Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Re-opening our nurseries after lockdown

nomski100

There is lots of talk around when School's will re-open and there is a possibility that we will find out next week.

"Primary schools in England could be allowed to reopen as soon as June 1 under possible plans being discussed by Boris Johnson. The Prime Minister will unveil the government's "roadmap" out of the coronavirus lockdown over the next week. It is not expected to set out firm dates, but part of that plan is the "phased" reopening of schools - where ministers confirm some pupils will be sent back first, with others kept home for longer.

Mr Johnson appears to have confirmed primary pupils could be the first to return. The risk from Covid-19 is thought to be the lowest in the youngest children.

Head teachers have previously said the earliest schools could reopen would be June, but only with proper notice. Reports now suggest the PM intends to put primary schools on notice as soon as this week - as long as infection rates continue to fall"

So where do we stand here as they are not talking about nurseries?  It states that the risk from Covid-19  is lower in younger children.  Does this mean we will be asked to re-open soon?  

I know that we need to get back to work and the children need to get back to nursery but there would be no chance of me being able to social distance 45  two to four year olds!!

Someone, mentioned the younger age group including preschool in one of the briefings this week- stating they are lower risk as they are brought in directly by parents many walking etc. The problem with older children being they are more independently mobile use public transport/school buses etc so harder to control movements/contacts.

• Like 1

No idea how it will all work and to be honest with you’ve I’ve not given it too much thought (I’m just better focused and far more productive with a deadline to work too) I have been wondering if allocating each member of staff a set of chn they stay with as a group through the day and move around areas might help minimize the risk of infection, instead of 4 staff and 20 odd chn all mixing up, 1 member of staff would stay it’s a group of ratio’s chn, I know there will be the logistics of that to work out ...eg nappy change, lunch time etc so just something I’m playing with at the moment. If we get notice to open from next weeks announcement I will send a questionnaire to parents to see how many would want to send them back ASAP and arrange a virtual meeting with staff to find out how they feel about it ...so maybe I’ve given it a little more thought than I realized 😉

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

I am concerned as well with how we will be able to re-open and what the expectations of numbers of children we will be allowed and how we will be able to social distance the children and for them to social distance from each other.  Will we have to change how our rooms are set up and will there be certain guidelines to follow?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, louby loo said:

And with no sand, water or playdough how are we going to keep them happy :/

That’s going to be tricky and what about mud kitchens? I guess that’s a no too.

my plan for water play would be individual bowls of soapy water (if no eczema) ...do you think that would be ok? And I guess they could have their own pots of playdough? 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

The only thing I thought of doing would be to contact parents first asking who would definitely be sending children in. A lot of course will depend on numbers. We had a couple of mornings with 31 children in and 8 staff- so cant see any social distancing going on there!! I dont think they are all going to return- I'm sure some will stay away. However this is assuming we go back on June 1st- so who knows. I do have a huge list of questions I will need answers to and procedures we will probably have to have in place before we open but they really will depend on when we open and what any changes to our regulations and/or guidelines are.  For instance if we dont open until September our numbers are much lower, so probably wont need the same amount of staff each day. June I wouldn't be happy about parents coming in at all however Sept, we couldnt possibly settle in new children without parents coming in. So............... all depends- will just have to wait and see what is said on Thursday.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

We may have a slight hiccup in the plan in that our authority still runs a three tier system !!!! Suspect no one has thought abut that in governement! 🙄

What's a three tier system ? Please x

12 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

That’s going to be tricky and what about mud kitchens? I guess that’s a no too.

my plan for water play would be individual bowls of soapy water (if no eczema) ...do you think that would be ok? And I guess they could have their own pots of playdough? 

but it's then trying to make sure they don't share that dough or put it together? what happens with things like small world etc., construction? How do we keep apart? what about nappy changes, toileting accidents etc.,? 

13 minutes ago, louby loo said:

What's a three tier system ? Please x

our county, like only 5 others in the country, still operate a three school system. So we have primary, middle and upper schools meaning the children move at different year groups than in the rest of the country....and in fact even in our borough only half the schools operate like this!!!!! The problem is that the investment required to rejig this to 2 tier is huge and in the current climate not possible.

22 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

our county, like only 5 others in the country, still operate a three school system. So we have primary, middle and upper schools meaning the children move at different year groups than in the rest of the country....and in fact even in our borough only half the schools operate like this!!!!! The problem is that the investment required to rejig this to 2 tier is huge and in the current climate not possible.

Thank-you, I thought it might be that. What (if any) tier do you get classed in?  Are you within school grounds?

33 minutes ago, blondie said:

but it's then trying to make sure they don't share that dough or put it together? what happens with things like small world etc., construction? How do we keep apart? what about nappy changes, toileting accidents etc.,? 

