Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Revised EYFS Now Available

Helen

Think some parents who choose to be at home with kids until they are reception age need to download docs too, to see what they should be doing?? I don't think so!!

Thank you so much for going to the effort of providing these files to download-It has saved a very busy Nursery precious time xx

I have just finished my first read through and my think no major changes, However the 2 year old assesment (of which we currently do for all our children in our particular format ). The cynical part of me would like to know is this not what Health visitors use to do and i know there is a shortage of them but are they not paid by the goverment for this job so my question is are we to recive a payment for this sevices

health visitors have not done the 2 year checks for years now.. I was always aware that children starting with us at 3 was the time we picked up any 'problems' and had to be aware of it... - think they only got help if parents asked for it - that is certainly what happens in this area and if parent is unwilling to ask we had the job.. if they attended a CC it often helped as they noticed, it is reintroducing something that they noticed was missing in the simplest way they could think of that added no cost.. more HV to do it would certainly be more costly.

often wonder if it is because of this lack of a check at 2 we have so many not toilet trained.. HV would address that or offer advice at that check they did when my son was 2 ( but I had Saafa not a NHS HV which does operate differently)

Having had a quick read through I need some clarification with outings in the revised EYFS it states

"3.64 Children must be kept safe while on outings, and providers must obtain

written parental permission for children to take part in outings. Providers must

assess the risks or hazards which may arise for the children, and must identify

the steps to be taken to remove, minimise and manage those risks and

hazards. The assessment must include consideration of adult to child ratios.

The risk assessment does not necessarily need to be in writing; this is for

providers to judge"

does this mean that I am able to decide my own adult to child ratios and that there is no legal requirement to have 1:2/3?

Edited by Guest

Having had a quick read through I need some clarification with outings in the revised EYFS it states

"3.64 Children must be kept safe while on outings, and providers must obtain

written parental permission for children to take part in outings. Providers must

assess the risks or hazards which may arise for the children, and must identify

the steps to be taken to remove, minimise and manage those risks and

hazards. The assessment must include consideration of adult to child ratios.

The risk assessment does not necessarily need to be in writing; this is for

providers to judge"

does this mean that I am able to decide my own adult to child ratios and that there is no legal requirement to have 1:2/3?

there is no legal requirement for ratios on outings now...it is based on what you feel is appropriate to the needs of the children you are taking (obviously observing the normal ratios for indoors)...so if you have 3 sen children in a group then a ratio of 1:8 may not be appropriate for instance

if anyone updates they planning sheet could you post it on here. do the prigress review mean we wont need to do learning and develoment records (repoerts) anymore. we were advised by a adviser we should do these for every child once a term which is far too much really.

Hello everyone

Can I add my thanks to those great people who posted links to the new documents, saved me so much time.

Well what a buzz! Having looked at it all on the whole thinking not bad. Would rather they left things like maths and reading out altogether but hey that would be asking for a miracle. At least they have realised some things aren't suitable for babies - for example on page 41 - technology the development matters statements start at age band 16-26 months.

Worst thing is the development checks at age 2. Once again more work and effort and no more pay, help or training- normal thing. However that said I don`t think they are as bad as I first thought - fingers crossed.

I like the Development Matters section, it seems better thought out and clearer. I like the way its been arranged according to the headings - a unique child, positive relationships and enabling environments. Some of the statements are much clearer too. The reminder at the bottom of each page that children develop at their own rates and in their own ways is positive too. :1b

• Like 1

i would have to say that I am a little confused as to where exactly the reduction in paperwork lies. The development matters staemnets have not reduced, just the ELG's so it seems my development records will be as long winded as ever. The only reduction I can see is the No requirement to do a written RA for outings, however, I can't see how we could robustly defend ourselves if an incident occurred on an outing and we had no formal record of the RA, so I will still be writing mine up.

So far the "reduction" in paperwork seems to actually require me to

1. review and ammend as necessary all pols and procedures

2. completely re write our child record sheets

3. change my planning format for the new areas of learning

4. change my prospectus, website and info for parents

I could go on, but I'm getting a headache already trying to figure out why my work load has gone up not down!!!!!!

• Like 1

i would have to say that I am a little confused as to where exactly the reduction in paperwork lies. The development matters staemnets have not reduced, just the ELG's so it seems my development records will be as long winded as ever. The only reduction I can see is the No requirement to do a written RA for outings, however, I can't see how we could robustly defend ourselves if an incident occurred on an outing and we had no formal record of the RA, so I will still be writing mine up.

I could go on, but I'm getting a headache already trying to figure out why my work load has gone up not down!!!!!!

Yes very sadly have to agree ....unless i've missed something this will cost a fortune in time and paper and my summer off that i did not have last year seems to have disappeared for another year... :angry: anyway there was not much in there i didn't expect...apart from the rag rating on ELG's ....or have i just missed that one??

The development statements seem about the same length I think, a bit of repetition has gone, and they seem to be better worded for the most part. As you say though, a summer of revamping everything ahead!! At least we have it now, not the week before we break up for the summer, so time to assimilate it a bit over time. (I still HATE having to write 'train track' though - I'd hoped that would be taken out or re-worded!)

In my haste to get a look at it, I will admit to having only briefly scanned both the framework and the development matters. I think the 'set-up' paperwork for this may well be a bit arduous.

I think maybe, in the past, we have got a tad hung up on excessive paperwork anyway, and on reading this new document and going through it methodically we may well be able to reduce the paperwork we have in setting.

The one thing I haven't seemed to see in this document is any mention of self-assessment or ongoing action plans/ improvements? Is it me just missing it????

:( I had come to the same conclusion.........

Help my printer wont print it misses out sentances or odd words. Why does it do that? it is a mystery to me and yet i can print other things . Seem to have problems with stuff downloaded

sometimes i wish i had better IT skills

My thoughts the same. Took it to read whilst daughter swimming. How sad is that. From what I can see we have to do a check at 2-3yrs but then that is it. Cannot see any mention about transfer records for school or other assessments. At the moment we highlight dev matters statements which have not come with the document only found out about them by going on here so thank you. We also do a termly review on all children which goes to parents. So am thinking maybe it could be less work.

Has any one picked up the bit about all staff handling food need food hygiene certs. Only I am but we only provide snacks. What are your thoughts?

Buttercup

Environmental health did a spot check on us last week - our first ever!

She was happy one staff member had a health and safety level 3 certificate (which cover basic food) and said she would recommend deputy or manager to do food certifcate but not essential with snacks...

She gave us top level 5 award! we are in kent.

I cannot get onto the foundation years web site at all........is this just me or is it a general issue? I've tested every known thing on my laptop but every other thing is working fine! I have the docs downloaded but wanted to look at the documents from the strategies they have archived.

Otherwise I'm utterly underwhelmed by the document to be honest. All that waiting and then nothing much has changed at all really!!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)