Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Re-opening our nurseries after lockdown

nomski100

2 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

I’ve got a kitchen timer that is set every hour to let us know it’s time to do the cleaning round. Works well. 

So in between the hour cleaning any child from any group use the toilets freely? I’ve been thinking about this for a few days now and kind of thinking would we really need all the other measures as more chn join when it’s potentially all being undone by this one problem if a child brings Covid into the setting (or adult with adult toilet, though each could clean down after themselves)

Toilets and food areas are always flashpoints for germs in any circumstances i remember doing germ tests on our college loos when i was at uni :ph34r: (it was part of our curriculum!) the seats were never so much of an issue but the flush and the doors URGGGHHHHHH!!!!!  I guess if we can get this area right then we've cracked quite a bit of it!. I ordered a whole load of plastic decorators gloves from amazon ...they are not what we would usually use but they will do the job...as to getting other supplies any tips there Rebecca?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Toilets and food areas are always flashpoints for germs in any circumstances i remember doing germ tests on our college loos when i was at uni :ph34r: (it was part of our curriculum!) the seats were never so much of an issue but the flush and the doors URGGGHHHHHH!!!!!  I guess if we can get this area right then we've cracked quite a bit of it!. I ordered a whole load of plastic decorators gloves from amazon ...they are not what we would usually use but they will do the job...as to getting other supplies any tips there Rebecca?

Lovely FM 😝 

We use those plastic gloves (57p for 100 consortium - though they probably won’t have any now) more than proper disposable gloves now, we tend to only use those now for soiled nappies, illness and  accidents of the blood type.

Just now, finleysmaid said:

The guidance does ask us to set up what i have called a 'vomit station' which we need PPE for...heaven only knows how we are going to get that.

I ordered face shields (10 for £19.99 and masks 10 for £6) from Amazon this week and should be delivered today or tomorrow if that helps.

55 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

In terms of supply tips - I'm afraid I stockpiled rather in preparation for a hard Brexit ... I have gloves (but some are blue!) 

sorry currently shouting at the news....why is everyone taking about school and not about preschools and nurseries?????

We cannot socially distance a group of 3 year olds.....they need to play with us, their friends and their social group....if we can't do this then really we can't do our job can we? is that not the whole point of pre-school?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

sorry currently shouting at the news....why is everyone taking about school and not about preschools and nurseries?????

We cannot socially distance a group of 3 year olds.....they need to play with us, their friends and their social group....if we can't do this then really we can't do our job can we? is that not the whole point of pre-school?

Watching news too.

I have decided that I’m only going to have 15 children in. I have a large hall so will separate into 4 areas. I have set out the children that can attend ( I have 45 on register) 

The only children we will open for are : be SEN, NHS workers, vulnerable children, teachers and police officers officers. 

( not all keyworkers as too many)

i will furlough half staff for 3 weeks then swap staff and furlough a different 3. 

If we open to the minimum amount of children then it allows us to get full funding. 

• Like 1

sensible plan.

We will open am/pm (longer break in between for cleaning_) 8 on the morning 8 in the afternoon. I only have 2 of us who can work out of 4 ....remind me to hire healthy staff B|xD that way i don't need to worry about groups mixing we will operate 95% of the time outside

2 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

sensible plan.

We will open am/pm (longer break in between for cleaning_) 8 on the morning 8 in the afternoon. I only have 2 of us who can work out of 4 ....remind me to hire healthy staff B|xD that way i don't need to worry about groups mixing we will operate 95% of the time outside

How have your parents taken only half days FM? I’m thinking of only doing 3 whole days with the option to do all 3 or a combination of 2 (we don’t have that many saying they’ll come back)

haven't told them yet:ph34r:

I have a trustees meeting this afternoon

I would really like to support my keyworkers first (we didn't stay open for the 2 we had) and they want morning so this works best. I don't want to do lunches to start with so this was the safest and simplest version. the other option was a 2 and a half day split but thats not what people are asking for .

