Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Am I being old fashioned....

re uniform....?? when we opened our Nursery 11 years ago,staff contracts read

black TROUSERS,

no jeans,supplied tops,no short short shorts.....no flip flops for safety reasons..

..and still do,even for new staff.But since last year the age range has changed....now from 19...to 64...me being 64....but

now the youngest is wearing leggings...which I hate unless your legs are a nice

shape... . and just this week 2 members of staff have started to wear tight black

jeans.....is it me being a prude.....since my legs would not look good in leggings...what do u all do for uniform....appreciate all your comments xx

I don't think a dress code of some sort is unreasonable and if your contracts state this, then you should raise it. I always hated strappy tops and very short skirts when I was managing, as well as fake nails and dangly earrings. In most cases there were sensible reasons, health and safety, etc.

But at the same time, I don't think you can ban leggings just because you think you don't look good in them or define their wear by the 'niceness' of the legs in them.you either accept them or you don't. I am an occasional leggings wearer, just because they are extremely comfortable for me, so I would probably be happier to see those than I would shorts and flipflops.

Perhaps now is a good time to review the staff dress code with your team so that they have been part of the decision making?

• Like 3

It is an awkward situation but they have to conform to an appropriate dress code if it is in their contracts. My husband fumes that at his school he and his male colleagues have to wear a collar and tie whatever the heat, the pupils have to wear their uniform whilst the female staff arrive in strappy dresses sometimes low necked and sometimes short,

Where I work the uniform is blue trousers, polo shirt and closed toed shoes but when management arrive in sandals and a wide range of apparel it is difficult to enforce.

I don't think you are being old fashioned I believe you are trying to ensure a standard of dress that makes the setting look professional.

Difficult. Round here, most settings ensure staff wear uniform tops, but staff can wear jeans etc. One setting takes the opportunity to wear low slung tops, shorts that disappear up their nether regions......and then sunbathe while the children play. We once had a supervisor who turned up in a cheesecloth dress........very low cut........andd no bra, just a thong to cover her 'bits'. One of the dad's nearly had a heart attack..........and no-one else dared to say anything!

As to coloured nails, I'd say no, but again, it seems to be perfectly acceptable round here

• Like 1

I don't think you are being old fashioned at all! It may just need a gentle reminder during a staff meeting - you have been very clear about your expectations as a setting and staff have agreed by signing their contracts. Sometimes we all get a little complacent and push the boundaries somewhat whether we are 3, 33 or 53!!!

I agree with all that's been said. You are not old fashioned, you are principled. Supposing, and this is what I say to my staff you had to dash off to hospital with one of the children and you were wearing short shots and flip flops - it just wouldn't be right. No matter what, you have to show a professional front.

Years ago I worked for a bank, we had to wear long sleeves, even in summer, tights, no t shirts at all, and no trousers we were allowed skirt suits or dresses. It was moaned about by us younger people back then, but they were the rules and we accepted them. Schools have been working hard to get parents to support proper uniforms in my area, no sweatshirts or trainer shoes, but ties, shirts, shiny shoes and blazers because it gives more discipline - parents have taken it on board and are doing their best to keep the children properly kitted out.

It's not too much to ask.

Difficult. Round here, most settings ensure staff wear uniform tops, but staff can wear jeans etc. One setting takes the opportunity to wear low slung tops, shorts that disappear up their nether regions......and then sunbathe while the children play. We once had a supervisor who turned up in a cheesecloth dress........very low cut........andd no bra, just a thong to cover her 'bits'. One of the dad's nearly had a heart attack..........and no-one else dared to say anything!

As to coloured nails, I'd say no, but again, it seems to be perfectly acceptable round here

Quite a picture you have conjured up in my mind - trying hard to get rid of it now :wacko:

tish - as others have said - no not old fashioned at all - stick to your guns here :1b

Ditto to almost everything above - I provide a polo shirt and fleece for my staff team and like them to wear jeans although in the warmer months crop trousers of some description are fine and must not be see through.

