Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Knit and natter

Cait

Has anyone got anything exciting on their needles at the moment?   I’m just doing a boring scarf at the moment, but it’s good to have something mindless to pick up sometimes.   

I know there’s several folk on here who knit - so what’s your WIP?  

• Like 1

I have unearthed a crotchet hook and have embarked on a blanket for an organisation called 'Knit for Peace' - it is just rows of treble crotchet, base colour is grey and then every other row is a bright colour - I had forgotten just how 'addictive' crotchet is and like you, I needed a 'mindless' effort, I'm not up for following a pattern just now

• Like 1

I've still not finished my 2019 temperate blanket 🙀.. well the temperature bit f it is finished but I just need to do a border but I've fallen out of love with it.

Sewing wise my machine is playing up and I need to bite the bullet and either get a new one- or get the old one fixed, although the repair man said it's not really cost effective 😢 

• Like 1

I’m busy with this very fine cotton crochet throw at the moment, (scarf is light relief) it’s an overgrown granny square and it’s to be a wedding present for my daughter.   To give you some idea, this is a picture of it on my double bed - it needs to be for a king size, and three rows back, I was at 150sets of trebles per side.  A side takes about 45 minutes now.   It’s meant to be a rainbow, but unfortunately I couldn’t get a red, so that one is kind of pink and doesn’t show up as hugely different from the orange on this photo, and the blue is a bit turquoise, but they are the only colours this manufacturer makes.  At this scale it has to be exactly the same thickness.  Each band of colour is twelve rows.   I’m on the blue now, then purple and white again.   I’m thinking I might do the spectrum again, but just with 6 rounds - what do you think? Stick to 12? 

C73C089C-0EF7-4C6E-8FEF-1849C0D2C38C.jpeg

Edited by Cait
Add question
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

I have unearthed a crotchet hook and have embarked on a blanket for an organisation called 'Knit for Peace' - it is just rows of treble crotchet, base colour is grey and then every other row is a bright colour - I had forgotten just how 'addictive' crotchet is and like you, I needed a 'mindless' effort, I'm not up for following a pattern just now

A picture?   Sounds great.  What size is it? 

5 minutes ago, Cait said:

I’m busy with this very fine cotton crochet throw at the moment, (scarf is light relief) it’s an overgrown granny square and it’s to be a wedding present for my daughter.   To give you some idea, this is a picture of it on my double bed - it needs to be for a king size, and three rows back, I was at 150sets of trebles per side.  A side takes about 45 minutes now.   It’s meant to be a rainbow, but unfortunately I couldn’t get a red, so that one is kind of pink and doesn’t show up as hugely different from the orange on this photo, and the blue is a bit turquoise, but they are the only colours this manufacturer makes.  At this scale it has to be exactly the same thickness.  Each band of colour is twelve rows.   I’m on the blue now, then purple and white again.   I’m thinking I might do the spectrum again, but just with 6 rounds - what do you think? Stick to 12? 

C73C089C-0EF7-4C6E-8FEF-1849C0D2C38C.jpeg

That's lovely!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Panders said:

Im contemplating patchwork - doing a little research, trying to persuade myself I'd be up to it.

I dabbled in patchwork a while back, but only made baby cot and pram blankets.  That’s a good place to start - something small to see how you like it.  Or maybe a cushion cover?  I’ve a friend who has a very fancy machine and does quilting and they’re fabulous - seeing hers puts me off trying again unfortunately 😳🤭

1 hour ago, Cait said:

Both of my old Bernina machines could do with a trip to the doctor really.  They’ve both forgotten how to do fancy stitches after a couple of years of just masks and scrubs. 😳

My Bernina is playing up too, the feed dogs have dropped slightly (fixable) but one of the circuit boards has also gone and I can't always alter the stitch length  - it only works properly in temperatures of 22-25!  This one's 25+ years old and has seen a lot of use, I do have the 50 year old one in the loft- but that needs new motor - I always said it was my retirement project.... maybe I should get it down and start working on it!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, louby loo said:

My Bernina is playing up too, the feed dogs have dropped slightly (fixable) but one of the circuit boards has also gone and I can't always alter the stitch length  - it only works properly in temperatures of 22-25!  This one's 25+ years old and has seen a lot of use, I do have the 50 year old one in the loft- but that needs new motor - I always said it was my retirement project.... maybe I should get it down and start working on it!

I have been trying to find a charity which reconditions and sends on to purposeful project somewhere to take my old Singer.   No success yet.    Mostly they say it needs to be working - which it does, but as I mentioned one of he knobs has been removed - really have to get on this.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Last crochet project and  now back to knitting baby cardi’s 🧶

that is a fab blanket, I would have the patience for that.

I started making a patchwork bed cover at high school but after 3 years it just about fit Sunday bed …that wasn’t for me, I’d really like to try felting sometime.

3DB7A1F8-3DE2-44C3-8150-448F3CB7529F.jpeg

• Like 3

He’s very cute!   I did have a go at felting and my fingers were really sore after one session! 

image.jpg

Edited by Cait
We will hopefully get rid of that horrid wallpaper this year if Zebedee is up to it!);
  • Like 3

Food for thought there Cait - I had in my mind's eye making a quilt as a unique wedding present for middle son I do have until Sept 23 to get it done!   Also thought I would like to make a couple of table runners in patchwork style as seasonal presents this year!  The bed is at least king size, I suspect this generation think of a standard double as a children's bed these days.  Youngest son who is about to move out to his new flat has bought a super king.   Honestly,  the only time one of those would be handy is in the summer!🤣

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 13:29, louby loo said:

I do enjoy felting.... but no matter how carefully you are- you always get the fingers!!!😩

It intrigues me that by sticking a pin in a bit of fluff you can make it look like something 🤷‍♀️

we all had leaves yesterday and some people had blue rockets but the leaves have vanished today 🧐 

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 13:18, Panders said:

Stupid question maybe, but where did the green leaves come from on my Panda?   Surely that's new😱🤣

I was going to ask the same question.  Some folk - Admin I think - had red pencils.   

My sister has just pulled out some knitting she found in her cupboard.  She started these rompers for my granddaughter just before she was born.  Ada was born in 2015 🤭🤭🤣

67207FD3-1593-4B26-A876-1E6DE88FF163.jpeg

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 11:15, Cait said:

My sister has just pulled out some knitting she found in her cupboard.  She started these rompers for my granddaughter just before she was born.  Ada was born in 2015 🤭🤭🤣

67207FD3-1593-4B26-A876-1E6DE88FF163.jpeg

I think that's known as a UFO (Unfinished Object) - I like the wool 😂

• Like 1