• Like 1

Face shields. I"ve got 10 for £10 from a not for profit organisation.  This will be for emergencies only- and probably will just end up as a resources in what will become a new role-play area when this is all over :/

I will try and find the link, or name of company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't think guidance specific to early years / nurseries been released yet....primary has and they are now being told NOT to operate to rota basis ...after teachers had been planning on exactly that basis to make it work...

so...who knows what advice will come for us....and how much of the planning already done will have to change as a result :(

Just now, trekker said:

Don't think guidance specific to early years / nurseries been released yet....primary has and they are now being told NOT to operate to rota basis ...after teachers had been planning on exactly that basis to make it work...

so...who knows what advice will come for us....and how much of the planning already done will have to change as a result :(

But it is all guidance, it's not statutory - I think early years is such a diverse sector in terms of delivery models and accommodation that you have to follow the guidance and go for the best fit (Ofsted are all about 'best fit judgments' :D)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

But it is all guidance, it's not statutory - I think early years is such a diverse sector in terms of delivery models and accommodation that you have to follow the guidance and go for the best fit (Ofsted are all about 'best fit judgments' :D)

I was on some kind of zoom meeting last night with a solicitor chappie- and he said exactly that. It is guidance only, and it is the HSE we are answerable to in this scenario. They pointed out  the HSE is expecting you to put safety of employee and uses above any other 'guidance' given, and you should be fully documenting any staff concerns.

I did put the £1 face shields up earlier- but not sure if it actually posted :/ x

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, louby loo said:

you should be fully documenting any staff concerns.

this made me laugh as my deputy is my daughter...we have spent the last 7 weeks talking about this...not sure i can document most of the conversations they were way too rude!:D

3 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I really need to stop spending my days reading and do some writing ...as in an action plan/risk assessment ...hoping that will put the few 'yes' ones off :ph34r:

ive got a meeting this afternoon that i need to be ready for....not going to happen will have to fudge it:ph34r:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, valp59 said:

Has anyone who operates from a village hall been told that they may not be allowed back into the building? My  VH committee have said they are struggling to find advice as to whether they should allow us back??!  On a positive note though this would take the decision out of my hands.9_9

Just to add that we have also been told that we will receive full funding for 2nd half of term although no decision yet on funding being reclaimed if children have been attending another setting since March.

I too have had a headache since Sunday evening:( and very grateful for this forum at the moment!!

we are in a Parish hall and I have to meet with them (at a distance of course because Im allowed to work with 2 year old's on mass but not get close to one  adult.)....I am writing a game plan for how we can safely work, a risk assessment and have asked if we can have social distance marking on the pathway outside....To be honest you could try throwing the "its an income for the hall owners " line and as they have said to us no one else will be using the hall fat the current  time, we have explained our plans and how we will also up the cleaning regime.  If you are the halls biggest user and income provider then you should have a strong hand....if of course you want to re open

what sort of group sizes are appropriate? it is 15 for primary.......we have 38 school leavers and I fully expect most of them to want to come back! we are lucky that we have two rooms but will still have more than 15 per group on most days!!!! I have a meeting with the owner-manager this afternoon to finalize our letter to parents....we are prioritizing places to our existing key worker children, key worker children who have not yet attended and then school leavers, but already had parents of younger ones begging for us to take them back! 

29 minutes ago, twinthinguk said:

what sort of group sizes are appropriate? it is 15 for primary.......we have 38 school leavers and I fully expect most of them to want to come back! we are lucky that we have two rooms but will still have more than 15 per group on most days!!!! I have a meeting with the owner-manager this afternoon to finalize our letter to parents....we are prioritizing places to our existing key worker children, key worker children who have not yet attended and then school leavers, but already had parents of younger ones begging for us to take them back! 

If i was size of group i would be wanting to split each 15 in half this would then fit in with the government guidelines (if they are 3/4 years) depends of course on staff space etc etc etc

• Like 1

Copied from a Facebook friend

Feel free to share. It's not mine. I copied and pasted.

An invitation to the Government from EYFS teachers.

