Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snow?

sunnyday

I will never forgot the snow in January 1979 it was horrific. My village was cut off by drifts and I had no milk for my baby (11 weeks old) the police flew their helicopter and landed a couple of miles away and trudged through the snow to bring insulin to a neighbour and milk for my son. Somehow it made the news in the Daily Telegraph!!!!

I remember awful snow at various times in my childhood but I can't remember schools closing - I do remember sitting in the classroom with my coat and scarve on and ice on the inside of the windows!!

• Like 1

We have had snow now here for far too long. I am not happy, but as yet no broken bones....... (probably jinxed it now!)....

Please stop talking about '62-'63. It was horrible, my Dad had got promotion so we had just moved up from London; in a new house with no central heating, no carpets and not much money. I hadn't got many friends as had only been in the school since the October half-term and nobody talked to me because I talked 'posh'.

I think that is all mixed up in my not liking snow - sorry, not trying for the sympathy vote, honest!

You sure about those dates Sue! :P :rolleyes: xD :lol: xD :lol: xD :lol: xD :lol:

Well if it had been 1932 to 1963 you REALLY would have had a hissy fit :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I walked to work this morning and the main roads are fine but the pavements are treachourous.....the only pavements gritted are those done by householders :o

• Like 1

Can I please vent to people who will understand? :blink:

I have let all parents know via my last newsletter what my 'Severe Weather Arrangements, are........in short 'we will always open if we possibly can, if we have to close I will ring all parents before 8:30am' - now is that clear - or is that clear? :angry:

You would not believe how many parents said this morning "oh we thought you would be closed because we hadn't heard from you"...........AARRGGHHHHHHHHH

I just smiled sweetly at each one and said ever so calmly "I only ring if we will be closed, otherwise it's business as usual"

For pity's sake - do they really think that I am going to ring them all to let them know that we are open as usual :o

Right - rant over - thanks for listening! :1b

• Like 2

post-3735-0-55508000-1358781699_thumb.jpg

winter 63, with my younger sister, remember it vividly, been trying to find more pictures, but they must be on other pc

also remember a really bad winter in the 80s. must have been about 86 , could not get out for 10 days, they helicoptered food into the Naafi , nearest other shops were 3 mile walk and they were rationing food, 1 loaf each and 1 bottle of milk . Oh and we were at the top of a hill, which was fine going down but coming back! Son was 2 and we went everywhere with him on a sledge with a cardboard box seat attached to it so we could put items on the sledge..

now we are fairly clear but as others have said paths are dangerous unless cleared by residents, we do have a village snow watch team who clear the paths and grit them on the main road, and not all roads have a path so road walking is normal.Forecast is for more tonight for us...

• Like 3

post-3735-0-55508000-1358781699_thumb.jpg

also remember a really bad winter in the 80s. must have been about 86 , could not get out for 10 days, they helicoptered food into the Naafi , nearest other shops were 3 mile walk and they were rationing food, 1 loaf each and 1 bottle of milk . Oh and we were at the top of a hill, which was fine going down but coming back! Son was 2 and we went everywhere with him on a sledge with a cardboard box seat attached to it so we could put items on the sledge..

Yes I remember laying in bed with my daughter looking at the icicles covering the windows. Like you shopping was done on a sledge.

Love the photo - you must have been 'posh' - its in colour!! :D ::1a

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 1

Somehow my school opened. Only 3 staff didn't make it in. 2 of which where in my class.

Walked 1 1/2 miles to work, took an hour and got bumped by a car on the way down! Yes was in an accident on the way down. So I wasn't very pleased risking my life in bad weather just to get to work. Oh and ended up working a full school day too.

Not sure how to get to work tomorrow if it all turns to ice. We will see maybe 'ice sliding' to work! Hehehe

Its a miracle, I got my wish at last, awoke this morning to 1 inch of snow!!! Had a great time with the children even though it had all melted by lunchtime. Think we are just going to get the next lot as lots of rain tomorrow. At least I do not feel so left out now!!

Hope everyone is staying warm and safe!!

• Like 1

Its a miracle, I got my wish at last, awoke this morning to 1 inch of snow!!! Had a great time with the children even though it had all melted by lunchtime. Think we are just going to get the next lot as lots of rain tomorrow. At least I do not feel so left out now!!

Hope everyone is staying warm and safe!!

Yay! :1b

We had a parent today who brought us in a freshly made cake as a thank you for staying open.

I think it is interesting all the discussions going on currently on TV and radio about school closures.

It seems to me that head teachers close schools not just to be difficult but where as once health and safety started once a pupil arrived at the school (strangely it use to be the responsibility of the parents to get the child there safe :ph34r: ) now the poor head has to decide whether it is safe for the child/families and staff to travel to the school site.

In addition, it seems round here that if the school is not on a main road then the chances of the roads and PAVEMENTS (treacherous round here) being gritted are pretty slim. You can ask the caretaker to grit the school site but not all the roads leading too it. So surely the loacal authority and council must take some of the blame for school closures?

• Like 1

I feel so sorry for Headteachers........I really think this 'to close or not to close' is a no win situation........several parents have said to me that they wished the Primary School in our village was closed - their main concern is that there are very, very tricky conditions out there especially for driving........(hmmm - quite a few could quite easily walk :blink: ) and they would prefer not to feel the 'pressure' of getting children in.........

A real thaw has set in here today - yay xD Mind you not so yay when it freezes again tonight :(

no thawing here. Excellent snowman built today the range of things they found for his features was mind boggling. Pavements are treacherous, and freezing tonight - not much fun.

Cait, now that I have a granddaughter in the house does that mean I can stop cleaning again?

• Like 1

The village school here has stayed open the whole time, and the village has a snow watch team, volunteers who are supplied with snow shovels and grit who go out and clear pavements, along the main road anyway where there is pavement....side roads we all walk in the road!.

half the schools in local town were closed.. but all back after the weekend as the roads were all clear even if pavements were not...been raining overnight and snowing now slightly here.. but not settling now, its so wet outside it is melting as it touches the ground.

I did wonder what woudl happen if this continued for weeks and would the schools have to really rethink the criteria they look at for closing .

• Like 1

The village school here has stayed open the whole time, and the village has a snow watch team, volunteers who are supplied with snow shovels and grit who go out and clear pavements, along the main road anyway where there is pavement....side roads we all walk in the road!.

I love this idea! :1b

Don't think that I dare suggest this for our village though :blink: I can hear it now - oh brilliant 'she' can organise that then! xD