Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer holiday 2018

sunnyday

2 hours ago, zigzag said:

Well I got into the veg garden at 7:30 this morning and did a couple of hours before it got too hot.  Then planted a beautiful plant that one of my little ones gave me yesterday, will smile and think of her every time I look at it.  Then inside as it was so hot to make some yummy salad accompaniments to go with tea, made roasted honey butternut squash and feta, cranberry couscous and potato salad 😋 Now off to do battle on the tourist filled roads to the dentist🙁 God knows why I booked the dentist on the first day of the holiday!

Oh sounds lovely - tea not the dentist!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, zigzag said:

Well I got into the veg garden at 7:30 this morning and did a couple of hours before it got too hot.  Then planted a beautiful plant that one of my little ones gave me yesterday, will smile and think of her every time I look at it.  Then inside as it was so hot to make some yummy salad accompaniments to go with tea, made roasted honey butternut squash and feta, cranberry couscous and potato salad 😋 Now off to do battle on the tourist filled roads to the dentist🙁 God knows why I booked the dentist on the first day of the holiday!

How do you make your butternut squash and feta - it sounds lovely

57 minutes ago, blondie said:

How do you make your butternut squash and feta - it sounds lovely

Cut the squash into cubes and roast in a little oil and salt and pepper (I also chucked in some cubes of sweet potato) when almost cooked squeeze some runny honey over it and cook for another 10 minutes, be careful that the honey does not burn. (I cooked it quite low at 160.C). Leave to cool, when cool mix with small chunks of feta cheese and a little more olive oil if desired.  It really is lovely and a nice change to add to a salad.😋

• Like 1

We have the most amazing cafe near us called Fat apples and they serve the most delicious unusual salad accompaniments, and they really make a salad so much more appetising.  So every time I go there I try to take an idea away with me.

I need interesting salad ideas; I end up with disintegrating cucumber in the bottom of my fridge far too often!  I've started the day with a little lie in and a book.  Shortly going to meet a couple of friends for tea (and maybe cake although given the amount of chocolate I got as end of year presents maybe not...) and then I'm in to school this afternoon where my main job is going to be putting away my stationery order and cleaning out all the fridges I can find!  I am planning to cook something proper for tea tonight and go to bed at a sensible time - oh the riotous excitement of the first day of the school holiday!! :D;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Froglet said:

I need interesting salad ideas; I end up with disintegrating cucumber in the bottom of my fridge far too often!  I've started the day with a little lie in and a book.  Shortly going to meet a couple of friends for tea (and maybe cake although given the amount of chocolate I got as end of year presents maybe not...) and then I'm in to school this afternoon where my main job is going to be putting away my stationery order and cleaning out all the fridges I can find!  I am planning to cook something proper for tea tonight and go to bed at a sensible time - oh the riotous excitement of the first day of the school holiday!! :D;)

Oh - did you say stationery order - how exciting! :D

Phew - temperature already through the roof here - went out for 'coffee in the garden' and soon scuttled back inside...….

Had another good early start and have begun a wardrobe sort out/clear out - much needed - why do I keep so much stuff?! 

Hope everyone has a good day whatever you choose to do (or not do as the case may be)

• Like 1

Well I started the day with the 'page 13' TDL list,  kindly supplied by sunnyday after I asked her (yet again-I noticed from the pg 13 list xDxD) for a copy of her list.

Last year I tried the KM method of sorting wardrobe - and took everything out, and made a massive mountain in our conservatory  Orangery where it remained until the next half term..... I then put most of it back in wardrobe- although I did donate one very small bag to charity. 

• Haha 6

Well after 18 months of being a mound of soil covered in weeds my darling dogs resting space is finally halfway decent.  Just need to get a couple more pots on it.  Am off to make Pasties as we are going out on the boat tonight for a couple of hours.  Yesterday there were loads of blue sharks, a super pod of 200 dolphins and a Minky whale just off shore.  Keeping everything crossed that we get lucky and see something!  If not it will just be pasties, a bottle of Cornish Rattler and watch the sun go down.😎

38C4F8CA-0FE0-4B58-837F-201FD69CA687.thumb.jpeg.8dd4f7dd713870a4d16200b41ae51558.jpeg

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 5

Beautiful zigzag and your evening plans sound just lovely :)

My laptop keyboard is misbehaving - if I press @ I get " and vice versa - what on earth does that mean - well I guess it means I need a new laptop......

Further to that huge frustration I decided to update 'Kent Childcare Info' as is required - I have been 'locked out' of my Synergy account - how rude - have emailed for help - but to be honest can't be bothered with that now :(

Off to harvest potatoes, carrots and runner beans for our evening meal - much more sensible way to spend my precious time! :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

My laptop keyboard is misbehaving - if I press @ I get " and vice versa - what on earth does that mean - well I guess it means I need a new laptop......

Ohw ohw.......... I know about that one!! Something to do with UK or US keyboard!    Has the lappy installed any updates recently ?  That said not sure about how to stop it/change it back. 

I've just got a new laptop, and went for a Mac this time. - this one had  the keypad laid out that way I've had it since about Feb and I'm still getting used to the "/@ layout, and mine's  even labelled correctly xD

Edited by louby loo

45 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Ohw ohw.......... I know about that one!! Something to do with UK or US keyboard!    Has the lappy installed any updates recently ?  That said not sure about how to stop it/change it back. 

I've just got a new laptop, and went for a Mac this time. - this one had  the keypad laid out that way I've had it since about Feb and I'm still getting used to the "/@ layout, and mine's  even labelled correctly xD

Ah thanks louby :)

Will get my DIL to have a look at it tomorrow hopefully she will know what to do!

18 hours ago, zigzag said:

Cut the squash into cubes and roast in a little oil and salt and pepper (I also chucked in some cubes of sweet potato) when almost cooked squeeze some runny honey over it and cook for another 10 minutes, be careful that the honey does not burn. (I cooked it quite low at 160.C). Leave to cool, when cool mix with small chunks of feta cheese and a little more olive oil if desired.  It really is lovely and a nice change to add to a salad.😋

Thank you - will be trying this very soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panders said:

Gremlins appear to be at work - or not, very odd trying to type a message here.    Any way...………..   we have thunder, just waiting for the rain, glorious rain!

OOoh send those storms my please my little black and white furry friend xD It has been 31 degrees here today and so bloomin' humid

10 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Well it’s cold here today, back to trousers and long sleeved top☹️A few showers but not enough to do any good.  I want the sun back, I promise not to moan about the heat again😎

Cold......hmmm...…..let me think...…...oh yes I vaguely remember what that feels like! xD

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Well it’s cold here today, back to trousers and long sleeved top☹️A few showers but not enough to do any good.  I want the sun back, I promise not to moan about the heat again😎

Somerset is still hot but cloudy, we were on the beach at 7am to make the most of the cool weather before the tourists arrive, the place has been so busy recently , so we make the most of early and late.

Love that holiday feeling of eating out in the evening on the seafront , in one of the many bars/ hotels.. lovely.. no need to go away:) Long may it continue.. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Tried to edit to change 'ding' to doing - but I couldn't - anyhoo ypu knew what I meant xD

I seem to have similar keyboard malfunctions myself of late xD

Re- the Rain Dance,  I'm not going to lie, my husband did run around the garden shout 'rain, rain, yes rain' .......... but it was a false start as it was about 5 drops!

• Haha 2