Dear Boris, Gavin, Chris and Matt. Thanks for your great advice.
Just come and spend a day with us and then you might think twice.
Please wash your hands on entry. Sit on a carpet tile.
Now shush! Here come the children. Please greet them with a smile.
Hello and welcome back, my loves. You’ll see some things have changed.
Yes, Ben! Our room looks different. We’ve had to rearrange
The desks, the toys, the books and games, the paints and pencil pots..
No, Boris! Sit back down again and don’t move off that spot.
Now listen carefully, my loves. I’m going to try and seat us
In a safe and special place, with space between: two metres.
But, Miss! I never sit just here. I always sit by Iris!
I know that, Sam, but now you can’t. Just blame Coronavirus.
Help, Miss! My head is itching! Can you see if I’ve got bugs?
Yes, Lizzie. Please, oh please, stand still. Where are my plastic gloves?
No, Sam. Please put that ipad down. It’s not been cleaned with dettol.
And don’t touch doorknobs, spades or bikes. The virus lives on metal.
Miss! Can I have the dressing-up? I’m playing Spiderman!
No, Joe, you can’t. I’m sorry, but all soft toys have been banned.
Please, Thomas, can you wipe your nose? We need to stay alert.
Oh, no. Please use a tissue, love! Don’t wipe it on my skirt.
Miss, look! I’m on a pirate ship! I’m climbing, out of reach.
No, Josh! You’re not allowed on there. It can’t be cleaned with bleach.
 Miss! Where’s the box of Lego ‘coz I want to build a farm?
I’m sorry, John, but that’s gone too as small toys cause great harm.
They can’t be cleaned enough you see and will be full of germs.
Yes, John! You’re right! I know I said that when you play, you learn.
Miss! Harry’ s spitting water out, all over my lunch tray!
Oh! Can you get a fresh one and a disinfectant spray?
Miss! I can’t find the playdough and I want to make some worms.
Sorry, Jack. It’s in the bin. It’s full of nasty germs.
 No, Freddie! Give that bottle back as it belongs to Claire.
What? Yes, I know she’s being kind. Now’s not the time to share.
Yes! I know that sharing’s good. It’s contradictory..
Ben! Please stop hugging Eve like that. Miss! Joseph’s done a wee.
Sarah, please don’t chew that pen, as Ellie sucked it too.
Miss! Can you come and help me? I just did a huge great poo!
 Ok! Stand in your safe space and I’ll don my PPE.
And Sylvie, please don’t chew that book. You’ll be the death of me.
No, our school trip’s cancelled and our play and disco too.
And Sophie, Sam and Mary-Beth, will you stop swapping shoes?
Miss! Come and see the castles that I’m building in the sand!
Oh sorry, Eve! You can’t play there. It’s germy, so it’s banned. 
What? Chloe’s slipped and cut her knee? Oh yes! There’s lots of blood.
Have we got a plastic apron and another pair of gloves?
Miss, I’m scared coz my Mum said, to Nan and Auntie Joyce,
That’s school’s not safe? She’s got to work. She hasn’t got a choice.
And now I’m here. It’s not the same. Just not what I remember.
And Daddy said it’s dangerous and to stay home ‘til September. 
I just don’t understand it and my head is in a muddle.
I know you said two metres but please, can I have a cuddle?
Oh Children! Please stop crying now. What don’t you understand?
 Just stay alert, six foot apart and wash your flipping hands!
So Boris, Gavin, Chris and Matt, hope you’ve enjoyed your stay?
There’s nothing to it, is there? It’s just child’s play.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cait said:

Copied from a Facebook friend

Feel free to share. It's not mine. I copied and pasted.

An invitation to the Government from EYFS teachers.

