Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Secret Life of four year olds

Panders

was just about to post about it

ITV trailer from GMB

watching the trailer, it seems to be what is observed daily in early years, but of course it is the privileged few who work in that environment that manage to see it daily.

Will be nice to be able to just watch though rather than doing all the thinking that normally goes alongside that too!

• Like 1

Zebedee just asked if there are any secrets left to uncover for us all? Are we just going to spend the evening shouting at the TV! At the very least, we are going to be sitting doing observations against EYFS statements and CoEL!

• Like 2

We have to recognise that this was a pretty false situation, at least two days of filming to cut and fit into an hour. Must have been endless amounts of planning 'situations' to create some of the snippets we saw. Maybe filmed in holidays or weekend.

I was texting a colleague throughout, really good language was very evident!... Reception age me thinks... and maybe 4 at the start of filming, but very nearly 5??

Great environment, loved the bowl thing!

In my experience the children that have left nursery, and then come back a year later, love it, engage so much more with the resources, really relish that opportunity to play freely.

Didn't like the use of the word 'naughty' by Dr's!

Edited by StrawberyTwirl
  • Like 2

I must say I did enjoy it, but couldn't help but feel that these children were not just 4 as I see 4 year olds. Rather they reminded me of the nursery children on some of the Ofsted best practice videos that were released( remember the one with the treasure hunt?)....maybe 4 and 11 1/2 months, but not just 4.(ok, I know one was just 4, the rather charming chap in the hand knitted sweaters, but as for the rest...). I noticed that one of the children said "my school", not my nursery..

Also noticed that their staff ratio was rather generous! As said before, all that's not possible on funding for a 3 year old (certainly not where I live)

Perhaps I'm just feeling inadequate..

• Like 6

i spat my tea across the room when the little girl role playing on a telephone said " stop ringing me Richard! your not the dad! I don't love you anymore, I hate you!" lol also loved the " my cat will come and scratch your face off" from the non sharing girls rowing with the boys about the colour of their toilets whilst hogging the scooters lol

but the cake boy looked alot older than 4! lol

• Like 2

Well I watched it, but it didn't capture me. I was hoping for a more in depth commentary or analysis of behaviours from a socio-cultural perspective. What I got was what we see most days, children learning to share, squabbling, role play, greediness, and some dogged persistence! So, not so secret really!

And yes, that big boy looked very close to five! Also, these were 'standard high end' children, I felt. Where were the strugglers to communicate, the introverted leg clingers? The tantrum door slammers? I suppose they don't make good tv on anything other than supernanny!

• Like 2