Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Revised EYFS Now Available

Helen

All this downloading! Just ordered 4 copies of the DM for staff at cost of £ 23 from Early Education! Got to be cheaper and more time efficient...after all it is the holidays! :)

keep on keeping on.....

Welcome to the forum Rafa!

I have also ordered from Early Education Online Store - £5.75 each didn't seem to bad to me :unsure: :D

I did initially, until I saw that the construction stuff is now in EAD. I thought the time/place aspects of the old EYFS pretty tedious, so I'm glad they've gone and have been incorporated into the one aspect! Have you identified some detail that should be there, honeypancakes?

I like the "different occupations and ways of life" statement :1b

have just read the revised EYFS and at first glance I'm really pleased with the change to seven areas and the prioity given to physical development but an unable to work out the changes this has on the pupil profle points. will the evidence based profile remain in place and will the 117 profile points be re written and reduced??? sorry so many questions, just trying to figure out how its all going to be organised for next year. Aghhhhhh

Hi Charlottesm,

The profile wil be reduced to the 17 ELGs, and reception teachers will need to decide whether the child's skills for each ELG are emerging/expected/exceeding. :1b

Hi everyone

I'm intrigued by the documents posted above to track children's development. I though we weren't supposed to use the development matters statements as checklists. Does everyone do it like this?

I think the term 'checklist' has many different interpretations. For me a checklist is just that: a list of whatever that you tick - no evidence just the opinion of the person applying the ticks!

We have always highlighted the DM statements but each statement is only highlighted when we have objective observations and/or photographic evidence to 'support' the highlighting. Individual statements are never highlighted from one observation, evidence is sought of the child's achievement in different contexts. The end result (in my opinion) is an accurate record of a childs progress and is in no way a checklist. Since we started doing this we have had OFSTED inspections 3 times and on each occasion have been complimented on the progress records kept.

Would be interested to hear what others think

yes gezabel we also do something similar...the children are 'tracked' using the development matters statements and the key workers have to provide evidence of why they think this child has acheived this point...it is only 'signed' off when they have completed all of that statement. ....ours are done in a different colour for each term so that we can see the progress easily and then this is what is reported back to the parents, with ideas for what we are going to support next term.

Does anyone else think Understanding the World is a bit thin?

H

I did initially, until I saw that the construction stuff is now in EAD. I thought the time/place aspects of the old EYFS pretty tedious, so I'm glad they've gone and have been incorporated into the one aspect! Have you identified some detail that should be there, honeypancakes?

I like the "different occupations and ways of life" statement :1b

Am gutted that 'Exploration and Investigation' and 'Designing and Making' have been moved out. Have based all my observations for an assignment around these aspects and now they seem irrelevant.

Sigh!

Honey

Honey, I know what you mean. There is only one mention of "explore" (16-26 months) and it would have been so much better to keep it in the older age-groups too, along with investigating, but the 30-50 and 40-60 bands do still have the idea of observing and exploring, maybe?

I can't find anything that mentions designing yet, can you...although "constructs with a purpose in mind" comes close.

Just reading the development matters and does anyone else think that this statement is a bit strange "Walks downstairs, two feet to each step while carrying a small object." If I did have stairs in my pre-school I don't think that I would encourage children to carry things down the stairs. I know that these are written with childminders and parents in mind. Is it me being over cautious because we don't encourage children to use the steps on the climbing equipment with toys in their hand.

No I dont think you are as I never encouraged my own children when small to walk up and downstairs whilst carrying something and at work all the children know that is a strict no no on our climbing equipment. However I wonder if they have put that so it can be assessed if they are able to do so without support? i.e if they are carrying an object they cant hold onto the bannisters or a rail?

I agree with Catma, not a check-list where each statement has to be formally 'assessed'.

Having said that, my grandson at 2.5 frequently comes down our stairs carrying Makka Pakka or a favourite book. Stairs are quite different from the 'rungs' that are more likely to be found on climbing frames, I would hold on climbing up a ladder, and would come down backwards.

Many settings don't have stairs, but may have a step or two into the building, and children often come to nursery with objects in their hands.

