your safety, parents safety and that of the children and whilst we are planning to reopen I have yet to hear anything back from Morten Michael to confirm that we will be insured.....as committee officers should anything go wrong they imght be personally liable!

It is all so frustrating isn't it? Our Committee want to open, we had a very awkward staff meeting, none of our staff are keen to come back so it's looking like it will just be me, (which obviously can't happen) committee have said we will have to get temporary staff in if needs be!  Not sure how that is going to work, I'm just praying two of my staff will say yes to coming back even if its just for two days each!  All this is so stressful !! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tawny222 said:

image.png.32bff75a1271b190e567e9633f804d3d.png

Hi,

I have just read this regarding reopening our settings

Update policies and procedures to reflect current government guidance,

Could you share which policies and procedures you are updating and what are you adding to them.

Thank you

I will when the blooming guidance (pardon the french) is actually available to follow...at the moment all we have is the one for schools and ours is like Christmas to follow shortly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynned55 said:

Tawny222- I think each group will have to work out their own to adapt change but at the moment virtually every procedure we have will have to be adapted at some point from our Admissions to Transition- however I'm not sure I have the time to rewrite all of them!

We will have something in writing for parents to sign, staff code of conduct, H&S procedures etc, etc 

I'm sure there is a load more that others may come along and suggest.

I am considering a kind of temporary override policy as it were....so along the lines of our policies will continue to be upheld in the most part with the following exception during the period of June 2020 until September 2021...

then listing any alterations we might need...was hoping this might suffice

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DebBrad said:

We are a small committee run pre-school, we only have 4 staff of which three are not keen on returning on 1st June, our Committee say we have to open and we will need to look at temporary staff for the summer term if our permanent staff do not come back, not sure how this is going to work? I'm praying at least two staff say yes to returning to work!  This is all so stressful 

Hi Deb

I am so sorry that your Committee have put you in this position

Easy for me to say I know, but I would fight them over this - how can hiring temporary staff be in children's best interests, so not only will they have to return to an unfamiliar set up but the people that care for them will be different too - this will impact on their emotional well-being

Grrrr- this is what I most dislike about Committee run settings - never worked in one, but I would find it extremely hard to be led by people without basic knowledge of childcare and development

Sending you every good wish Deb

20 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I am considering a kind of temporary override policy as it were....so along the lines of our policies will continue to be upheld in the most part with the following exception during the period of June 2020 until September 2021...

then listing any alterations we might need...was hoping this might suffice

That sounds like a great plan fm

3 hours ago, DebBrad said:

Aren't all committee members DBS checked?  Maybe they can volunteer...?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

i'm just lazy !xD

Isnt this really what the Government are doing with a lot of stuff - they are bringing in "laws" for want of a better word, for the duration which should be dispensed with once the emergency is over - although the usual people who hate governments having too much power would say, but they will keep some emergency powers rather than relinquish them.      I would only do what you need to Finleysmaid - things change on a whim these days and you could involve yourself in a whole load of work which isn't necessary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Hi Deb

I am so sorry that your Committee have put you in this position

Easy for me to say I know, but I would fight them over this - how can hiring temporary staff be in children's best interests, so not only will they have to return to an unfamiliar set up but the people that care for them will be different too - this will impact on their emotional well-being

Grrrr- this is what I most dislike about Committee run settings - never worked in one, but I would find it extremely hard to be led by people without basic knowledge of childcare and development

Sending you every good wish Deb

Thank you ,  after more discussion and debates it's now looking like we will not open, I'm so relieved, I think its the safest decision for everyone. 

I know we have to notify our LA if we remain closed, but do we have to notify Ofsted ? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DebBrad said:

Thank you ,  after more discussion and debates it's now looking like we will not open, I'm so relieved, I think its the safest decision for everyone. 

I know we have to notify our LA if we remain closed, but do we have to notify Ofsted ? 

Ah i know this! YES !!! they have asked for everyone to email them 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I'm just hoping the PSLAs delay about insurance clarification is because they are updating polices inline with  any changes 9_9

I have checked this...absolutley no changes and still no insurance response.>:( getting very cross now!

27 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I have checked this...absolutley no changes and still no insurance response.>:( getting very cross now!

Has anyone completed the EYA survey, I let them know that the delay is causing us all stress.

• Thanks 1

Just now, tawny222 said:

Has anyone completed the EYA survey, I let them know that the delay is causing us all stress.

yes as soon as it hit my email inbox...shame they aren't as quick>:( they may be loosing a customer quite quickly the NDNA have just put out lots of stuff for their members