Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Re-opening our nurseries after lockdown

nomski100

5 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I flipping haven’t 🙈

I have spoken to RSA this morning about this. Apparently it is now on the EYA website....but they have confirmed it all ok...will find the email in a minute...just having  a cup of tea ☕

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

I flipping haven’t 🙈

Early Years Alliance

Dear member,

You will be aware that the government has announced that it is asking childcare settings in England to welcome back children below statutory school age as of 1 June, subject to scientific advice at the time.

A number of our members have contacted us to ask if they will continued to be covered by their insurance policy if they open as of this date.

We can confirm that if you hold an insurance policy with RSA via the Early Years Alliance underwriting scheme at Cover Levels 1, 2, 4a, 4, 5, 6b, 8, 9, 10a or 10b, your policy will be active in relation to the provision of childcare. The usual policy terms and conditions will apply.

Important considerations for re-opening on 1 June 2020

You must assess whether it is safe to open your setting. If so, you should comply with all Ofsted registration requirements, have risk assessments in place and adhere to all government guidelines, including those recently issued on effective infection protection and control and shielding. You should keep checking that the children and staff members are not demonstrating any symptoms of Covid-19 and continue to review the situation in light of any additional information released by the Government, whilst updating risk assessments.

RSA is not in a position to advise you as to whether you should re-open your specific setting premises. 

More information on the implementation of protective measures for providers considering re-opening from June is available in the new Department for Education guidance: Coronavirus (COVID-19): implementing protective measures in education and childcare settings.

Other important information can be found here:

•  Actions for early years and childcare providers during the coronavirus outbreak

•  Actions for educational and childcare settings to prepare for wider opening from 1 June 2020

•  Opening schools for more children and young people: initial planning framework for schools in England

Children and staff with medical conditions

There are two categories of medical conditions where people with those conditions are at higher risk of becoming serious ill with Covid-19: these categories are clinically extremely vulnerable (i.e. high risk) and clinically vulnerable (i.e. moderate risk).

Information on who is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable and who is classed as clinically vulnerable is available here.

All Alliance member policyholders providing childcare should follow Government and NHS guidelines with regard to assessing underlying health conditions of a) the children in their care and b) staff working in their setting environment.

The new government guidance Coronavirus (COVID-19): implementing protective measures in education and childcare settings states that staff and children with who are clinically extremely vulnerable should not be working in or attending your setting.

If the children attending or staff working within your setting premises have medical conditions that are not included on the clinically extremely vulnerable list (including children and staff who are clinically vulnerable (i.e. moderate risk), then reasonable precautions should be taken to decide whether the child can attend the setting whilst receiving adequate care or the staff member can continue to work in the setting environment, without compromising their underlying health conditions.

Please note that, in light of the new government guidance, the above also applies to policyholders who are currently open to key worker and vulnerable children (and in the case of childminders who are open to children from a single household).

We hope that this additional information is helpful.

Please rest assured we are here to support you through these difficult times.

If you would like to discuss your insurance policy more specifically with us, please call the Alliance insurance on 020 7697 2585. Our phone lines continue to be exceptionally busy at this challenging time so please do continue to bear with us.  

Thanks again for your ongoing support and understanding.

With kind regards,

The Alliance Insurance Team

welcomebackbanner-9900000000079e3c.jpg

Facebook Twitter YouTube
Early Years Alliance
National Centre
50 Featherstone Street
London
EC1Y 8RT

You are receiving this email because you have signed up as a member of the Early Years Alliance.

• Thanks 1

What are people’s thoughts on chn joining a group later than some, I had a bubble sized group (8) starting 1st June but half now don’t want to start until the following week due to siblings not starting back at school until then, but I can’t only staff them as a separate bubble as no staff left for chn who want to re-start later.

Ive said no...two reasons

1) the children will have formed a peer group and i don't want to change so that they can get the most from that .

2) once set the bubble becomes its own protection...allowing others to join later may increase the risk of introducing a new set of possible germ transfer 

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

Ive said no...two reasons

1) the children will have formed a peer group and i don't want to change so that they can get the most from that .