We use individual bought pots for dough disco type activities (so adult led anyway) rather than general use handmade playdough, I’m thinking about rotating washable resources daily, maybe 2/3 options tubs one day while others are back in sterilizing fluid to alternate ...but who knows, so many ‘what abouts’, all we can do is our best to minimize the spread of infection much like we had stepped up to more frequent no other adults in, hand washing, high contact washing down, more steaming 🤷‍♀️ We have a big outside area so it will be spread out mostly I think, I’m really hoping my staff don’t want to go dine the mask route unless we are told we have too.

Just now, louby loo said:

Thank-you, I thought it might be that. What (if any) tier do you get classed in?  Are you within school grounds?

No ..we are completely independent but it will cause issue with our families siblings as some may return and others not as it is common to have children spread around schools . I was just reading this morning that they will return the transition years first but for this borough that is obviously a different year group...but i doubt anyone has thought about thatO.o

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, blondie said:

I'm thinking of putting something like sheep pens all around the room...... when the whistles blows all pens get cleaned down and the children more onto to the next pen!!xD

Seriously , I haven't a clue how we will manage it- I image the minute the children see their  old friends it will be a massive  'free-for-all-mega- fug-hug' anyway!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, louby loo said:

I'm thinking of putting something like sheep pens all around the room...... when the whistles blows all pens get cleaned down and the children more onto to the next pen!!xD

Seriously , I haven't a clue how we will manage it- I image the minute the children see their  old friends it will be a massive  'free-for-all-mega- fug-hug' anyway!

I agree ..there is no way that i can 'police' the children to social distance. Some of mine don't speak English and have additional needs they will just not understand that climbing in to the water and hugging their friends is not on!!!!:o and anyway i will be delighted to see them having normal social contact, surely that is what they need after all this time?

• Like 1

Maybe something parents sign to say ‘by allowing my child to return to setting I understand that whilst you will take appropriate hygiene precautions, social distancing for adults and restricting visitors from entering the setting to limit the spread of infection I also understand  there is not a hope in hell that  you will be able to socially distance my child from their peers or staff managing their personal needs’ :-D  

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I have given this a lot of thought (too much thought) - I would not even attempt social distancing with children in my care - to do so, in my humble opinion, would be detrimental to their emotional well being. I would however want adults to 'social distance' - my ideas so far:

•  Children to be kept at home if they have any signs of illness (no exceptions - I don't want to hear "oh but he/she wanted to come")
  •  Parents to wait outside building, social distancing here please, door will be opened at 9am and children to be 'sent to' staff member manning the door (parents will not be permitted to enter building under any circumstances)
  •  Children to independently change their outdoor shoes to slippers (they can all manage this)
  •  Children will then wash their hands (under adult supervision) before beginning the pre-school session
  •  No changing bags, show and tell items to be brought in to pre-school (I'm thinking the less 'baggage' they bring with them lessens the risk of infection)
  •  End of session - parents to wait outside building (again, observing social distancing) and children will be 'released' individually and safely to their waiting parents
  •  No transition visits to Primary School
  •  No visits from Reception teacher/headteacher
  •  No visits from new starters (September)
  •  No visits from any adults at all 

That all sounds pretty 'miserable' really, but my aim is to make this as safe an experience as possible.

I don't want any of this to happen, I don't want us to re-open in June

My first move if we are told to re-open would be to canvass opinion of parents i.e. will they want children to return

I have read that the 'R value' is rising again in Denmark where they have re-opened schools in a very controlled manner

• Like 5

We were already part way with the drop/off pick ups before closure - so sunny days part will work extend on this. As I've said before most of out parents actually loved the drop  and run option surprisingly enough. 

I might go with some kind of statement about the children not being able to social distance themselves - but then the government keep saying 'they don't think' young children can pass it on. 

I'm not going to  try and not think about it anymore until Thursday - and we know know the government like to drop ***** usually late on a Friday night - so I guess they'll at least give us an extra day's notice this week as its a bank holiday weekend!     We'll probably all be expected to open first thing Monday morning :oxD 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I'm not going to  try and not think about it anymore until Thursday - and we know know the government like to drop ***** usually late on a Friday night - so I guess they'll at least give us an extra day's notice this week as its a bank holiday weekend!     We'll probably all be expected to open first thing Monday morning :oxD 

Boris has promised 'three weeks notice' for school return (I know - promises, promises....)

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

I think the big announcement might have moved to Sunday now instead of Thurs ...guess the planning isn’t going too well 🤔 

Yes - details on Sunday I think

I'm thinking that if we are told to re-open in June that I will need some sort of 'contract' to be signed by parents - as an owner/manager I do not want to be 'sued' if something goes drastically wrong

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

How will staffing be affected by their children not being back at school, or by them not relying on grandparents, family, neighbours to cover when their child can't attend school or for school pickups and drop offs? The difficulties to overcome just seem to be popping into my head all the time.

I'm really considering holding off until September even if they take the funding back. Any one else considering that?

• Like 1

I am not sure many parents will want their children to return for last six weeks or so - in France many parents have chosen to home school their children for the last few weeks before the summer break rather than send their children back to school.