Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Knit and natter

Cait

On 13/02/2022 at 09:54, Panders said:

Just google the word  Wordle  There are different versions out there, but I use the one now owned by the New York Times.   nytimes.com 

Thanks Panda..so there isn’t an app? I keep seeing people post grids of squares (no letters) on Fb when they’ve done the days grid, I did the one today on nytimes.com (or think I did 🤔) but then thought it wasn’t the right thing as I couldn’t see how they were sharing from there? 

That looks fabulous! Well done!   I found that when I did mine, it was better to trim one of the layers of batting back a bit so I wasn’t fighting with two layers right at the fold of the binding.  

better than my first attempt! 

I think it looks lovely - you were brave doing triangles for your first attempt. I’ve made 5 cot/lap quilts and have successfully managed to avoid triangles in all of them!

Have any of you read Happenstance by Carol Shields? Beautiful descriptions of quilts in there!

On 13/02/2022 at 10:07, Mouseketeer said:

Thanks Panda..so there isn’t an app? I keep seeing people post grids of squares (no letters) on Fb when they’ve done the days grid, I did the one today on nytimes.com (or think I did 🤔) but then thought it wasn’t the right thing as I couldn’t see how they were sharing from there? 

Think there are versions with an app - originally this was set up by an individual who came up with the idea for his crossword mad wife during lockdown.   Apparently it was always going to be free to do, so no pop up advertising etc. which many people loved about it.   It has grown so much since January and now the New York Time have very recently bought it out.

If you did the one I do - it gives stats about how  many guesses you take etc   it gives you a time until the next Wordle is due (only one every 24 hours) and also says "share"  I assume this is what you tap and it opens up different ways you can share.   As far as I know you wont pass on the solution, just your stats!

On 13/02/2022 at 12:56, Froglet said:

I think it looks lovely - you were brave doing triangles for your first attempt. I’ve made 5 cot/lap quilts and have successfully managed to avoid triangles in all of them!

Have any of you read Happenstance by Carol Shields? Beautiful descriptions of quilts in there!

No I shall look out for it.    I was flummoxed by all the books about how to quilt etc. and in the end went with Quilting for Dummies  (very apt I though)  the square I did was in that, obviously I had no idea that triangles would be so challenging.     Today I have been exploring jelly roll quilts which I quite like.   Bit expensive though without feeling confident, however, sometimes good quality fabric is the best to go with I think.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 10:28, Cait said:

That looks fabulous! Well done!   I found that when I did mine, it was better to trim one of the layers of batting back a bit so I wasn’t fighting with two layers right at the fold of the binding.  

better than my first attempt! 

Yes Cait - when I checked the back of the square - where the binding hadn't caught properly I trimmed up the batting then had another go at patching in the sewing.  

• Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 17:27, Panders said:

If you did the one I do - it gives stats about how  many guesses you take etc   it gives you a time until the next Wordle is due (only one every 24 hours) and also says "share"  I assume this is what you tap and it opens

It did say 16 hrs u til the next one, share just said ‘saved to clipboard’, no idea where that is on an iPad 🙈

It’s the same concept as the tv show Lingo

Thanks 

On 13/02/2022 at 21:11, Panders said:

when I tap share,  all my wassap connections come up and other choices to share such as Fb, etc.      I do it on my phone, not ipad, my ipad is a bit old to be doing it on 🤣

Mine doesn’t do that (iPad) jut the shared to clipboard …I didn’t even know there was a clipboard 😂 

I’m impressed at your perseverance Cait - it looks lovely!

I’m crocheting a shawl for myself at the moment - it’s from someone hand-dyed yarn I treated myself to a while ago. The pattern is a nice balance of easy enough to lose myself in but complex enough to keep my mind going!

• Like 2

On 22/02/2022 at 14:53, sunnyday said:

I am going to try to add a photo of my blanket - nothing like Cait's beautiful fine work but I am sending it to 'Knit for Peace' and hopefully it might bring some cheer to someone in a hospice or a care home

Such a pretty colour combination, and what a lovely idea.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2022 at 14:53, sunnyday said:

I am going to try to add a photo of my blanket - nothing like Cait's beautiful fine work but I am sending it to 'Knit for Peace' and hopefully it might bring some cheer to someone in a hospice or a care home

WIN_20220222_14_07_33_Pro.jpg

Fabulous!  Did you knit your threads as you went along or weave them in? Looks very cosy. X

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 09:59, sunnyday said:

Here are some of my 'little hats' - these are for the Age UK/Innocent smoothie campaign - Age UK receive 0.25p for each hat

I sent 38 just before Christmas and have 14 ready now, will keep making them, they are quick and fun to make

hats.jpg

Ooh are they still a thing?  I made loads of those years ago.  Great for using up odds and ends!  

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 08:12, sunnyday said:

Weaved in - took flippin' ages 🤦‍♀️😂

This is the picture that I used when I learned the crochet knot - between colour change 5 and 6 😳😂

Its really easy and it honestly doesn’t come undone, even though you cut the yarn right on the knot.  It’s basically two knots that slide together when you pull the yarns, then you cut the tails off.  It means I have to crochet to the corner, cut the yarn with a 3cm tail then pull the work out to a long enough thread to tie with the next colour.  Then when I’ve joined the colours, the knot falls properly in the corner and gets hidden when I turn back for the next row.  

I’m flipping the work over at the end of each round, so there’s not an obvious join in the rows like there can be in granny squares.

C37F8409-5043-493E-814C-D6403525CE6B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 10:27, Cait said:

This is the picture that I used when I learned the crochet knot - between colour change 5 and 6 😳😂

Its really easy and it honestly doesn’t come undone, even though you cut the yarn right on the knot.  It’s basically two knots that slide together when you pull the yarns, then you cut the tails off.  It means I have to crochet to the corner, cut the yarn with a 3cm tail then pull the work out to a long enough thread to tie with the next colour.  Then when I’ve joined the colours, the knot falls properly in the corner and gets hidden when I turn back for the next row.  

I’m flipping the work over at the end of each round, so there’s not an obvious join in the rows like there can be in granny squares.

C37F8409-5043-493E-814C-D6403525CE6B.jpeg

That looks interesting. Wish I'd know that when I made my unfinished temperature blanket 😩 The reason it remains unfinished its mainly because I crocheted the ends in as I was working, which has given it a wavy edge and it gives me the rage now when looking at it.

• Sad 1

On 03/03/2022 at 17:46, louby loo said:

That's really quite stunning! I love it!   It's like a rainbow tartan :)

Great!  That’s what I was aiming for.  🥰

• Like 1