Closed toed shoes or trainers - good old H&S - small chair legs going down on toes that are not protected would be somewhat painful and on the recommendation of one of our food hygiene tutors closed toed footwear in the kitchen for hygiene reasons and to protect tootsies in case a knife should be dropped.

Insofar as leggins are concerned I am completely inflexible and they are a total no no as I have seen far too many pairs that are so see through they may as well not be there.

As this is allegedly a job of work if your employer (or you as an employer) or staff team have put in place a dress code then it should be followed - it's just disrespectful not to - my son and daughter had jobs in M&S and Boots respectively and they had to abide by the company dress code irrespective of how unflattering it was (my son never quite got used to having to wear the hair net required as part of his job!!)

• Like 1

I try not to sweat the small stuff. To me as long as the staff look ok (not offensive or unsafe) then I don't really have a problem. My staff are fab but two are in the younger age group.....I appreciate how hard they work and the extras they do for a job which is not well paid, just think I don't need to make my life more hassly by moaning at them! I can't afford to pay for a full uniform so it is their clothes they are ruining :huh:

• Like 5

I think there's a fine line between comfort, practicality, looking 'nice' and just plain inappropriate.

My staff have polo shirts, zip up sweatshirt type things, and vest tops. The vest tops are cut high around the arm holes and are not low scoop necked. Some staff choose to wear them in very hot weather but many stick to their polo shirts.

Last summer, one member of staff, in her 30's, came to work in a very revealing top which showed a lot of her bra. When I questioned it, she said her uniform was all in the wash. I said I wasn't very keen on her wearing something to work which showed her underwear. She looked blank and said "Underwear?" "Yes" I said, "your bra". "Oh, I don't think of my bra as underwear!" was her reply! :o :unsure: :D

To be quite honest IMHO I think Polo Shirts look horrendous on anyone OVER the age of 25yrs!!

Sorry, dont mean to offend and I know they are the staple of most nurseries and playgroups - we used to wear them ourselves - but not anymore!

Edited by Rafa
  • Like 3

I think there's a fine line between comfort, practicality, looking 'nice' and just plain inappropriate.

My staff have polo shirts, zip up sweatshirt type things, and vest tops. The vest tops are cut high around the arm holes and are not low scoop necked. Some staff choose to wear them in very hot weather but many stick to their polo shirts.

Last summer, one member of staff, in her 30's, came to work in a very revealing top which showed a lot of her bra. When I questioned it, she said her uniform was all in the wash. I said I wasn't very keen on her wearing something to work which showed her underwear. She looked blank and said "Underwear?" "Yes" I said, "your bra". "Oh, I don't think of my bra as underwear!" was her reply! :o :unsure: :D

:wacko: :wacko: :D:D

To be quite honest IMHO I think Polo Shirts look horrendous on anyone OVER the age of 25yrs!!

Sorry, dont mean to offend and I know they are the staple of most nurseries and playgroups - we used to wear them ourselves - but not anymore!

What do you wear? Do you have a uniform?

Hi Narnia ..I draw the line at low tops ,short shorts as we have lots of American families...have deep religious convictions who would be seriously upset to see boobs or anything else ...

To be honest I'd be flexible about leggings.

I know they may not suit everyone but they are easy to wear and allow rolling around on the floor.

To be honest I'd be flexible about leggings.

I know they may not suit everyone but they are easy to wear and allow rolling around on the floor.

I still roll around on the floor in my black trousers....especially when chalking on the floor outside Lol

What was the reason behind choosing black trousers in the first place?

Could this be an opportunity to review the policy?

Would black jeans be a more practical option in terms of staff feeling more comfortable sitting and crawling around on the floor? Are they easier to wash so staff can relax around paint etc?

What do parents expect in terms of uniform? Would they prefer to see staff looking smart and formal or would they like to see staff that feel comfortable mucking in and rolling around on the floor with their children?

