Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What do you love about your job? Let's row this boat!

FSFRebecca

There's so much to worry about in Early Years at the moment ... financial viability, changes to qualifications, Baseline assessments (or not), staff recruitment - the list goes on and on and on.

So I thought we should cheer ourselves up and remind ourselves why we are doing this mad thing that we do!

I'll start .... next post ...

I do it because of moments like this.

Yes, he might get sand in his eyes, nose and mouth - but look at the joy! I was with him, I was watching and I was making sure he didn't eat all the sand or poke it where he shouldn't. I risk assessed the sand and it was clean and no, his mum didn't mind him getting dirty.Sand%20fun.jpg

• Like 4

For me it's when you meet children who used to come to preschool, who are now at uni and they remember what fun they had. One girl said it was the messy cornflour play and the big wooden climbing frame. Another rembered going on a gruffalo hunt walk for Red Nose day and finding at the end a note saying 'sorry he could'nt be there, but had left all the children some sweets. Then there's the mum who was in tears of gratitude, as we took back her child with behaviour problems from a setting, who asked her to withdraw the child as they couldn't cope with him until they got funding for another member of staff, and yes his behavoiur is improving, because I can see a loving, kind little person underneath that keeps popping out now and again, so I continue to support him.

• Like 5

It's the knowing that we really make a difference to children's lives

the things that still make us laugh even when we think we've seen it all before.

It's seeing children who have struggled with something suddenly 'getting it'

It's watching the practitioners I work with doing things they never thought they could.

As long as the goods outweighs the bads, I'm in. Once the bads outweigh the goods, it's time to move on.

I'm still in!

• Like 5

I agree Rea. Those conservations that start with something very simple and suddenly take a whole different, completely random path. You never know where it will end up because there are no rules or constraints. Brilliant!!

• Like 4

For me it't not just about the children but about the families. Being an important, integral part of their lives. Letting parents go to work knowing their babies are happy, safe, cuddled, talked to, as they would. I couldn't leave my own babies (long story) which is why I became a childminder. I feel so blessed to have been able to pick my boys up from school every day, and look after them when they were ill, and to be able to give another parent that sense of security makes me very proud and happy. The professional development I've been able to achieve in these ten years has vastly exceeded my expectations. I've completed a degree (Open degree, but half EY), I have two level 3 qualifications. I've grown as a professional and as a person. I love being messy and flexible and following, but still, at the end of the day, be in charge. I love when my old minded children lock themselves out and knock on my door for tea and to wait for Mum because they know it's safe and they'll be welcome. But now, my children will soon both be off to high school and I fear I will need to earn some better money and clear out all the junk....but what to do?

• Like 3

the enthusiasm of small children is so precious - and having the opportunity to guide it towards doing something good for the world is a priceless privilege - (currently talking a lot about how we are responsible for mini-beasts in my class - no-one is owning up to stamping on an ant!)

We'll be looking at babies,one of our little girls brought her new brother in last week, she was so excited I thought she wee herself, massive smile from ear to ear. Also doing equality after one of our lads said boys are better than girls! Really!!? We'll see sweetie ?

• Like 2

What a lovely thread - good to concentrate on the positives sometimes :1b

I think most of the things that I love about my job have already been mentioned - so I will just add - the lovely contented 'hum' that we hear in our pre-school room when all children are happily engaged in areas of their own choosing :1b

• Like 5

The six week Summer holidays!

Seeing the child that used to come in kicking and screaming now run in beaming from ear to ear.

Watching them become so independent

Doing an exercise class every morning and watching 25 little ones doing their best to join in!

• Like 2

ive been thinking about this question for a few days....I know I love my job (well you would have to wouldn't you!!) but what is it that floats my boat?

I have come to the conclusion that most of all it is freedom. As the manager I am free (with the usual proviso's ) to do what I want with the children and when.....if we want to go to the park we go, if we want to play musical statues then what's stopping us and we are free to learn what we want and when we want to.

so boy this week found a snail in the garden ....staff member heard "snails don't usually swim do they?" and went to investigate. Boy says "it's ok I've given him a fish as a present, Fish can swim so he can help the snail to learn can't he? The fish is the snails friend and the snail is my friend" this led to a whole raft of learning and investigating, creating art and sculptures etc etc we covered most if not all of the eyfs ! It wasn't planned, it had no limits, we all learnt from it (including the adults!) it was active engaging and entertaining. This is what my jobs about and I do love it!

• Like 4

ive been thinking about this question for a few days....I know I love my job (well you would have to wouldn't you!!) but what is it that floats my boat?

I have come to the conclusion that most of all it is freedom. As the manager I am free (with the usual proviso's ) to do what I want with the children and when.....if we want to go to the park we go, if we want to play musical statues then what's stopping us and we are free to learn what we want and when we want to.

so boy this week found a snail in the garden ....staff member heard "snails don't usually swim do they?" and went to investigate. Boy says "it's ok I've given him a fish as a present, Fish can swim so he can help the snail to learn can't he? The fish is the snails friend and the snail is my friend" this led to a whole raft of learning and investigating, creating art and sculptures etc etc we covered most if not all of the eyfs ! It wasn't planned, it had no limits, we all learnt from it (including the adults!) it was active engaging and entertaining. This is what my jobs about and I do love it!

... I imagine you covered lots of science too ' floating and sinking?'