Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer holiday 2018

sunnyday

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

I know what you mean. We totally emptied our cupboard at Easter, it was a mammoth task which I did with my daughter rather than staff as she is more detached from a lot of the c**p we had. We got rid of loads, but we still have far to much, to be honest I think we both got tired towards the end and just started to put things back to get the job done. What's not  really helped is we have just been given another big donation of children's toys- which is kind but.... :(:):)

My issue is things like this - We have been given some nice big toy trucks. They are lovely and shiny and new looking,   and we have some really old big trucks that look like they should have been chucked many years ago- they are faded and scratched - but the children really seem to like the old ones!  Added to that new plastic really doesn't seem to last and do not seem to hold up the everyday day wear of a packaway. Therefore I have kept both!  

In an ideal world I'd like to start from scratch and by all new high quality resources all wood and chuck everything else.

Yes we were very lucky to have many donations of toys from parents.  We rented premises from a large Christian organisation and I would accept all donations but say if we could not use the items could I donate them to the weekly jumble sale that took place, always a yes came back.   Basically, apart from very loved toys - which  was easy to see - I would gradually filter through this means and replace toys.   When  I closed up, there were a couple of things I could not part with, as they had belonged to my boys -  much like Rebecca has said, and I brought those home!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, sunnyday said:

I could get used to these little afternoon naps :ph34r: xD

Given the ease with which I take them at the start of a holiday and how much I need them (I really can’t keep my eyes open) it makes me wonder just how I manage to get through a days teaching!

Have just spent 4 hours in school sorting cupboards and have thrown out so much ancient paperwork. I have a mountain of recovered poly pockets! This afternoon I’m going to do my best to resist the nap as last night’s sleep wasn’t great. There will be more cleaning (at home) and I am contemplating making an apple pie... I don’t think I’ve ever made one before.

• Like 3

Oh yes!  I'm definitely in the get it over and done with group.  I generally find a bit of therapeutic sorting out helps me to wind down and then I switch off properly instead of spending the whole summer thinking 'I must remember to...'  We usually get a bit of time on the first INSET to do some sorting and prep too although not this year apparently it's a full on day of training so I'll probably go in on the Monday to do jobs...  I confess to being unable to resist that nap!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I totally 'get' what you are saying about the quality of toys. I bought this garage in a junk shop in 2000 for my son. So it was 2nd hand when we bought it - he played with it, my next son played with it and it has now had 10 years in our toddler room. Apart from a few crayon 'decorations' it is in brilliant condition - all the ramps and the lifts still work perfectly. The picture isn't 'our' garage it's a Googled one! 

fisher price garage.png

You have got to love Fisher Price garages.  My Mum bought a second hand one for when my sons used to stay and it lasted for years. 🙂

• Like 2

Back from another day of cleaning, sorting and moving!  Just one more morning in work should do it!  Then it’s a few little jobs such as update the website (which is really in need of an update) sort out my planning folder and get to grips with analysing my data🤬.  Then, apart from checking in on here the holidays can begin!🤪

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Am I allowed to attempt a Cornish pasty at some point this holiday? That’s been on my TDL for ages!

If you want some pointers on a traditional Cornish  pasty just shout.  It’s taken me about 10 years but I have now totally perfected it.  Cornish mother in law approved as well, bless her?😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zigzag said:

If you want some pointers on a traditional Cornish  pasty just shout.  It’s taken me about 10 years but I have now totally perfected it.  Cornish mother in law approved as well, bless her?😉

I will do!  I do realise, of course, that it will in reality be a 'Not really Cornish pasty'!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great to catch up with this thread and to see that you have all been very busy whilst I was swanning around in London!:)

Love the pie young froglet - looks yummy - I haven't made an apple pie for years - hmmm will add to the 'home TDL':D

We had an absolutely brilliant day - we had been up to the hospital on 19th July - Mr S undertook full lung function tests, walking tests, bloods and a CT scan - so yesterday was results time with the surgeon/consultant who fitted his endobronchial valve - the consultant is delighted with him and told us that the test results were 'above and beyond' what would be classed as a clinical success, he advised that Mr S continues to rebuild his fitness and that as he does so the results from the valve will continue to improve (this was news to us, we had assumed that where he is now is where he would stay).

