Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Knit and natter

Cait

• 2 weeks later...

Cardigan finished and handed over.  I’m pleased with the fit.  She loves it too and couldn’t wait to put it on.  I could have saved myself a load of anxt though, picking up stitches for the button band, as she just undid the top button and pulled it on and off like a sweater! 😂😂😂😂🥰

83DD90B5-D507-4CA9-933B-402EBF06EFE9.jpeg

• Like 2

On 19/05/2022 at 15:43, Cait said:

One from Sunnyday - she’ll be along to tell us all about it hopefully! 

A90CBDF2-68B6-4976-95A2-38893A1A0A3D.jpeg

Thanks Cait - what a convoluted way to get the photo on - text it to you first!!!

I am super chuffed with it and we have enough squares to make three more!

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 15:45, Cait said:

Cardigan finished and handed over.  I’m pleased with the fit.  She loves it too and couldn’t wait to put it on.  I could have saved myself a load of anxt though, picking up stitches for the button band, as she just undid the top button and pulled it on and off like a sweater! 😂😂😂😂🥰

83DD90B5-D507-4CA9-933B-402EBF06EFE9.jpeg

Too lovely!

On 19/05/2022 at 15:50, sunnyday said:

Thanks Cait - what a convoluted way to get the photo on - text it to you first!!!

I am super chuffed with it and we have enough squares to make three more!

Three more!  That’s fantastic! 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 17:43, Cait said:

Three more!  That’s fantastic! 

It's great isn't it

I'm so pleased that I started that little group - it's such fun, we talk about a load of old nonsense and laugh so much...

I have one lady who is an amputee wheelchair user, she suffered a stroke a couple of years ago (as if she hadn't enough to cope with) on week one she said "I don't think I will be able to knit because of the stroke" - set her up with needles and wool, cast on for her and she was away - she loves the group, it's worth it just to see how much pleasure it brings her!

• Like 3

Sunnyday, that’s what it’s all about!  We have a lady in our group who suffers from depression quite badly.  We managed to persuade her to come along, and she did.  She can’t knit, or crochet, but for her, the achievement is getting out of the house and being with people.  She didn’t speak to us for the first couple of weeks, she just listened, but she’s starting to join in now.  It feels massive.   

• Like 3

On 19/05/2022 at 19:50, Cait said:

Sunnyday, that’s what it’s all about!  We have a lady in our group who suffers from depression quite badly.  We managed to persuade her to come along, and she did.  She can’t knit, or crochet, but for her, the achievement is getting out of the house and being with people.  She didn’t speak to us for the first couple of weeks, she just listened, but she’s starting to join in now.  It feels massive.   

I read a book years ago (I think when Kindles first come out!) it was called the Knitting club/circle/group [?]. It told the story of each of the members reasons for joining, I found it quiet a moving book - it stayed with me for a long time.  I know my sister-in- law changed so much (for the better) when she joined a patchwork group - and she  now makes the most fantastic quilts, none of the family  even knew she had such skills! 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2022 at 10:33, louby loo said:

I read a book years ago (I think when Kindles first come out!) it was called the Knitting club/circle/group [?]. It told the story of each of the members reasons for joining, I found it quiet a moving book - it stayed with me for a long time.  I know my sister-in- law changed so much (for the better) when she joined a patchwork group - and she  now makes the most fantastic quilts, none of the family  even knew she had such skills! 

That's so interesting louby, thank you, I will see if I can find that book...

Would it have been 'The Friday night knitting club' louby?

Edited by sunnyday

On 20/05/2022 at 12:00, sunnyday said:

That's so interesting louby, thank you, I will see if I can find that book...

Would it have been 'The Friday night knitting club' louby?

It was actually set in America, and one of the main characters had just lost a very young child if that helps?

On 20/05/2022 at 12:29, louby loo said:

Well I might look your one up now! 😂 (can't do gardening- might as well find a book to read!

I think it might be that one - definitely set in US - have ordered...good news for you is that if it's the right book there is a sequel - happy reading!

On 20/05/2022 at 12:34, sunnyday said:

I think it might be that one - definitely set in US - have ordered...good news for you is that if it's the right book there is a sequel - happy reading!

😂😂😂 .... Just found The Naked Knitting Club!🙀 go well with the naked gardening day from the other week!

All this is fantastic and this and a couple of conversations I’ve had with people about things are inspiring me to try and find a similar group that meets at a time I can do (so many seem to be mid morning/afternoon on a weekday).

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 29/04/2023 at 17:29, sunnyday said:

...as you do

That was exactly the phrase I used about to someone else earlier! Actually, I was intrigued by the pattern - I like trying new things but also we’re going to be learning about Christopher Wren at school and the gargoyles on St Paul’s before going on to make our own clay boggart. I thought a crochet gargoyle might be a good prop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve finally got round to making up a peg bag kit that I bought in the first lockdown when everyone was sewing and baking!   It got put to one side whilst I produced scrub hats and masks of course and has kept resurfacing during every subsequent sort in my sewing room.   If I do another, I’ll simplify it considerably, not least by buying bias binding rather than parping about making it! 

oh, and I won’t spend days hand quilting in a spiral with chain stitch! 

IMG_6087.jpeg

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2

Oh and a hat for Zebedee as most of his hair has gone now.  It’s hand spun wool so has thick bits and scarily thin bits and occasional bits of a different colour caught in, so very random! He asked me to make ‘something bright’ so I think this fits the bill 🤣🤣🤭

IMG_6088.jpeg

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2

Two lovely 'makes' Cait.

I have nothing to share - back to making squares for 'Knit for Peace' blankets and crochet edging all the squares knitted by the group - shhhh don't tell anyone I am quite happy doing this - it's all lovely, mindless and relaxing 

Knit and Natter group made some great items for our nearest food bank through the winter - hats, hot water bottle covers (we also purchased the bottles) lap blankets, scarves...