Dear Boris, Gavin, Chris and Matt. Thanks for your great advice.
Just come and spend a day with us and then you might think twice.
Please wash your hands on entry. Sit on a carpet tile.
Now shush! Here come the children. Please greet them with a smile.
Hello and welcome back, my loves. You’ll see some things have changed.
Yes, Ben! Our room looks different. We’ve had to rearrange
The desks, the toys, the books and games, the paints and pencil pots..
No, Boris! Sit back down again and don’t move off that spot.
Now listen carefully, my loves. I’m going to try and seat us
In a safe and special place, with space between: two metres.
But, Miss! I never sit just here. I always sit by Iris!
I know that, Sam, but now you can’t. Just blame Coronavirus.
Help, Miss! My head is itching! Can you see if I’ve got bugs?
Yes, Lizzie. Please, oh please, stand still. Where are my plastic gloves?
No, Sam. Please put that ipad down. It’s not been cleaned with dettol.
And don’t touch doorknobs, spades or bikes. The virus lives on metal.
Miss! Can I have the dressing-up? I’m playing Spiderman!
No, Joe, you can’t. I’m sorry, but all soft toys have been banned.
Please, Thomas, can you wipe your nose? We need to stay alert.
Oh, no. Please use a tissue, love! Don’t wipe it on my skirt.
Miss, look! I’m on a pirate ship! I’m climbing, out of reach.
No, Josh! You’re not allowed on there. It can’t be cleaned with bleach.
 Miss! Where’s the box of Lego ‘coz I want to build a farm?
I’m sorry, John, but that’s gone too as small toys cause great harm.
They can’t be cleaned enough you see and will be full of germs.
Yes, John! You’re right! I know I said that when you play, you learn.
Miss! Harry’ s spitting water out, all over my lunch tray!
Oh! Can you get a fresh one and a disinfectant spray?
Miss! I can’t find the playdough and I want to make some worms.
Sorry, Jack. It’s in the bin. It’s full of nasty germs.
 No, Freddie! Give that bottle back as it belongs to Claire.
What? Yes, I know she’s being kind. Now’s not the time to share.
Yes! I know that sharing’s good. It’s contradictory..
Ben! Please stop hugging Eve like that. Miss! Joseph’s done a wee.
Sarah, please don’t chew that pen, as Ellie sucked it too.
Miss! Can you come and help me? I just did a huge great poo!
 Ok! Stand in your safe space and I’ll don my PPE.
And Sylvie, please don’t chew that book. You’ll be the death of me.
No, our school trip’s cancelled and our play and disco too.
And Sophie, Sam and Mary-Beth, will you stop swapping shoes?
Miss! Come and see the castles that I’m building in the sand!
Oh sorry, Eve! You can’t play there. It’s germy, so it’s banned. 
What? Chloe’s slipped and cut her knee? Oh yes! There’s lots of blood.
Have we got a plastic apron and another pair of gloves?
Miss, I’m scared coz my Mum said, to Nan and Auntie Joyce,
That’s school’s not safe? She’s got to work. She hasn’t got a choice.
And now I’m here. It’s not the same. Just not what I remember.
And Daddy said it’s dangerous and to stay home ‘til September. 
I just don’t understand it and my head is in a muddle.
I know you said two metres but please, can I have a cuddle?
Oh Children! Please stop crying now. What don’t you understand?
 Just stay alert, six foot apart and wash your flipping hands!
So Boris, Gavin, Chris and Matt, hope you’ve enjoyed your stay?
There’s nothing to it, is there? It’s just child’s play.

That gave me heart palpitations reading that😂 

Of course, as is my way, I don't have a useful link but.....the BMA has now written to Government - they are of the belief that this idea of returning to school/nursery 1st June is not good - let's hope this carries some weight.

I haven't been contributing to this and similar threads much because my decision is made. We are not returning, I have written to all of my parents outlining the guidelines and the restrictions that we would have to put in place. I sent out this letter with such trepidation (I Thought they would all hate me!), I have been completely 'blown away' by the support that they have shown me.

I am very aware that I am at the age where I can say 'sod it' if I lose funding and/or my setting and that tis is not the case for others, so all in all, I felt that I should just keep quiet (those that 'know' me will understand that it's very hard for me to not throw my opinions into the mix!)

I hope with all my heart that this Government come to their senses and none of this happens - I am suspicious that there is an element of 'kite flying' going on here i.e. lets put this forward and gauge reaction.....

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 5