2) once set the bubble becomes its own protection...allowing others to join later may increase the risk of introducing a new set of possible germ transfer 

Thanks FM, I see your points but just don’t see how I can possibly have bubbles of only 3 or 4 chn, I’d soon run out of staff and not have enough separate spaces for it to work 🤦‍♀️

Just now, Mouseketeer said:

Thanks FM, I see your points but just don’t see how I can possibly have bubbles of only 3 or 4 chn, I’d soon run out of staff and not have enough separate spaces for it to work 🤦‍♀️

TBH its a blinking nightmare...and all of us are different i don't know what your setting is like size wise etc. We've just done what we think will work for us. I've told the parents they can have X or nothing and we start on the 1st....only one not happy so not badxD

7 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

TBH its a blinking nightmare...and all of us are different i don't know what your setting is like size wise etc. We've just done what we think will work for us. I've told the parents they can have X or nothing and we start on the 1st....only one not happy so not badxD

It really is, it was all going well till parents had school letters today and the years are doing different weeks and times ...just when you think you’re getting somewhere 

• Sad 1

Have just read the letter from our HT sent out to parents today it is really hard-hitting, I can't see how any parent would want to send their children back after reading that - not a criticism of the HT I fully support and agree with everything she has written

Anyway re your point Mousie - she will allow key worker to join their age group 'bubbles' at the appropriate times - not sure I am making much sense here....

Y6 are going in first and then a week later YR and then another week later Y1 - key worker children from YR can join their bubble in that 2nd week etc 

15 minutes ago, lynned55 said:

Still cant see anything on EYA site re insurance apart from the same message saying RSA are looking into it

Early Years Alliance

Dear member,

You will be aware that the government has announced that it is asking childcare settings in England to welcome back children below statutory school age as of 1 June, subject to scientific advice at the time.

A number of our members have contacted us to ask if they will continued to be covered by their insurance policy if they open as of this date.

We can confirm that if you hold an insurance policy with RSA via the Early Years Alliance underwriting scheme at Cover Levels 1, 2, 4a, 4, 5, 6b, 8, 9, 10a or 10b, your policy will be active in relation to the provision of childcare. The usual policy terms and conditions will apply.

Important considerations for re-opening on 1 June 2020

You must assess whether it is safe to open your setting. If so, you should comply with all Ofsted registration requirements, have risk assessments in place and adhere to all government guidelines, including those recently issued on effective infection protection and control and shielding. You should keep checking that the children and staff members are not demonstrating any symptoms of Covid-19 and continue to review the situation in light of any additional information released by the Government, whilst updating risk assessments.

RSA is not in a position to advise you as to whether you should re-open your specific setting premises. 

More information on the implementation of protective measures for providers considering re-opening from June is available in the new Department for Education guidance: Coronavirus (COVID-19): implementing protective measures in education and childcare settings.

Other important information can be found here:

•  Actions for early years and childcare providers during the coronavirus outbreak

•  Actions for educational and childcare settings to prepare for wider opening from 1 June 2020

•  Opening schools for more children and young people: initial planning framework for schools in England

Children and staff with medical conditions

There are two categories of medical conditions where people with those conditions are at higher risk of becoming serious ill with Covid-19: these categories are clinically extremely vulnerable (i.e. high risk) and clinically vulnerable (i.e. moderate risk).

Information on who is classed as clinically extremely vulnerable and who is classed as clinically vulnerable is available here.

All Alliance member policyholders providing childcare should follow Government and NHS guidelines with regard to assessing underlying health conditions of a) the children in their care and b) staff working in their setting environment.

The new government guidance Coronavirus (COVID-19): implementing protective measures in education and childcare settings states that staff and children with who are clinically extremely vulnerable should not be working in or attending your setting.

If the children attending or staff working within your setting premises have medical conditions that are not included on the clinically extremely vulnerable list (including children and staff who are clinically vulnerable (i.e. moderate risk), then reasonable precautions should be taken to decide whether the child can attend the setting whilst receiving adequate care or the staff member can continue to work in the setting environment, without compromising their underlying health conditions.

Please note that, in light of the new government guidance, the above also applies to policyholders who are currently open to key worker and vulnerable children (and in the case of childminders who are open to children from a single household).

We hope that this additional information is helpful.

Please rest assured we are here to support you through these difficult times.

If you would like to discuss your insurance policy more specifically with us, please call the Alliance insurance on 020 7697 2585. Our phone lines continue to be exceptionally busy at this challenging time so please do continue to bear with us.  

Thanks again for your ongoing support and understanding.

With kind regards,

The Alliance Insurance Team

welcomebackbanner-9900000000079e3c.jpg

Facebook Twitter YouTube
Early Years Alliance
National Centre
50 Featherstone Street
London
EC1Y 8RT

You are receiving this email because you have signed up as a member of the Early Years Alliance.

