Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Funny Things Children Say

I’ve been doing some lessons about how the properties of different materials affect their use. So, I had a series of silly questions which they had to answer yes/no because... In answer to ‘Can you have a paper jumper?’ One little boy wrote:

”No because you’d get paper cuts in your armpits.”

He’s not wrong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 months later...

I had a belter yesterday. 

This was overheard as two 4 year olds walked past the office “have you had your tea yet? No, I don’t know where my knickers are”

it’s kept me giggling all day

(rest assured we found the missing item promptly, hazard of toileting independence 😂😂😂)

• Haha 4

We found a dead baby bird today. The children had a lively discussion about how it might or might not have died. Suddenly a child said "His dad can fix it!' 

I couldn't think of anything sensible comment, but soon another child said "No, he can't" so I said "Why not?"

The quick reply I got was "Because he has claws".

All I could say to that was 'Aha'

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

18 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

after school club today.i was complaining about the heat and said Im having a hot flush (as you do) one of the older ones said Oh my Nan has those ALL the time! ….hummm great9_9

🤣 Fm, that reminded me of the little girl who on me telling her how old I was took a moment to ponder this and came out with “you’re going to be dead soon, just like my granny and my cat” 🐈 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

🤣 Fm, that reminded me of the little girl who on me telling her how old I was took a moment to ponder this and came out with “you’re going to be dead soon, just like my granny and my cat” 🐈 

Ouch!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have my 3 year old granddaughter here this afternoon, she is becoming interested in letter sounds......

She pulled an apple from her box of plastic food and said "a is for apple", then pulled out a tomato and said what sound is this...…..I said 't' she said yes "t for formato"!xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I dug out a set of Christmas playing cards this morning - thought I would run through the illustrations with the children before we started playing …….so all the usual Christmas tree, star, bell etc etc

When I got to 'baby Jesus in his manger' 'J' aged 4 was really excited and said...…... "Oh I know, it's a barbecue"!

:oxDxD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

We took all our children to the pantomime the other day. I had the joy of sitting next to a little boy who was totally immersed in the whole experience. During one of the dance numbers he excitedly announced “I know this one! It’s Shake it off but this is the backing off track!”

Also, my sister-in-law sent a video of my niece (just 2) seeing their Christmas tree for the first time (mummy and daddy decorated overnight as a surprise). Her excitement is tangible and she comments on the lights and the “big leafis” but I particularly loved “Why it got marbles?”

• Like 2

Talking to my 3 year old granddaughter about the first Christmas - I asked her if she could remember what present the shepherds gave to baby Jesus...…..she suggested "a conker" (I have no idea where that came from) so I said "no darling they gave him a lamb" - her reply "that's just silly nana" :oxD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

we took the group to watch year R nativity, they all really enjoyed it. As the school children left the stage the manger was left on the stage - one of little girls said

"Oh good, they left baby Jesus in the manger, he can have a rest and some peace and quiet now."xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, blondie said:

we took the group to watch year R nativity, they all really enjoyed it. As the school children left the stage the manger was left on the stage - one of little girls said

"Oh good, they left baby Jesus in the manger, he can have a rest and some peace and quiet now."xD

that took me a minute to work out...I read MANAGER not manger!:D

• Like 2

10 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

that took me a minute to work out...I read MANAGER not manger!:D

I hope they risk assessed what to do if the manager was left behind - I assume they had a nominated, responsible deputy who could lead in the manager's absence :):)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

This week we have been writing our own version of the Three Little Pigs (Y1) children had to change the pigs to another creature.  As I was marking I came across this gem...

Once upon a time there were three cute rabbis... I know they were aiming for rabbits but I would love to see the full rabbi story!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Froglet said:

This week we have been writing our own version of the Three Little Pigs (Y1) children had to change the pigs to another creature.  As I was marking I came across this gem...

Once upon a time there were three cute rabbis... I know they were aiming for rabbits but I would love to see the full rabbi story!

Have you read The Three little Aliens and the big bad robot to them.  My pre schoolers loved it, but I'm sure year 1 would too

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

So two of my more lively boys decided it would be funny to spit at each other whilst waiting to go outside.  I brought them back into the playroom and explained that we do not do that at school  it’s rude and dirty, blah, blah.  One of them looked at me and said we can do it at home! I explained that they must not do it at home either, only to be stopped in my tracks by one of them saying “I’ve got boggies  up my nose”. What on Earth that had to do with anything, I have no idea!🙄

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Trying to encourage my niece to drink more water. She shakes her head and says “I’m not a drinker.”!

I have to say although I can’t exactly show or explain here that her impression of how Year 6 leavers use their phones is one of the funniest things I’ve seen in ages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This just tickled me as we struggle with eldest granddaughter to drink more too.   If she and her sister stay over I make it a competition between them and challenge them to a five second suck on the straw who can drink the most - I put felt tipped marks on their flasks, or I have a colour in chart on the go, it's a hard one to get them to drink

• 2 months later...

4 year old granddaughter here enjoying a spot of drawing - she drew round a teddy stencil and then added facial features including some truly spectacular eyelashes...

Me: oooh lovely eyelashes, is she a girl, are you going to draw some clothes?

L: yes I will draw her a 'flouce'

Me: Lovely, hmm, I'm not sure what a flouce is, where do you wear one of those?

L: here (rubbing the top half of her body) and laughing at her nana's inferior knowledge

Me: ah a blouse?

L: yes, that's what I said, a blouse

xD did she heck and also who uses the word 'blouse', wonder where she heard that xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2