Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What would you do if you did not work in early years?

zigzag

If you were not working within early years what would you do....

I would have loved to have been a midwife....except I cannot deal with blood and gore...hence I work in early years!....mind you the snot and germs I have dealt with today may make me think twice!! :D

I'd like to work with animals, dogs preferably. Must be mad because they do say "never work with children or animals"! However, I do find them both very rewarding, if rather hard work at times!

The reference to mice stew earlier had me quite concerned as I love rodents too, even had 3 pairs of rats over the years.

• Like 1

Ooh that's an interesting question, I can honestly say I have never wanted to do anything else except work within Early Years.

Apart from a short break to have my own family, I have been playing and learning for over 36 years, crumbs that makes me feel very ancient.:)

But if I had my time again I think I might have trained as a teacher and taught abroad, possibly in Africa.:)

Guest sn0wdr0p

Be a full time mum. I wish I could afford to give up work! I would even like to do housework as it frustrates me that I never have time to even have a good tidy up.

My ambition was to be on the stage in the west end,but settled amateur theatre and now don't get time for that! My other was to be a social worker ! Over the years I have done many jobs to keep a roof over my head and have sold sandwiches , run a bakery ,hot foiled hangers for underwear , cleaned , bar work , school caretaker , secretary although my college training was working with children and adults with sen

make cakes...i reckon helen and i could start a business! ;) I make novelty cakes...i think i could make it in to a business when i retire xD

I had no idea! I love the baking side but am to good at the decorating bit. If I've got where you live right I several friends near-ish by. Would happily move down.

I have no idea what I'd do. Did admin before teaching but I really do love my job. I think I'd possibly like to have been really expert at some kind of craft thing - making patchwork quilts maybe. Failing that continuing my grandpa's family business - a bakery. My other thought was a cafe aimed at walkers in the Peak District. A really simple menu: hearty soups, good bread, good cheese and cakes (like flapjack and tea loaf)!

Would it be possible to combine all of those with a bookshop?!

• Like 1

. My other thought was a cafe aimed at walkers in the Peak District. A really simple menu: hearty soups, good bread, good cheese and cakes (like flapjack and tea loaf)!

Would it be possible to combine all of those with a bookshop?!

Finley's up for that....his idea of doggy heaven!

Im pretty sure I was a gardener in a previous life, although I dont recall ever considering it as a job when I was younger. (maybe because people didn't have gardeners in those day...not where I lived anyway!).

I 'fell' into teaching, loved early years from the off, but dabbled in other things (taught maths for a while) but always came back!

I started in an engineering company, drawing electrical and mechanical plans. I drew them for all sorts of projects, Birmingham airport and Disneyland Paris, were two, i got to see all of the airport before it opened buy not disney unfortunately! I think if I'd been given the opportunity I'd have been something to do with drawing, sign writing, graphics, I've got a good eye for freehand lines and measurements. I fell into EY because of my own children :)

I would have to be an actress, the performances I put on some days deserve an Oscar. In my dreams...

...but reality is that I was a reservations manger for a tour company and accounts manager for a ferry firm before having children. Then worked part time in an estate agents before getting involve firstly as a parent committee member and then employed at pre-school. This led to LA work and now owning my own nursery.

Stationery - did someone say stationery?! :1b

Could i please run the stationery section of your enterprise Helen and Fm - it would be beautiful I promise! :1b

I know that I (quite accidentally) fell into exactly the right place in life for me! :1b

Like lashes I would have rather liked to be an actress and I too dabbled with (well actually I was a bit of a 'leading light' :rolleyes: ) in local drama group for years - not anymore though.......

Other than that - I started off working in hospitality - I loved it - but marriage and children came along and I did all sorts of part time jobs when the boys were tiny - all worked at hours of the day when Mr S could care for them..........and then came that fateful day when I stayed at pre-school as a 'mum helper' - the rest as they say is history...........

When I was at school, the careers advisor asked me what I would like to do when I left school, I said work with children or old people. I started worked as a shop assistant and worked up to area manager, after my third child I started in childcare and have been in this field for 20 years. If I wasn't in childcare I would be working with my partner at his printing business as I enjoy computing :-)

Not a problem Helen we'll fit right in, you won't know we are there, most of the time, anyway, Just think, you'll have guinea pigs about to test out your new recipes - we know what we like and don't like - our opinions would be invaluable.

we could even have Rea and the ferrets over if their world tour has finished - just think it could be unforgettable!

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Excellent! So, we're looking for a living room/industrial kitchen with integral pole/ferret dancing stage?! :blink:

Did I also mention that it has to be in a log cabin, deep in the woods, halfway up the side of a Swiss alp with stunning sunsets near a lake with an island that I can sail to (although actually I prefer rowing - much less wobbly) and camp on? At least it does if I'm going to fulfil all my childhood fantasies at once! xD:P

As for the guinea pigs... I did for a brief moment think you meant real ones. Visiting ferrets is one thing but live in guinea pigs... (ours (known as Alice and Arthur) always scratched me and I'd come up with huge, red, incredibly itchy weals!)

Excellent! So, we're looking for a living room/industrial kitchen with integral pole/ferret dancing stage?! :blink:

Did I also mention that it has to be in a log cabin, deep in the woods, halfway up the side of a Swiss alp with stunning sunsets near a lake with an island that I can sail to (although actually I prefer rowing - much less wobbly) and camp on? At least it does if I'm going to fulfil all my childhood fantasies at once! xD:P

As for the guinea pigs... I did for a brief moment think you meant real ones. Visiting ferrets is one thing but live in guinea pigs... (ours (known as Alice and Arthur) always scratched me and I'd come up with huge, red, incredibly itchy weals!)

As you guessed not real guinea pigs just us foodies. Swiss mountain etc no problem, been there lots of times could recommend a few to try out. Definitely must have a stage for the ferrets, they need to practice

Stationery - did someone say stationery?! :1b

Could i please run the stationery section of your enterprise Helen and Fm - it would be beautiful I promise! :1b

I know that I (quite accidentally) fell into exactly the right place in life for me! :1b

Like lashes I would have rather liked to be an actress and I too dabbled with (well actually I was a bit of a 'leading light' :rolleyes: ) in local drama group for years - not anymore though.......

Other than that - I started off working in hospitality - I loved it - but marriage and children came along and I did all sorts of part time jobs when the boys were tiny - all worked at hours of the day when Mr S could care for them..........and then came that fateful day when I stayed at pre-school as a 'mum helper' - the rest as they say is history...........

i seem to have followed a very similar path!...I did theatre production (behind the scenes!) for a little theatre company and then went in to hospitality too (also stopped when i had children....terrible hours) then went to help out pre-school for maternity cover...still here 15 years later!

SPOOKY :blink: :ph34r::DxD

• Like 1