I have already posted this query under another thread, but as i have had no replies thought I would be cheeky and post again.

Has anyone else found some of the new development statements confusing? As an example, the 40- 60 the statement in Literacy-Reading says "Hear and say the initial sounds in words" , and then in Literacy - Writing says " Hears and says the initial sounds in words". So do they both mean what they say i.e when you notice a child can hear and say the initial sounds in words, they have covered both statements, or am i missing something here? Why is hearing and saying in both categories? Confused....

There are several others a bit like this, and I am struggling to work out what I am supposed to be doing! It seems to me that the more I look, the more confused I get!! I am also struggling to get my head around how we are going to imlement the 2 year checks in a way that is both meaningful and manageable. My concern is particularly for thise children who join us shortly before their 3rd birthday. We would have to complete their check at a point where they are still settling in and we are still getting to know them, Also realistically we need to manage the timings of these, so that we can make time available for staff to hold a discussion with the parents and write up the report. Has anyone come up with a procedure for this yet?

Has anyone else found some of the new development statements confusing? As an example, the 40- 60 the statement in Literacy-Reading says "Hear and say the initial sounds in words" , and then in Literacy - Writing says " Hears and says the initial sounds in words". So do they both mean what they say i.e when you notice a child can hear and say the initial sounds in words, they have covered both statements, or am i missing something here? Why is hearing and saying in both categories? Confused....

If you read each statement as a separate entity it may seem odd, but if you look at the different skills that describe a typical child at this stage of development in their entirety, in either writing or reading, then they would be hearing and saying initial sounds in the context of either segmenting for writing or blending for reading. They aren't single outcomes but part of the range of skills a child secure at this stage of development may demonstrate for either outcome and are preskills for either the writing or reading ELGs.

Cx

sorry to admit that I haven't read all the posts in this thread so apologies if this has already been posts.....

PSLA are offering a printed copy of docs to members for £7 from this link.... https://shop.pre-school.org.uk/A002?source=email-194

and NDNA are offering them to anyone for £9.50 from this link .... http://www.ndna.org..../eyfs-framework

Edited by mps09

mps09 you just beat me to it! I've ordered the Early education publication but if anyone gets the PSLA one could you let me know if it is worth the £7 before our membership ends and I'll get that too if it's got more in it that the EE one? Thanks.

Surely they should be the same??

Just what I was thinking Cait. Unless each organisation has added their own supporting guidance for practitioners? That would explain the variation in prices. It will be interesting to see what the feedback is!

Just what I was thinking Cait. Unless each organisation has added their own supporting guidance for practitioners? That would explain the variation in prices. It will be interesting to see what the feedback is!

Oohhh and me now! I just assumed they would be the same - but having looked at their websites again it appears that the PSLA are offering

Statutory Framework for Early Years Foundation Stage

Development Matters in the EYFS

A Know How Guide: The EYFS Progress Check at Age Two

while the NDNA state that "Each copy, which includes both the EYFS and Development Matters, costs just £9.50, including postage" so maybe not the progress check?

given that it is expressly stated in the revised eyfs that paperwork should be reduced to the minimum, I just wanted to know what if anything you are all planning to cut down?? As far as I can see, our paperwork is not going to be reduced at all, infact actually increased as we now need to cover the 2 year old checks. . What am I missing?

• Like 1

given that it is expressly stated in the revised eyfs that paperwork should be reduced to the minimum, I just wanted to know what if anything you are all planning to cut down?? As far as I can see, our paperwork is not going to be reduced at all, infact actually increased as we now need to cover the 2 year old checks. . What am I missing?

Unfortunately I agree! There seem's very little in the Development Matters that will make a difference. I haven't digested the Statutory Framework in full yet but even there I can't see alot has changed, the only reference being to risk assessments really. :blink:

But are you really going to reduce trip RA's ? We only do 2 or 3 non regular trips each year, so frankly, this will save me at max 1 to 1.5 hrs per year, and if I am honest, I will actually still do written RA's just to cover ourselves should anything happen, so in reality, no reduction at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)