Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Coping with change

Hi All

After working in an industry that has had so much change over the past decade, I can't believe that practitioners still find it a problem to reflect and move on. Do other Managers still find it a problem. I'm not talking about any major changes, just perhaps changing apple to oranges, a declutter and tidy, a flexible approach to planning, introducing Tapestry!

Over the years I have tried the hard line, softly softly but nothing works. I have written essays on it and even the lecturers comments were 'some people can't accept change'

Any ideas would be appreciated.

My staff team is so small - this makes it easy to start any discussions about 'changes' with phrases like "what would you think about......" or "xxxxxx is not really working, have you got any ideas on how we could change this"

We are a 'mature' team too and we have a lot of respect for each other which really helps

• Like 2

My staff team is so small - this makes it easy to start any discussions about 'changes' with phrases like "what would you think about......" or "xxxxxx is not really working, have you got any ideas on how we could change this"

We are a 'mature' team too and we have a lot of respect for each other which really helps

So you've embraced that change to tapestry then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Sorry I got distracted by sunnydays post. :o

Ideas.... not sure I have any really. I usually find I need to be creative - so find ways for the staff to think it was their idea to change things in the first place!

I'm lucky though like sunnyday we have all mature staff, but I still find sometimes things will slip back into old ways if I'm not careful.

Hi Allthe

After working in an industry that has had so much change over the past decade, I can't believe that practitioners still find it a problem to reflect and move on. Do other Managers still find it a problem. I'm not talking about any major changes, just perhaps changing apple to oranges, a declutter and tidy, a flexible approach to planning, introducing Tapestry!

Over the years I have tried the hard line, softly softly but nothing works. I have written essays on it and even the lecturers comments were 'some people can't accept change'

Hmm I've called for a couple of changes this term and that's put the willies up one member of staff - she lacks self confidence really and the changes worry her, they will ultimately change her routine and the way she manages next steps and learning stories and she has repeated similar questions over the last 2/3 weeks to make sure that she feels she fully understands what to do. I think in our minds as managers we perhaps have our own ways, but getting that message across sometimes is hard for others to see the vision we have. My usual phrase is "it's not rocket science" but to some maybe it is, nobody really embraces change and we find it unsettling, just like when the supermarket changes the aisles around grrrrrrrrrr :blink: :blink:

there will always be those saying "but we've always done it like that" "it;s always worked so why change it?"etc., - but I try to discuss changes at staff meetings - talk about how we do it now and ask for ideas on how it could be improved.

My final line for anyone still moaning is

"It's a new Ofsted ruling" (can always blame Ofsted lol)

• Like 3

"It's a new Ofsted ruling" (can always blame Ofsted lol)

Yes I have been know to say that occasionally, usually works as no-one else actually keeps up to date with official changes ::1a

I have been known to say - Yes, well years ago it seemed good practice to send children up chimney's, but we've stopped doing that now. :1b I have to say that one is usually met with silence as they know I serious about the changes needed.

lsp - that's the one I use and it drives them mad - they dread me having a 'quiet' evening as it usually results in lots of suggestions - I also have staff who struggle with change and am reassured by the fact that I am not alone. Our profession constantly changes, not just the legal requirements but the day to day stuff - what works one day inevitably doesn't work the next which is why I also struggle to understand why practitioners struggle with any change.

I am afraid to say there are times when it is tough love and they do as they are told.

Thanks for your replies. You are right making them think they thought of it is the answer but sometimes it is just so wearing. I thought our LEA advisor coming in would work but no they don't agree with any of her suggestions. I end up going round in circles.

As we are parent community run tough love doesn't work as a parent group would never discipline staff and they know that.

• Like 2

I pick my arguments

lead by example

try to inspire

question them and expect to be questioned

encourage discussion

often go with a lets try it for the next xxxxweeks and then we'll review as a team

spend as much as I can on training /visits etc

sometimes set competitions!! with prizes!!!

do join obs (although I don't do enough of these that are recorded...but I will tell them if I like or don't like something!

...I also have a strong set of trustees (who are mainly parents ) who would definitely tell me if there was something they didn't like

BUT at the end of the day YOU are the boss and sometimes they just have to suck it up and do what you say ;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some very good points here that I'll pass onto our Manager, Thanks.

We have just had a new deputy start who has already acknowledged staff/team do not take change very well and thus far are not very welcoming. As chair she has vented to me but I have left it for her and the manager to work on, they are now the duo and need to support each ogher.. Some staff are so set in their ways, do not like change or new faces!

Just one small thought............................don't forget that some people aren't being stubborn, or resistant......................for some, change IS very difficult.Routine and a regular ways of doing things are really important. Think of it this way, a friend of mine has just been diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome. It suddenly explains a lot of things ( he's in his 50's)............and his lifelong need for routine and things to be done in a certain way. He had no idea that he was on the Autistic spectrum, it arose because of a problem at work. So, people may not realise. It's just a thought, but as we would consider our children..........let's not forget our adults too. Discussion and working together is always the way forward

• Like 4

Hi ALL,

I dont know most of my team have worked with each for years with me...Change is normal for us its cosistency that we lack I think. And some times communicating. throw in what we call the young blood lol and its a crazy mix.

This nursery manger bit is doing me in a little.... after I get these Ofsted out the way....I may just pass the baton! lol