Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Glitter Ban

We will  use up current supply and rethink our future choices.  Call me cynical- but it seems strange that this has only just come to light a few weeks before Christmas..... and a  certain nursery chain seems to getting some very high profile free advertising.

Yes, it could be (and probably is) an important issue, but it's stitching-up your fellow professionals highlighting it in this manner.   

• Like 2

In this world of our everything we do has an impact on the environment.   Perhaps we should suggest that all parents walk their children to nursery, no one uses disposable nappies and no one drinks from cups from famous brand coffee shops etc...we could go on and on.   I think most nurseries/pre-schools etc probably only use glitter once or twice a year (seasonal activities) .  Much better to talk to the children about the world than make tokenistic "newsworthy" soundbites

• Like 2

When you think about it, how much of the glitter that we actually use in the setting will find it’s way into the water system?  I personally think that not much will.  What doesn’t stick to the glue, gets swept up and goes in the bin.  I suppose there is the argument that what is left on the children’s hands will be washed into the water system, but this will be hardly anything.  I agree that their is a huge problem with the plastic getting back into the water system/food system but think that the glitter ban that this Nursery is doing is just a little bit crazy!!

unfortunately I suspect it is not the product we use that is the problem but the waste at the manufacturers that may be more of an issue.  I have been thinking for some time about creating an ethics policy and trying to change some of the ways we do things. We already use lots of recycled materials and favour wooden equipment (preferably with natural paints) there are however plenty of other things that we could do to support the environment more.. As a company who looks after children perhaps we should be more attune to what we are doing to the world they are going to grow up in:|

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just checked my cards I have taken down only 4 with any glitter on - we usually use them to make winter themed collages when we return in January (see I didn't even use the "C" word and to be fair I'm still within my rights to - not twelfth night yet??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Froglet said:

You did it first and you did it three times!!! :P

Plus I'm only "Young Froglet"  others need to set me a good example!

Uh ohO.o.........but, but given my great age it could be that I just got a little confused - yep that's the excuse I will use.........

Well while we're (not) on the subject...just before Christmas (the nice C word) a TWO YEAR OLD at my nursery used the other C word, to her key person, in context!   Just when I thought I couldn't be shocked by anything children do any more!

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Stargrower said:

Well while we're (not) on the subject...just before Christmas (the nice C word) a TWO YEAR OLD at my nursery used the other C word, to her key person, in context!   Just when I thought I couldn't be shocked by anything children do any more!

:o:( That is so very sad

My friend Sue will be after you .... she and I share an office and I have to manage the post-C come down singlehandedly - If I have to use all my sellotape restraining her, I shall send you the invoice for a replacement roll >:(

• Haha 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)