Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Re-opening our nurseries after lockdown

nomski100

I just recorded two videos, one with strict instructions for parents on how we are going to proceed, on how they need to help us prepare the children for the changes and how we are going to split our groups and all the other stuff that comes with that! the other is for the children so they can understand how different it is but also about masks and how we are going to keep each other safe and healthy. I will be posting them on our parent's group on Face book and on Tapestry tomorrow.

who knows how this will work, but fingers crossed it will be ok.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, twinthinguk said:

I just recorded two videos, one with strict instructions for parents on how we are going to proceed, on how they need to help us prepare the children for the changes and how we are going to split our groups and all the other stuff that comes with that! the other is for the children so they can understand how different it is but also about masks and how we are going to keep each other safe and healthy. I will be posting them on our parent's group on Face book and on Tapestry tomorrow.

who knows how this will work, but fingers crossed it will be ok.

Sounds good 👌 I was thinking if doing a welcome back, Things might be a bit different, this is who is here to look after you (as not all KPs yet).

I want to send my parent agreement as a survey monkey type questionnaire, but I want to know who sent each back...can anyone tell me how that can be done or which is best to use? Ta

Would anyone share with me the letter they are sending to parents for them to sign before return?   I haven't started mine yet but I know I want to include an update on their contact details and Im also thinking about getting them to reconfirm dr's details and child's nhs number (heaven forbid in case of ambulance need) and authority to seek medical advice....obviously no calpol, no sick children etc...but wondering what else people are popping in?

1 hour ago, enuffsenuf said:

It better not be at odd with what I spent all day yesterday writing having decided I was going it alone.......

It’s what we’ve all discussed on here already, so I’m sure you’ll be fine ...though it does say all chn can be tested once back with a link to testing....which says not under 5’s 😝 if they can’t sort it out between them we have no hope! and it clears up the sand debate or their take on it 🧐

it does talk about preparing a plan with your team....yeah right what team will that be then? Man UTD football team? Maclaren F1 team? 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

It’s what we’ve all discussed on here already, so I’m sure you’ll be fine ...though it does say all chn can be tested once back with a link to testing....which says not under 5’s 😝 if they can’t sort it out between them we have no hope! and it clears up the sand debate or their take on it 🧐

it does talk about preparing a plan with your team....yeah right what team will that be then? Man UTD football team? Maclaren F1 team? 

The best team of all Mousie - Team fsf :)

• Like 2

yeah my plan for the sand has gone t**s up! even though ours is brand new huge and we only have a few children going to use it! ah well never mind...no other major issues though i think the idea that childminders should only use one room in their house might be tricky unless you have an outside loo:ph34r:

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

The best team of all Mousie - Team fsf :)

You’re not wrong there...you guys are my team 😊 

9 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

yeah my plan for the sand has gone t**s up! even though ours is brand new huge and we only have a few children going to use it! ah well never mind...no other major issues though i think the idea that childminders should only use one room in their house might be tricky unless you have an outside loo:ph34r:

I just choked on a strawberry FM with the t**ts up, but I’m still considering using ours spread out e.g  Monday 1 week for one group,  close again, Tues next week for diff group or even Mon/Fri ? I read somewhere it was more because it’s an area too many gravitate to but if managed it could work.

maybe they can get a rent-a-loo, there’ll be thousands going begging with no festivals happening ....now there’s a thought 🤔 

Edited by Mouseketeer

Just now, Mouseketeer said:

I just choked on a strawberry FM with the t**ts up, but I’m still considering using ours spread out e.g  Monday 1 week for one group,  close again, Tues next week for diff group or even Mon/Fri ?

Sorry didn't realise you were so easily offendedxD:D i think if it hadn't said explicitily sand then i would have made a plan but suspect insurance might have an issue if i did it now.>:( (ive recently spent a LOT of money on rebuilding it)

I have to say, I'm still struggling with the sand thing.   Surely the tools can be washed etc.     Years ago, I remember one of my old supervisors "cleansing" the sand with a solution of Milton and water,   anyone else???

• Like 1

We have a really big outdoor sandpit and I intend to use it. I am buying a pressure sprayer and going to spray the sand with diluted Milton at the end of session.  It helps we are only having three children back. I seem to remember when I worked in the day Nursery (all those years ago) that we used to pop a detox mixture in the sand to clean it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zigzag said:

We have a really big outdoor sandpit and I intend to use it. I am buying a pressure sprayer and going to spray the sand with diluted Milton at the end of session.  It helps we are only having three children back. I seem to remember when I worked in the day Nursery (all those years ago) that we used to pop a detox mixture in the sand to clean it.