Maybe this is a good time to consult everyone, write a new uniform policy and then make it clear that you expect staff to adhere to it.

• Like 2

Hi, no we don't wear a uniform - like I said we used to - polo shirts! However, we all felt that they sucked both the colour and the personality out of us!

So, we are varying ages from 20 somethings to fifty somethings so not a 'one size suits all' team, so we dress to suit ourselves!! The young girls tend to wear 'leggings' - but both have legs suitable for panto! - and smart but 'trendy' tops. Us oldies are usually dressed as you would for a classroom, - smart but practical.

No one wears anything scary or laughable - just Nice (cheap) clothes - Theres plenty out there...........And I can be ME! : )

• Like 5

Way back when in 2004 when we opened I relied on the powers that be from our local Council for advice on uniform....leggings were not 'in' then,and I like my staff to look professional really....but perhaps

time for a change or a staff meeting....

I think it's a really good idea to review it with staff. Some of their not following it may be due to them not realising the thinking behind it. A few months ago I had to say to one of TAs in my room that her skirt was too short. It didn't go well for various reasons but when she'd calmed down a little it turned out that she hadn't realised that I was thinking of it from a child's point of view and thought I just didn't like her clothes. I pointed out that when I was sat at a table I was a similar height to most of the children and I could see her underwear. I also mentioned that it made us vulnerable to allegations because of the way children might say something that was true but so easily misinterpreted by other adults.

• Like 1

we have polo shirts and a tabard with a very handy kangaroo pocket on the front, we also have fleeces for colder weather, we do not wear vest tops. we are allowed to wear leggings or jeans, knee high shorts, I wear trainers most of the time but some do wear flip flops. I think our parents like us wearing uniform, it certainly helps keeping our own clothes from being ruined lol.

I once turned a job down because I couldn't bear to wear a tabard! Shallow I know what I hate them so much!

But no I don't think you are being old fashioned at all, maybe a review on uniform is needed at this point, I can understand why people are wearing leggings because they are comfortable. I guess suggesting black trousers leaves it open to interpretation for many people.

The staff at my sons pre school wear polo shirts and either black trousers, leggings or jeans and I think they look good. I have always erred on the side of caution myself by wearing fitted tshirts, 3/4 trousers in the summer and the non ugly crocs or black trainers,my puce got to be comfortable and practical.

We state uniform tops and black trouser. I have relented and allowed black leggings but I had to issue a jokey but reminder that I do not wish to see what colour knickers they are wearing and could they please ensure their leggings were not see through/patchy at the bum!

• Like 3

I hate them too but I would prefer to wear one if provided than to wreck my own clothes.

It comes down to personal preference I guess. The thing I dislike about leggings is that they leave nothing to the imagination, which is probably not the image you are going for.

I used to work in a nursery that stated smart black trousers, maybe this is something you can add to your policy? The setting provided polo tops and zip through hoodies, we had to provide smart black trousers and black sensible shoes.

Have you tried talking to your staff? It's possible they haven't even thought about it, and the two in jeans may be thinking that as one can wear leggings they can probably wear jeans. A quick friendly chat may solve the problem.

We state uniform tops and black trouser. I have relented and allowed black leggings but I had to issue a jokey but reminder that I do not wish to see what colour knickers they are wearing and could they please ensure their leggings were not see through/patchy at the bum!

Ha Ha - fortunately my 'girls' who wear leggings are chic enough to wear 'bum covering tops' too! Not many rears can carry off leggings - uncovered! Thats not a good look : )

Must admit I'm not the tabard type myself - maybe in the baby unit, but not pre-school. We don't have a uniform ourselves, I have always been able to trust the judgement of the staff I take on and I have to say I would be proud of any one of them on any given day. One mum did say to me a couple of years ago during the first week of September - it's hard to know who is staff and who is a parent, so these days we wear a badge for the first couple of weeks.

• Like 1