Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Revised EYFS Now Available

Helen

Early Excellence are selling hard copies of the Development Matters booklet for £5.75 each. They have a minimum invoice value of £30, but a friend of mine was quoted £89.20 to photocopy and bind one copy of the new EYFS materials (Statutory guidance, Development Matters and 2 year old check guidance).

Here's the link to the website: http://shop.early-ed...lopment-Matters

HOW MUCH!!!!

personally have just printed out in draft format in black and white...it has come out fine and not made a huge dent in my printing ink or budget! ;)

but a friend of mine was quoted £89.20 to photocopy and bind one copy of the new EYFS materials (Statutory guidance, Development Matters and 2 year old check guidance).

How much?? I put a new colour and black ink cartridge in my printer (£22) and printed 2 copies of statutory guidance, development matters, 2 yr old check guidance and the overall changes. Think it was about 212 pages altgother so almost half a pack of paper (£2.20) I was going to get them bound but decided to buy two 60 pocket display books at £5 each, I printed the front page on sticky A4 and stuck it on the front! Looks really smart and total cost for two complete copies £37:20

You may need to invest in some reinforcement rings HoneyPancakes, that'll bump the amount up a bit. (hehe)

I've spine binded mine, re-used a binding comb from something else which was scrap

• Like 1

Otherwise I'm utterly underwhelmed by the document to be honest. All that waiting and then nothing much has changed at all really!!

Cx

That was my reaction too - not much has changed. The wording of the DM's are a little clearer, and condensed but they are still there.

Has any one picked up the bit about all staff handling food need food hygiene certs. Only I am but we only provide snacks. What are your thoughts?

Buttercup

Yes I noticed that too. In our setting 2 out of 5 staff members have hygiene certificates and cascaded their training to others. Recently had food hygiene inspection and got the highest rating. Needs clarifying I think.

Hi everyone

I'm intrigued by the documents posted above to track children's development. I though we weren't supposed to use the development matters statements as checklists. Does everyone do it like this?

Hi everyone

I'm intrigued by the documents posted above to track children's development. I though we weren't supposed to use the development matters statements as checklists. Does everyone do it like this?

I got told this as well. What do you use them for?

Hi Finlay's Maid... your link for the printed book at Early Excellence doesn't work - could you possibly post again please?

If you read the guidance on how to use the 'Development matters' [p.3] it shows you how 'Developmental Matters' can 'help practitioners to support children’s learning and development, by closely matching what they provide to a child’s current needs,' So its not a case of using them as checklists but looking at where they are now developmentally and planning possible next steps or extending their learning. So thats how I use them. Its also about assessing and tracking progress.

Hi Finlay's Maid... your link for the printed book at Early Excellence doesn't work - could you possibly post again please?

actually its not my link...i just quoted it ...i think it's happy maz's look back a couple more posts!!

(oh and Finley says could you please spell his name correctly :oxD :rolleyes: )

actually its not my link...i just quoted it ...i think it's happy maz's look back a couple more posts!!

Both links work for me! :1b Why not go to the Early Education website, and do a search for 'EYFS Development Matters'?

At the moment we have to highlight the areas children are at and then send them with comments to the school they are going to. It also keeps track of where they are in development.

This is exactly what you said though a checklist.

buttercup

I used to have a similar document with all the development matters statements down the left hand side of the page, with several blank columns so that the dates of observations could be recorded alongside so that the key person could keep a track of where the evidence was for each statement. This would then be used in planning etc because it gave a good visual picture of which age band the child was working in, and where the gaps in the evidence might be. The evidence could then be more easily interpreted by the key person for reports/discussions with parents and so on.

I think whenever the statements are presented on their own there might be a worry that they'll be used as a ticklist, but once practitioners are knowledgeable and understand why a checklist isn't always appropriate, the risk of this lessons and documents like the ones Cait and moo200 linked to can be useful.

We will be using the development matters unique child statements alongside our LJs to monitor where children are developmentally and to inform next step planning. Each short obs in our LJ is linked to a dm statement. Its not used as a checklist but as a way of clearly seeing where a child is in their own personal learning journey. We have worked this way with the old DM for the last 3 years and it works really well. The reformed EYFS trusted the practitioner to make such judgements about what works to ensure children are supported.

Here is our new DM book below .....

Development matters statements.doc

Kxx

• Like 1

My county requires us to highlight statements and then pass the document onto the school when children leave

same here, they incorporate them into the transition records. wonder when the new ones will be sent out ???

Here's how we use ours (as required for our funding agreement by the LA)!

All obs are labelled o1, o2 etc. and written in the evidence column. There not used as a checklist but more to monitor where the children are at and plan for their next steps as it were. I know not all LA's specify but I'm glad ours do, makes it much easier when children transfer settings!

By the end of the years they are highlighted in a hotch potch of colours all over the place as children don't develop (and we don't observe) to order!!!

I like it, keeps us focused and the development matters statements are underpinned by 'developmental norms'. Each and every year some statements just don't get highlighted, I often wondered if this was because of the 'suitability' of them rather than the children or provision! Will be interested to see how this pans out under the revisions. I'm glad their clearer but sorry to see the end of 'look, listen, note' descriptors.

Also, there are times when we may have enough obs to highlight a particular statement but know that in all honesty the child is not capable in this area and at the end of their time with us we use our professional judgements to highlight despite a lack of evidence.

Hope that makes sense!

UCP 30-50 draft 2.doc

I'm glad their clearer but sorry to see the end of 'look, listen, note' descriptors.

You could still use them if you wanted to! Neither of the dev matters docs are statutory so if you like LLN then carry on using them or write your own to match the new descriptors.

Cx

Edited by catma

You could still use them if you wanted to! Neither of the dev matters docs are statutory so if you like LLN then carry on using them or write your own to match the new descriptors.

Cx

Oh god, I'm feeling quite keen at the moment but not that keen!!!!!!! ;)

Goodness, considering we are having to print these ourselves they could have made them a little less 'ink hungry' couldn't they!!

Big Blue Blocks!! ! ! (know how guide for two year check) Do they think we are made of money??? Arghhhh!

has anyone read anywhere that we still have to keep journals with photographic evidence? i know that it is good practise, parents like receiving them and i also like providing them but is it a requirement?

has anyone read anywhere that we still have to keep journals with photographic evidence? i know that it is good practise, parents like receiving them and i also like providing them but is it a requirement?

I expect Learning Journeys will still be required by the LA but would be good if these could be WELL reduced re photos! Sooo much unpaid work AGAIN, Hey ho..

All this downloading! Just ordered 4 copies of the DM for staff at cost of £ 23 from Early Education! Got to be cheaper and more time efficient...after all it is the holidays! :)

keep on keeping on.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)