14 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I just choked on a strawberry FM with the t**ts up, but I’m still considering using ours spread out e.g  Monday 1 week for one group,  close again, Tues next week for diff group or even Mon/Fri ? I read somewhere it was more because it’s an area too many gravitate to but if managed it could work.

maybe they can get a rent-a-loo, there’ll be thousands going begging with no festivals happening ....now there’s a thought 🤔 

I have often popped shaving foam in our sand...makes it smell really nice and fresh and the children then used it like cement on bricks etc.....it used to be a classic staple......"Oh sand how I'm going to miss you.....(Excerpt from the play Sandlet), enter stage left bubble......."Alas poor sand we knew him well in early years, a fellow of infinite jest and he carried me on his back a thousand times (especially during settling in) and now how terrible this is him...It makes my stomach churn.  I don't know how many times he was eaten or thrown in someones hair.......where are your pranks now? your songs?...You don't make anybody smile now!"   Jillian Takesfear......sorry about that I think all this risk assessing etc has clearly turned my brain!  xD:bananas: 

• Haha 3

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on small individual sand trays for each individual child?  Would this be possible with a small tray of sand and specific objects in it for that child only?  What if the trays were labelled for each child with their own name/photo?  We have had small trays of coloured sand in the past for mark-making activities and this along with water play often keeps children occupied for some time.

We have 2 largish sandpits back and front but won't be using them.

• Like 1

Your largish sandpits - could you not rotate their use, they could take it in turns to be untouched after a cleansing solution put on them?   Using Sand trays for the purpose you have suggested is good, but when one thinks of children using sand its for the use of larger muscles and ideas

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Panders said:

Your largish sandpits - could you not rotate their use, they could take it in turns to be untouched after a cleansing solution put on them?   Using Sand trays for the purpose you have suggested is good, but when one thinks of children using sand its for the use of larger muscles and ideas

My thoughts too Panders, I’m  thinking open one day, close for 3 or rotation basis ....after all it is only guidance 😉

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

My thoughts too Panders, I’m  thinking open one day, close for 3 or rotation basis ....after all it is only guidance 😉

Whilst I agree Mousie 'it is only guidance' - I would be worried about Insurance cover if guidance hadn't been followed O.o

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panders said:

56 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Whilst I agree Mousie 'it is only guidance' - I would be worried about Insurance cover if guidance hadn't been followed O.o

18 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I'm pretty sure they have sanplay in Denmark O.o wasn't they supposed to be our model settings ? 

I also thought about the rotation thing and possibly using my jetwasher with sterilizing  solution but likewise we are worried about insurance given the new guidance.  However children are most definitely seen to be using sandpits in Denmark.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

I'm pretty sure they have sanplay in Denmark O.o wasn't they supposed to be our model settings ? 

There was also a beautiful sandpit in full use in the nursery that was filmed for BBC news last week

I would still be worried about insurance - could be me being too negative - who knows - I acknowledge that nine weeks of lockdown has skewed my thinking

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

There was also a beautiful sandpit in full use in the nursery that was filmed for BBC news last week

I would still be worried about insurance - could be me being too negative - who knows - I acknowledge that nine weeks of lockdown has skewed my thinking

I agree.      I also noted that the BBC film showing the British setting clearly had the parent in the setting too, when advice is- not allowed unless 100% essential. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Yes it is only guidance but if something happened and you had had sand out when it is specifically mentioned then you might find yourself in a position where your insurance wont pay out should there be a claim and lets face it if an insurance company can avoid paying out they will...so whilst I was intending to do as you have suggested individual sand trays etc...I have decided I wont be taking the risk..   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enuffsenuf said:

Yes it is only guidance but if something happened and you had had sand out when it is specifically mentioned then you might find yourself in a position where your insurance wont pay out should there be a claim and lets face it if an insurance company can avoid paying out they will...so whilst I was intending to do as you have suggested individual sand trays etc...I have decided I wont be taking the risk..   

It is rather annoying- play dough  ok, sand no. I know which I'd think was safer O.o

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 14:33, Mouseketeer said:

xDxDxD

It's no different to what we had already done- but my goodness me- BJ has mentioned us 2 days in a row!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dennie said:

I also thought about the rotation thing and possibly using my jetwasher with sterilizing  solution but likewise we are worried about insurance given the new guidance.  However children are most definitely seen to be using sandpits in Denmark.  

The only thing about saying (which my staff have already said to me!) its only guidance is- Our inurance is saying as long as you are following the guidance you are insured. It is a great shame though. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, louby loo said:

It is rather annoying- play dough  ok, sand no. I know which I'd think was safer O.o

ah but then we have to remember the guidance was written by people who never were children, pay other people (often several) to their own children and have never worked in childcare......so they probably think each child has their own little tub of dough which they grip onto for dear life, never sharing,  throwing on the floor and jumping on...then having noticed the pattern their shoe left put it back on the table and press their jumper into it, then pressed it onto their hair to see what that does,,then having had help to remove it from their hair trying to eat it..because obviously it tastes really good.....let alone wanting to mix the colours up!   :bananas:

• Haha 5