Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snow?

sunnyday

I had more snow overnight, main roads/bus routes are clear, however our road is not. So we have ended up staying in all day, we had more light snow this morning/early afternoon. So I have spent the day watching telly catching up to stuff. Not sure what I will do tomorrow, more snow foretasted for tomorrow night into Monday.

I hate it now, the snow has been walked on and cars have compacted it on the roads (we aren't gritted where we are) last night we had a frost and everywhere is like an ice skating rink. Because it's no longer snowing we are expected to get on with it and yet I feel the ice is more dangerous than the snow!

• Like 3

Just coming down now (west side of Birmingham), and forecast says even heavier snow at 3pm...

...wouldn't it be awful if we had to shut the school tomorrow as well. Awful, just awful. :rolleyes:

Edited by ChrisAR
  • Like 2

I hate it now, the snow has been walked on and cars have compacted it on the roads (we aren't gritted where we are) last night we had a frost and everywhere is like an ice skating rink. Because it's no longer snowing we are expected to get on with it and yet I feel the ice is more dangerous than the snow!

I know the feeling about the ice. 3 years ago I slipped on the ice injuring my lower back. Walking down to work one morning, got 'bungled' into a teachers car in pain. Said pain was so bad that on the way home I had to walk back up the hill. Resulting in 2 weeks off work. Worse still that I am still suffering the after effects 3 years later. So yes snow is worse than ice.

roads are clear here, pavements are not (apart from mine and the neighbours as we cleared it..Habit from Germany where it was a legal requirement for everyone to clear the pavement outside of your property or get fined for not doing so.) so everyone is walking in the road!

Took us half hour to clear the car , as we need to go out tomorrow.. providing it stays like this, none forecast for us.

while being in a village we are lucky in that is is a designated ambulance route so has to be gritted and cleared. And cars bring the salt onto the side roads with them so clearing that too...

Yes, like icing sugar being sifted down at the moment. anyone watch the Winterwatch programme about the Big Freeze of 1963? 8 weeks of this type of weather!!! (Sunnyday you would have to hibernate I think if it gets that bad) Excellent programme, on iplayer now BBC. I was 7 at the time, have a vivid memory of a cousin coming over from Australia at the end of the winter, but you can see snow clearly in the background of photos. Also remember coming in from playing out in the snow and my hands being so painful as they warmed up again, and sore legs from welly rub! Must remember to ask my mum about it when I visit next week

• Like 1

rang my mum this morning who was telling me about the winter of 1947 - the milkman delivered by horse and cart in those days and had to put chains on the cart wheels ! she lived in Southgate ( North London) with a few hills - low gradient - she said it went on for weeks but come June they had non stop sunshine til September - snow has been falling steadily here since 9 am in Essex - my daughter has just got ready to walk to work with all her ski wear on - knew that expensive school trip to Iceland a few years back would be worthwhile :P be safe and have fun everyone - don't forget to check on your elderly neighbours and feed the birds

• Like 1

Yes, like icing sugar being sifted down at the moment. anyone watch the Winterwatch programme about the Big Freeze of 1963?

Aha! I remember my mum telling me stories of trudging through the snow to get to her ante-natal appointments. I must admit I thought she was exaggerating at the time! I always thought I was worth it though! :P

rang my mum this morning who was telling me about the winter of 1947 - the milkman delivered by horse and cart in those days and had to put chains on the cart wheels ! she lived in Southgate ( North London) with a few hills - low gradient - she said it went on for weeks but come June they had non stop sunshine til September - snow has been falling steadily here since 9 am in Essex - my daughter has just got ready to walk to work with all her ski wear on - knew that expensive school trip to Iceland a few years back would be worthwhile :P be safe and have fun everyone - don't forget to check on your elderly neighbours and feed the birds

Oh lashes that's the winter that my mum always talks about - she says that it froze day and night for six weeks :o can you imagine - think I would die :ph34r:xD :lol: xD

And...........it's still snowing.........

:blink: :oxD

• Like 1

Yes, like icing sugar being sifted down at the moment. anyone watch the Winterwatch programme about the Big Freeze of 1963? 8 weeks of this type of weather!!! (Sunnyday you would have to hibernate I think if it gets that bad) Excellent programme, on iplayer now BBC. I was 7 at the time, have a vivid memory of a cousin coming over from Australia at the end of the winter, but you can see snow clearly in the background of photos. Also remember coming in from playing out in the snow and my hands being so painful as they warmed up again, and sore legs from welly rub! Must remember to ask my mum about it when I visit next week

Mr S is downloading now xD

We really enjoyed it - thank you...........now that's what you call snow! :oxD

BTW - it's still snowing..........

Oh lashes that's the winter that my mum always talks about - she says that it froze day and night for six weeks :o can you imagine - think I would die :ph34r:xD :lol: xD

And...........it's still snowing.........

:blink: :oxD

Just watching the programme re 1963 and it lasted from Boxing Day 1932 till end of March 1963.....Sunnyday you would have had a hissy fit :DxD:DxD:D

• Like 1

Just watching the programme re 1963 and it lasted from Boxing Day 1932 till end of March 1963.....Sunnyday you would have had a hissy fit :DxD:DxD:D

That was a very long freeze! Think your typo should be 1962.

I remember that winter, although not the dates but I think thats why I dont like snow!

I remember snow filling my wellies as I walked home from school and all the adults having a snowball fight in the cul de sac in which we lived.

There was definately still snow on 8th April 1963 in East Kent as it was my birhday; the postman didn't get through with my birtday cards and when I opened the door that morning to look for him the snow was half way up it I got covered!!!

It started on 26th Dec 1962 can't remember when it stopped, if I watch that programme will it enlighten me?

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

Well we have had a lovely day at Dalby Forest. Not a great deal of snow at home so we took the boys and had a super time sledging down the hills. We live in a very flat part of Yorkshire where there are no decent hills. When learning to drive here everyone goes into Hull our nearest city to a flyover as there are no hills to practice hill starts on.

Really glad to be home and warm again though.

There was definately still snow on 8th April 1963 in East Kent as it was my birhday; the postman didn't get through with my birtday cards and when I opened the door that morning to look for him the snow was half way up it I got covered!!!

It started on 26th Dec 1962 can't remember when it stopped, if I watch that programme will it enlighten me?

It will :1b

Is it just me or did snow seem worse back in the 70s and 80s? I remember opening the back door and the snow being at least a metre deep.

No it's not just you! :1b

Our little village was 'regularly' cut off - bizarrely I quite liked that :blink: :D

Is it just me or did snow seem worse back in the 70s and 80s? I remember opening the back door and the snow being at least a metre deep.

No- you was probably 'shorter' that's all xD :lol: xD :lol: xD :lol: xD

PS-

................well I that it was funny :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 2