Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Re-opening our nurseries after lockdown

nomski100

Is it just me...i don't really get the testing thing!!! it can only tell you if  a) you have had it...but we don't know if you can catch it again or if that gives you any immunity or b) You haven't had it but you might get it tomorrow and then we'd have to test you again......

Am i missing something ?:ph34r:

https://famly.co/blog/covid-19/denmark-reopening-child-care-corona/?utm_source=facebook_groups

I’ve just been reading this, released today on how Denmark are doing it and it seems they’re breaking down into smaller 1 adult managed groups.

I’m not seeing why so much emphasis is putting on testing either fm, you could be clear one minute and not a few minutes later 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

https://famly.co/blog/covid-19/denmark-reopening-child-care-corona/?utm_source=facebook_groups

I’ve just been reading this, released today on how Denmark are doing it and it seems they’re breaking down into smaller 1 adult managed groups.

I’m not seeing why so much emphasis is putting on testing either fm, you could be clear one minute and not a few minutes later 🤷‍♀️

I read this too, thought it sounded very well planned but also seemed like they have a large setting. I have one room and am trying to figure how I could get a similar set up to work for us. We are normally free flow and it will take a huge amount of planning and rejigging the room but I think if I can get the staff on board it could work.

• Like 2

My concern is that we operate out of one room with a mixed age group and so far I have not seen a risk assessment that focus on this kind of free flow setting.  If anyone has seen one please could you let me know where, thank you.

Also, does anyone know if we would be able to change our operational hours and set up to accommodate smaller groups?

And finally if parent's do not want to send their children and we do not have enough children to make it viable what will happen to our funding?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Castleton2017RJ said:

My concern is that we operate out of one room with a mixed age group and so far I have not seen a risk assessment that focus on this kind of free flow setting.  If anyone has seen one please could you let me know where, thank you.

Also, does anyone know if we would be able to change our operational hours and set up to accommodate smaller groups?

And finally if parent's do not want to send their children and we do not have enough children to make it viable what will happen to our funding?

Thanks in advance

I think these are all really valid questions but i fear there is noone in the country who could answer them as yet . apart from the operational hours question. I suspect Ofsted will allow anything as long as it's not dangerous...O.o

3 hours ago, Castleton2017RJ said:

Hi, I suppose if we did get the go ahead for June opening funding is already confirmed as being retained for the Summer term if parents decide that’s too soon, but I’m also concerned if parents are still nervous come the Autumn term as to whether we will still be funded if parents choose not to send chn who would have been coming (presuming we are even open then; 🤷‍♀️

• Confused 1

From the DFE although he definitely did not ‘confirm’ this as he didn’t mention childcare or early years :/ 

1 hour ago, nomski100 said:

So Boris didn’t mention nurseries or childminders🤔 but reception, year 1 and 6 might go back in June.

But more info to come today....

‘As confirmed by the Prime Minister this evening, we are asking education and childcare settings to prepare to open for more children from 1 June.

We will publish further guidance setting out more information for early years, schools and colleges tomorrow.’

On 07/05/2020 at 11:38, cherry16 said:

I read this too, thought it sounded very well planned but also seemed like they have a large setting. I have one room and am trying to figure how I could get a similar set up to work for us. We are normally free flow and it will take a huge amount of planning and rejigging the room but I think if I can get the staff on board it could work.

Sounds like your setting is very like ours, one room!  Luckily we do have a lot of outdoor space so we will be spending most of our time outside!! Hopefully we will all make it work!

Has anyone yet drafted a "risk assessment" ready for when they return and if so would they be willing to share it?   My brain is frazzled and although I've thought about what I need to consider and have a game plan...I'm worried I might do something wrong or miss something out.   Our age group is 2-4  in one room but we are considering just returning the 4 yr old "transitioners" to start with...see how that goes and as they are a bit older might be  a tad easier but just wondered how others will support return and I keep thinking I'm missing bits of the jigsaw.

We're the same as you, one room. We have no proper outside area so we are starting very slowly two short mornings a week, transitions only.

Also we will start on the 8th at the very earliest.  I'm not getting into the whole will/will not open debacle a couple of days ahead.

No RA written yet, waiting to see what LA or gov come up with first.

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

No RA written yet, waiting to see what LA or gov come up with first.

Makes sense, I think there is an ‘operational toolkit’ on the way from DfE...providing information on the way doesn’t mean the Friday evening before we should be opening :-/ 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Makes sense, I think there is an ‘operational toolkit’ on the way from DfE...providing information on the way doesn’t mean the Friday evening before we should be opening :-/ 

Such a cynic mousie xD

• Haha 1

Has anyone who operates from a village hall been told that they may not be allowed back into the building? My  VH committee have said they are struggling to find advice as to whether they should allow us back??!  On a positive note though this would take the decision out of my hands.9_9

Just to add that we have also been told that we will receive full funding for 2nd half of term although no decision yet on funding being reclaimed if children have been attending another setting since March.

I too have had a headache since Sunday evening:( and very grateful for this forum at the moment!!

• Like 2

The powers above us are scrutinising documents with a fine tooth comb  to find a reason for us not to open.  Works both ways, they don't really want us to open as they are having enough trouble policing the park as it is, and we'd love a reason not to open 9_9

• Like 1

Well from the little I've read this morning, it seems Bozza's plans for school re-opening are in chaos!     Science and cabinet are not in total agreement.    Could be a much later start back than expected maybe.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Panders said:

Well from the little I've read this morning, it seems Bozza's plans for school re-opening are in chaos!     Science and cabinet are not in total agreement.    Could be a much later start back than expected maybe.

Where can I find this to read?

So I sent a letter to all my staff to say that we may be opening on 1st June and that I want them back to work on the 25th May to prepare..... 

they emailed me back saying:

1. That’s a bank holiday 🤭

2. It’s half term🤦‍♀️ 

Im a pack out nursery and now will have to prepare and plan everything myself!! Can’t ask them back next week as I told them I would give week notice........

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

Anyone had any response from insurance ? RSA??

No response to my email and that sent Monday.

It seems a decision will be made on 28th May if opening is going to happen so we’ll still have to prepare as if it will, my county have confirmed we will keep funding if we choose not to open, it won’t take many more changing their minds to say ‘forget it’, I’m now thinking not all days anyway and the ‘yes’ ones can take it or leave it, none are KW chn or vulnerable and all have a parent at home.

• Like 3