Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The preschool that has been open for over 40 years and I've been at for 11 has finally closed. The children left on Wednesday and the committee were very conspicuous by their absence at our farewell party. The apathy from the parents was apparent as well, which is one of the reasons we  closed. Along with the fact that we have no children and none wanting to start.

They were asked to provide food for the party and only a few did. And of course the ones who did also gave us cards with lovely words inside. I know we don't do this job for presents but a card from the committee is not too much to ask for is it?

I wasn't sad on the last day as I feel I've done my sadness when I was told we were being made redundant back in January and the last few weeks have been 'let's just get to the last day'. 

One of the hardest things has been the clearing of the cupboard. The school (who are opening their own preschool and are taking all my children) have taken so much I really have no idea where they will put it all. Another new preschool is taking some more and my new Chair has been down to chose bits for them. I have squirrelled away bits I want to keep but the rest of it is to be binned! Some stuff will go to a local women's refuge but they can't take all of it. I'm finding it so hard as every piece has memories and I want to keep it all. My husband would divorce me if I bought anything else home 😀

And, to top it all, it's the first day of the holidays and I've been awake since stupid o'clock.......

• Sad 5

I understand how sad you are.   It is all very strange to begin with when finally it all stops.   I feel I have got used to it now, but find it difficult not to engage with little ones when I am out and about and I really know that I shouldn't!    Other things do take over your mind and time available.  For the moment just rest!

• Like 1

No words, can’t imagine what you are going through and very scared that without a miracle it may be us in the near future.  Look after yourself and I am sure you are on to pastures new and exciting new things. Xx

Oh Stardance I really do know how you feel.

Our fantastic three times outstanding pre-school closed to the children on Friday.  The parents and staff were and are distraught.   Our stories sound so very similar it makes you wonder what is going on.  xxx

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you for your replies. People keep asking if I am sad but I think I did my grieving for my setting and children back in January when we were told. Since half term the children have been going on holiday so some days we have had 3 children and it's just become a case of limping on to the end and wanting it all the be over. It would have been so much better to have closed at half term as the last 6 weeks have been so painful. 

Once we had been told we didn't see our Chair until this Thursday when she popped in to see how the sorting out was going. She didn't even say goodbye or good luck to my member of staff who has worked with me for 6 years so it really did get to the stage where we felt worthless and abandoned. 

I've still got two days to go to get the last half terms paperwork in order before the Chair takes it all away. I have sorted and cleared paperwork till I could do it in my sleep with no help from any of the committee.  I think I just feel completely exhausted and done with it all. But.......on the other hand I am excited to be starting my new job after Easter. Oh, my bank account looks quite healthy this month xD

• Like 5

I feel so sad reading this and sadly I think a lot of settings are in the same situation.  When are the government going to sit up and realise just how much of an impact the underfunding is having?  Are they going to wait until all the pre-schools have closed.  So sad and so frustrating.  What is your new job, is it still in EY or something completely new?  I hope it all goes well for you. Xx

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I feel so sad reading this and sadly I think a lot of settings are in the same situation.    Are they going to wait until all the pre-schools have closed.  

Well lets be honest- I think that is the governments aim/goal.  

Looking at it logically other than to  the children and their families with which we do an absolutely  wonderful and extremely valuable  job :)........    we don't actually give anything back to the government - most of us in small preschool don't pay much (if any) tax, national insurance, not contributing much to pension pots etc. Likewise our hours don't really encourage our parents to work full time - just use their free hours - therefore they [parents] are not contributing back to the government either.

Close all us small settings and force parents to use expensive daycare therefore generates more money back to government long term.  In schools pay rates are usually higher therefore more tax/ins from school staff too.   :(

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I can see your point Louby Lou but the same underfunding applies to daycare too!  Yes, we do employ staff to work more hours so are paying tax and NI and we do enable parents to work, but we are flat broke!  We cannot afford to buy anything new, I have to check the bank account constantly to ensure I can pay the wages, I have tried to cut costs but the government add to our costs with pensions and the rise in the Living Wage.  I hope we survive but sometimes I fear we won't :(

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

I can see your point Louby Lou but the same underfunding applies to daycare too!  Yes, we do employ staff to work more hours so are paying tax and NI and we do enable parents to work, but we are flat broke!  We cannot afford to buy anything new, I have to check the bank account constantly to ensure I can pay the wages, I have tried to cut costs but the government add to our costs with pensions and the rise in the Living Wage.  I hope we survive but sometimes I fear we won't :(

Very true :(

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 18:59, smudge65 said:

Oh Stardance I really do know how you feel.

Our fantastic three times outstanding pre-school closed to the children on Friday.  The parents and staff were and are distraught.   Our stories sound so very similar it makes you wonder what is going on.  xxx

Oh smudge you too, I'm so sorry to read this :(

This is a really sad subject. I feel for those of you to whom this is happening. Your settings are a loss to the community but don't forget that you have had a positive influence on every one of the children you have cared for during the years that you have been open; you have given peace of mind to many families and you have sent lots of children to school so well prepared that it has made the schools job so much easier. 

• Like 7

So very sorry for those lovely people who's settings have shut down - all so very sad. It is a job we do because we love the job, we are never going to be rich from doing it but for all us it is that "If I have made a difference to just one child then it's worth it" but to be honest we have all made a big difference to so many children we should be so very proud of ourselves every single day.

• Like 4

On 11/04/2019 at 10:54, finleysmaid said:

I really don't know what to say to this thread :( ….maybe there for the grace of god go the rest of us????

GFCCCC has a bit of a more positive slant^_^

Indeed could be any of us. I think that what’s saddest is the lack of acknowledgment from your committee  Starsdance. Good luck to the school waiting to jump in your grave is all I can say. Hope you find fulfilment in your new job. You too Smudge65. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh that's awful that your committee couldn't even acknowledge the party/last day. I understand how disappointed you must be.

I have been chair on our committee for four years and if I ever had to go down that route the staff would get more than a card from me. 

Being a parent I have huge respect for our staff. It hadn't been easy for me either but I can't believe they wouldn't come to the party.

That said we have staff members who never come to committee/staff events which is also disappointing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)