Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enter if you’ve washed your hands

Mouseketeer

We have just had an email from the Department for education to say:

Funding for free childcare offers to continue in the event of coronavirus closures

Today the Chancellor has confirmed the Government will continue to pay for free early years entitlement places even if settings are closed on the advice of Public Health England or children are not able to attend due to coronavirus. We expect local authorities to follow the Department’s position, and to continue early entitlements funding for all childminders, schools and nurseries. We will not be asking for funding back from local authorities.

 The Government’s advice remains that childcare settings should stay open unless advised otherwise by Public Health England, and today’s announcement should help settings to continue to do so. This will minimise both longer-term disruption to parents and any income losses that providers may otherwise experience.

The full statement can be found here:

·         https://www.gov.uk/government/news/free-childcare-offers-to-continue-during-coronavirus-closures

We have just been contacted by our LEA to ask if we would be prepared to provide spaces for keyworkers children. I assume from this therfore that they are planning to keep us open. To be honest i am happy with this although i know some will not be, as we already have keyworker children in the setting We have offered places for 4-8 year olds if required. (various reasins for the age grouping!!!) we are set up for holiday club too so ok till Easter.

• Like 2

But the rules at the moment from my LA on if you choose to close because of staff shortages are that you have to make a business case for payment of fees to you. In a small setting, I'm already 2 out of 6 staff down so if anymore are ill or self isolating, I won't really be able to open safely.

Could I please ask any one from Surrey Early years service to please contact their settings to offer support and clarification on what PVI'S  are now to do. Do we stay open for one or two children only because they have an EHCP in place? We just need to hear some reassuring words PLEASE!

1 hour ago, Camco10 said:

Could I please ask any one from Surrey Early years service to please contact their settings to offer support and clarification on what PVI'S  are now to do. Do we stay open for one or two children only because they have an EHCP in place? We just need to hear some reassuring words PLEASE!

I think this was sprung on them too today...we were only contacted this afternoon...still awaiting for info from ours (across the border a bit!!)

After the news today of nurseries being asked to close all I can say is I’m so sad that I may be saying goodbye to many of my children now that I may not be seeing again as we may be closed for all of the summer term. So many emails in my inbox that I can’t answer from parents. How do we face tomorrow how do we face parents, staff, children....... I feel totally lost as what to say... my little business of beautiful Little children has just come crashing down. How do we tell these babies in our care that next week we are closed and we don’t even know when we will reopen... 

8 hours ago, Camco10 said:

I do appreciate that the news today may have been sprung on them but we have all been tryng to get to grips with things for quite a few days now. A few words of support might have been nice. 

I agree, we finally heard from our EY team 2 days ago and that was to tell us something we already knew yet they were thanking people who had praised them for their support...what support was that?

And now the EYA has decided to fight our corner, a decent small groups insurance package for what it b****y costs in the first place would have been a good start 😡 

Stay strong everyone, let’s hope for some clarification today on open/not open, who for, what are staff pay liabilities going to be etc....

6 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

our poor childminders havent had anything so far either

I appreciate they’re all up to their necks too but a generic email that just said  ‘we’re listening, send us your concerns/questions’ would have done not gone underground, easy for them to all go off homeworking  :-( 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

Did any one notice that where it says stay open for key workers and vulnerable children ………………….it includes supermarket delivery drivers!!   

Best look through children's registration forms for parents occupations  :o

"After schools shut their gates on Friday afternoon, they will remain closed until further notice except for children of key workers and vulnerable children, as part of the country’s ongoing response to coronavirus.

Examples of these workers include NHS staff, police and supermarket delivery drivers who need to be able to go to work to support the country’s fight to tackle coronavirus. Vulnerable children include those who have a social worker and those with Education, Health and Care Plans – a legal document that describes a child’s special educational needs and the support they require"

12 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

One of our childminders just messages me to say shes heard from Tesco Costa and sainsburys offerig support but nothing from the LEA xD:D

Yeahhhhhh free coffee :-D 

I removed parent jobs as a not need to know bit of information under GDPR (just contact for them during the day) but asked all to send in last week, only have a couple I think, though one list I saw of keyworkers Posted by a school has nursery staff on it 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Mouseketeer

Is anyone planning to stay open?  We have keyworkers' children, vulnerable children, those on CP plans etc.  We are staying open to the bitter end  - until I don't have enough staff or the army come and take me away.  This ship isn't ready to sink yet!  Anyone else doing the same?

• Like 1

We are closing as we have no families that fall into those categories. I truly cannot get my head around how long this may be for.  I am going to make up simple hone learning activity packs on a weekly basis and parents can collect from outside pre-school and also borrow any books as well. I have said I will also deliver to anyone self isolating or unable to drive.  Have also been asked to do video challenges for the children.  Surreal times.

• Like 1

I'm trying to wrap my head around who we have to offer hours to, I have the list of key workers but......what if one parent is an NHS worker but the other is not?  do we offer hours only to children who have both parents who are key workers? I have several who are, for example, one parent is a teacher and one a builder! , what hours are we supposed to offer???  not had any guidance from the local authority! I have one child who could be classed as vulnerable, and a couple who have additional needs but no EHCP ! 

10 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Yeahhhhhh free coffee :-D 

I removed parent jobs as a not need to know bit of information under GDPR (just contact for them during the day) but asked all to send in last week, only have a couple I think, though one list I saw of keyworkers Posted by a school has nursery staff on it 🤷‍♀️

We have a section on our parent emergency contacts details - So those actually show work addresses etc, so we can work out from that.

We have one nurse who was shocked to think we would remain open for her. She said she already had her cover sorted :) .

We are just term time sessional, with no before/after school club etc. So I guess many of ours have back up cover anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, louby loo said:

We are just term time sessional, with no before/after school club etc. So I guess many of ours have back up cover anyway.

We’re the same Louby, we only have a couple obvious ones until we know the KW list (I thought that was being announced but not even mentioned), but I guess if staff on full pay we will stay open, though we won’t have any milk as cool milk have jumped in already to cancel milk deliveries.

What is everyone else doing re staff wages? I’m seeing so many posts saying will only pay all SSP, surely that isn’t an option especially if they aren’t actually ill and if claiming all the funding they will be profiting quite nicely in some cases without as Boris says ‘standing by their employees’ 🤔 

4 minutes ago, twinthinguk said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around who we have to offer hours to, I have the list of key workers but......what if one parent is an NHS worker but the other is not?  do we offer hours only to children who have both parents who are key workers? I have several who are, for example, one parent is a teacher and one a builder! , what hours are we supposed to offer???  not had any guidance from the local authority! I have one child who could be classed as vulnerable, and a couple who have additional needs but no EHCP ! 

Our LA (which we have heard absolutely nothing from until yesterday) seem to have really got there act together. They are setting up 'hubs' for these  groups children and they are asking setting if they will: a) offer their setting as a hub, and b) can they offer staff to work in the hubs.

I'm impressed if I'm honest. :)

• Like 2