Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Re-opening our nurseries after lockdown

nomski100

2 hours ago, zigzag said:

I thought the guidance was already out, I am so confused.

the guidance for schools is out but not for early years/nursery settings...it just said will follow shortly

• Like 1

Ok have contacted the committee and let them know we only have 3 children (2 families) that want to start in June. 1 four year old his two year old brother and a three year old. I have a committee member who is a school secretary and has  said we HAVE to open because the government say we do.  I don’t think it’s realistic or beneficial to the children in that tiny group and in a stripped down pre-school that they attend.  Help, my head is spinning, what do I do....

8 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Ok have contacted the committee and let them know we only have 3 children (2 families) that want to start in June. 1 four year old his two year old brother and a three year old. I have a committee member who is a school secretary and has  said we HAVE to open because the government say we do.  I don’t think it’s realistic or beneficial to the children in that tiny group and in a stripped down pre-school that they attend.  Help, my head is spinning, what do I do....

Well I won't be in the Government's good books then as I am not re-opening 1st June :ph34r:

In your circumstances I wouldn't want to open for just three children - can't it be 'put on hold' I can't see either how it would be beneficial to children especially as two of the three are siblings

I know the answer to this one- the government is asking you to seriously consider opening,  however you are answerable to the HSE as to whether or not you actually can anyway.

In our case we have no washing machine or dishwasher on site, and our hot water is 'iffy' at the best of times. Our landlord considers at this point we cannot fully offer the level of cleaning required to stay safe easily.    Hence- if the rate of infection drops considerably we can open for short sessions only, to allow us [staff] to be able to clean properly within our working hours.  

x

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, zigzag said:

The government does not say we have to... it’s on the Early Alliance page. You would need to check that the LA will continue to pay funding for all children if you remain closed due to lack of children. 

F87FF17C-7084-400C-A110-E17877787DB4.png

• Like 1

I am trying to get across how awful it would be for the three children.  The 4 year old would have none of his peers there, his brother is two and still plays mostly in isolation and the three year old is in neither friendship group.  Just trying to make them understand that I cannot see any benefit to them being in school. Especially as it won’t be the school they recognise.

1 hour ago, ATurner said:

I am thinking of returning on the 1st June and would like to know what anyone else is classifying as a small group? We would normally have 30 in one room but are considering no more than 12.

The guidance suggests ratios groups.. so 1-8  for 3 year olds

We are opening for 14 and will have them in 3 groups. I think though that by the time we actually open that number will have probably dropped.  I would consider a max of 16.We do have 10 staff that can be in. Although I think we may then have a job not to fall over each other never mind socially distancing!

3 hours ago, zigzag said:

I am trying to get across how awful it would be for the three children.  The 4 year old would have none of his peers there, his brother is two and still plays mostly in isolation and the three year old is in neither friendship group.  Just trying to make them understand that I cannot see any benefit to them being in school. Especially as it won’t be the school they recognise.

zigzag- you are so right- there will no benefit at all to those poor children. What will you do if the siblings are off? Open for just one child? 

Although do check with your LA re funding

10 hours ago, lynned55 said:

zigzag- you are so right- there will no benefit at all to those poor children. What will you do if the siblings are off? Open for just one child? 

Although do check with your LA re funding

After a long ‘discussion’  with the committee, we are opening on the 8th for two mornings a week for 3 children. I am completely demoralised about this, knowing these children like I do, I know that it is going to be a very weird experience for them. Obviously we will do all we can to make it the best we can. In a way I am now hoping that a few more might jump back on board when we return!  This was a compromise in the end, as the discussion started with me being told we will open all sessions! Last night I was so frustrated about not being listened to and was in tears.  I was thanked for all my hard work, which was nice but felt empty after not being listened to.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, zigzag said:

After a long ‘discussion’  with the committee, we are opening on the 8th for two mornings a week for 3 children. I am completely demoralised about this, knowing these children like I do, I know that it is going to be a very weird experience for them. Obviously we will do all we can to make it the best we can. In a way I am now hoping that a few more might jump back on board when we return!  This was a compromise in the end, as the discussion started with me being told we will open all sessions! Last night I was so frustrated about not being listened to and was in tears.  I was thanked for all my hard work, which was nice but felt empty after not being listened to.  

It's just so hard isn't it :(  Not sure what is worst to be honest- being the owner/manager and having to make the decision alone, or manager with a committee that really don't understand what they are doing. :( 

I have to say, our letters went out yesterday morning explaining why we weren't opening - then around midday we were told by landlords that we couldn't open anyway. So far the parents have be all so supportive it has made me feel in a  far better place mentally than I have been in weeks.

I dare say I shall have a few moans- I am waiting for one parent it particular to message me 9_9

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Oh zigzag - I'm so sorry that your Committee have put you in this position :(

Sending you a huge virtual hug xxx

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Do we know if we are insured yet???????!!!!! sorry feel im being a pain about this but i am very nervous of opening until i have had this in writing

COVID 19 notice re: implications of the latest government guidance about childcare providers re-opening on 1 June: The Alliance's Scheme's Insurers, RSA, are examining the government announcement and more information will be available soon.
This is really not good enough when we are all desperately trying to make plans.

54 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Do we know if we are insured yet???????!!!!! sorry feel im being a pain about this but i am very nervous of opening until i have had this in writing

That is my worry too.  I keep checking The Alliance website but they still just say that more information will be available soon.  We have 7 so far who want to return.  We are committee run and I am still waiting for a response from 2 committee members one way or another regarding whether their children will return.  My committee have gone amazingly quiet during the lockdown.

NDNA/Poundgates say we are insured:

"Please check to ensure that your insurance policy covers you if you remain open for keyworker and vulnerable children. We have heard reports that some insurance companies are saying that due to government intervention, their regular insurance cover will become null and void if they remain open. Each business and each policy will be different so please check with your insurance provider. We can however confirm that anyone covered via Pound Gates will still have cover so long as the nursery continues to work within published guidelines, i.e. government and Ofsted."

I have made the decision not to open my setting in June. 

I have become extremely anxious about it all and I really do not think it is a good time to open my setting. Most of my staff do not want to return due to health issues themselves or in their household. Only a handful of children want to return. 

If anyone has also agreed to remain closed have they managed to prepare a letter to inform the parents?? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rebecca said:

NDNA/Poundgates say we are insured:

"Please check to ensure that your insurance policy covers you if you remain open for keyworker and vulnerable children. We have heard reports that some insurance companies are saying that due to government intervention, their regular insurance cover will become null and void if they remain open. Each business and each policy will be different so please check with your insurance provider. We can however confirm that anyone covered via Pound Gates will still have cover so long as the nursery continues to work within published guidelines, i.e. government and Ofsted."

Pacey and Morton Michael have also said OK RSA (EYA) have not yet confirmed or denied

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

I wish they would flaming hurry up!

It’s ridiculous isn’t it? The EYA spend so much time blowing it’s own trumpet .... they are fighting this, or fighting that for it’s members, how about it starts closer to home and looks into it’s own insurance shambles 😡 

• Sad 1