Ok rightly or wrongly we have decided we are just going to run with this.....I contacted my early years advisers at the local authority yesterday and said "in the light of no official guidance are you happy for me to open 1st June so long as I have done a risk assessment and we just all use our common sense?" and they said yes....so that's what we are doing.   Initially I am inviting back the school leavers (12 children) and so far about half have said a definite "yes" the others are still considering (because it is a big decision for a parent to make and I don't want anyone to rush or feel guilty).   I have also said its not cast in stone if they say "yes" and change their minds that's ok and likewise if the say "no" and three weeks in decide they do want to join us then that is equally ok.    Bubbles are all very well but realistically my children will not manage social distancing once they get together.  I have spoken with a friend who has worked throughout in secondary school and she said even there it's a battle...so we as a team have decided that one battle we are not happening..We will operate in the garden and once the child has had their hands washed and they are brought into the garden by the staff member doing the hand washing it's going to be business as usual.   Many of our families have been terrified not just about the virus but also about the thought of their little tots being sat in rectangles drawn on the floor (as they have seen in the press) or are worried that their children are going to be barked at all the time "don't do this" "don't do that" so we as a parent/staff team have all agreed rightly or wrongly...we aren't heading in that direction.  We will be sensible, we will use our common sense BUT I have spent over 20 years of my life now teaching small children to share and play nicely alongside each other and for my own sanity....I and my team are not going to stop that.

Edited by enuffsenuf
spelling
  • Like 3

Fair enuffs enuff! (sorry couldn't resist)

You have to go with what you feel is right...we are all individual settings with individual groups of children and parents.

I have heard of settings where all the parents want their children back and some who have none.....i feel the power of social media may be at play here!

the government have said they expect about a 50% uptake across the board. The problem at the moment is that nearly all the press is based on schools and they are doing some VERY odd things, ours have decided to pick the children up in the middle of a car park and walk them to school in order to stop the parents coming near the school...the problem is they have to walk down a narrow and public path to do so!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, enuffsenuf said:

Ok rightly or wrongly we have decided we are just going to run with this.....I contacted my early years advisers at the local authority yesterday and said "in the light of no official guidance are you happy for me to open 1st June so long as I have done a risk assessment and we just all use our common sense?" and they said yes....so that's what we are doing.   Initially I am inviting back the school leavers (12 children) and so far about half have said a definite "yes" the others are still considering (because it is a big decision for a parent to make and I don't want anyone to rush or feel guilty).   I have also said its not cast in stone if they say "yes" and change their minds that's ok and likewise if the say "no" and three weeks in decide they do want to join us then that is equally ok.    Bubbles are all very well but realistically my children will not manage social distancing once they get together.  I have spoken with a friend who has worked throughout in secondary school and she said even there it's a battle...so we as a team have decided that one battle we are not happening..We will operate in the garden and once the child has had their hands washed and they are brought into the garden by the staff member doing the hand washing it's going to be business as usual.   Many of our families have been terrified not just about the virus but also about the thought of their little tots being sat in rectangles drawn on the floor (as they have seen in the press) or are worried that their children are going to be barked at all the time "don't do this" "don't do that" so we as a parent/staff team have all agreed rightly or wrongly...we aren't heading in that direction.  We will be sensible, we will use our common sense BUT I have spent over 20 years of my life now teaching small children to share and play nicely alongside each other and for my own sanity....I and my team are not going to stop that.

3 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Fair enuffs enuff! (sorry couldn't resist)

You have to go with what you feel is right...we are all individual settings with individual groups of children and parents.

I have heard of settings where all the parents want their children back and some who have none.....i feel the power of social media may be at play here!

the government have said they expect about a 50% uptake across the board. The problem at the moment is that nearly all the press is based on schools and they are doing some VERY odd things, ours have decided to pick the children up in the middle of a car park and walk them to school in order to stop the parents coming near the school...the problem is they have to walk down a narrow and public path to do so!

Its tricky isn't it and I personally think we can have all these plans but its only when we start doing it for real that we will find out if/how it will work in practice.   Hand on heart I would have preferred not to go back until Sept, but then will it be any different..I think I have a great one way system and staged drop off "plan"...but until real people (and their children) are using it I have no idea if its going to do its job or not......but then in some ways that's like childcare full stop....we plan, put our hearts and souls into our work, invest our time into making sure we deliver and yet from time to time it still all comes crashing down and we fail.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1