It was fascinating to view his CT scans on a split screen, this showed a before and after, all amazing stuff!  The consultant expects that this will keep him well for 5 years and then they will look at a similar procedure on his left lung, honestly, we 'bounced' out of the consulting room!:)

In the dark days of his being so very poorly over the winter and the procedure being cancelled so many times because he was too ill for it to be safely carried out I had begun (secretly) to think 'this will never happen' and he will just get progressively worse...….we will be forever grateful to the Royal Brompton Hospital and their skilled, dedicated and compassionate team.

So after the appointment we made our way to Convent Garden, where we watched the street entertainers, mooched around the shops and stalls and then enjoyed a very tasty meal in one of the open air restaurants:)

When we got back to sunny Kent we were very keen to share the news with our 'boys' so enjoyed lovely visits to both of them:)

• Like 13

Thank you all so much for your kind words :)

Well it is officially 'too hot to move' here today :D I did get some gardening done earlier but when the sweat was dripping in my eyes causing temporary blindness I thought I would stop that! :ph34r:

Waiting for middle granddaughter (12) to arrive now - her mum, dad and big sister are going to a funeral :( she is a bit too young maybe so has opted to come here instead :)

Right, if you never hear from me again it will be because I melted into a puddle!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Boiling here now as well.   I had the man in to clean the rugs at school, so at least they were able to dry a bit outside before I left!  

Talking of funerals went to a very sad one yesterday.  Someone I went to school with and who also used to run a pre-school.  Tragically lost her battle with cancer after fighting so hard for two years.  She has two teenage children and a devoted husband and it’s so flaming cruel and indiscriminate. 😮😥

2 hours ago, zigzag said:

Boiling here now as well.   I had the man in to clean the rugs at school, so at least they were able to dry a bit outside before I left!  

Talking of funerals went to a very sad one yesterday.  Someone I went to school with and who also used to run a pre-school.  Tragically lost her battle with cancer after fighting so hard for two years.  She has two teenage children and a devoted husband and it’s so flaming cruel and indiscriminate. 😮😥

Oh that is so sad zigzag.....

I was at a funeral today, an Uncle by marriage.  95 years of age.   It was very well done, and only a handful of us there, so hot.  However, it did mean 4 hours in air conditioned car travelling there and back.

Sorry for your loss zigzag, very cruel taking such a young life.

I am so loving this weather .Now we have had it for so long and have it sussed will be hoping long may it continue.. Suppose it helps living near the coast and countryside. Up early for walk on the beach, followed by shopping, not that we need anything everyday, but it is a lovely respite from the heat and can spend hours wandering and buying one item! Just need to choose the right shop depending on how cold we want it.. today Lidl was perfect.. Asda is always the coldest. We then hibernate from the sun before spending the evening watering and pottering in the garden.. or back out to the beach.. 

Produce is not as good as usual, not been watering enough really but getting a steady supply of french beans, runners, courgettes, and tomatoes-  cucumber is late but will be inundated soon. 
Looking on this as a practice run for our winter break in Oz.. 2 months staying with our son - but he does have air con so gets respite at home.. 

7.30am is a lovely time for a stroll and paddle.. 

P7270170.JPG

Edited by Inge
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Giving myself a little pat on the back - lots achieved today - could be because I was hiding from the heat! :ph34r:xD

I've achieved zilch :/. Well I tell a lie- I made myself a passport cover. (sounds expressive- trust me it's not!)

I made myself a nice little workstation outside, in the shade with a very slight breeze.......then the farmer decided to harvest the field next to us >:( had to abandon due to dust/hay storm. 

• Haha 2

A little cooler later this week I'm hoping.  So strange I said to my mum only this weekend that I might usually have been hoping for an Indian summer, but not this year - Daily Mail has an article today saying we could well have warm weather until October!   As long as it cools over night I'm happy enough.

well done on the TDL Sunnyday I managed to get some papers ready for recycling today and some food shopping😅

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Giving myself a little pat on the back - lots achieved today - could be because I was hiding from the heat! :ph34r:xD

I've achieved zilch :/. Well I tell a lie- I made myself a passport cover. (sounds expressive- trust me it's not!)

I made myself a nice little workstation outside, in the shade with a very slight breeze.......then the farmer decided to harvest the field next to us >:( had to abandon due to dust/hay storm.