Jump to content
Join Us
What's New
About Us


Full Member
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6 Neutral

About ladybirds1991

  • Rank

Previous Fields

  • Your interest in Foundation Stage education
    Nursery practitioner
  1. Glitter Ban

    Sorry but i think it is yet another band wagon load of poppycock! We use glitter in our pre school and is mainly at Christmas time and we will continue to do so!
  2. Parent visit week

    Hi Every half term we do a 'Stay and Play' for parents/carers/grandparents etc....for them to come in on a certain day and spend time in our setting with their child to see what they get up to while they are there, we tend to change the day in question from half term to half term to enable all parents to have the chance to attend. For that reason we also have them timed to hourly slots set out through the day which parents have to put their names down if they wish to come in. We have been doing this now for a few years and it seems to work really well.
  3. Lunch Breaks

    We have always operated for years with staff having to sign in when they arrive in the morning, sign out for lunch then sign back in when they return from lunch and then have to sign out again when they leave at the end of the day, this way we monitor lateness and deduct any hours lost from that months wages however on the flip side if they arrive early and leave later than their contracted hours they will get overtime paid to them.
  4. Powder paint

    We have always used powder paints as we can buy the big tubs and it lasts for quite a while lol, however we were recently told that we are not allowed to let the 2yr olds help to mix the powder paint and we have had to restrict the mixing of it to 3+ age children. Which is a real shame as our younger children loved to do it.
  5. Have looked at the above as we are sort of in the same position, a parent committee pre-school which no parents seem to have the time or inclination really to join the committee, but is not the CIO sort of the same thing though as it seems to say you need trustees to run? is that not just the same as parent committee members but under a different name? Or am I just reading it wrong? lol
  6. which bank account

    We use Natwest and have done for years and have not experienced any problems with them, we currently have 2 signatories that can sign cheques and it has always been quite an easy process to add or take someone on/off.
  7. We run from a church hall and we have stipulated that unless urgent repairs are required i.e like a broken toilet cistern needs replacing or something like that which would affect us if it was out of use! we do not allow anyone else into the building while we are running.
  8. Funding question

    'You, and any partner, must each expect to earn (on average) at least £120 a week (equal to 16 hours at the National Minimum or Living Wage). If you, or your partner, are on maternity, paternity or adoption leave, or you're unable to work because you are disabled or have caring responsibilities, you could still be eligible.' This is what I have just lifted off the Childcare choices.gov.uk website regarding the extended 30 hours. This regarding eypp 3- and 4-year-olds in state-funded early education will attract EYPP funding if they meet at least 1 of the following criteria: their family gets 1 of the following: Income Support income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance income-related Employment and Support Allowance support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit Child Tax Credit (provided they’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190) Working Tax Credit run-on, which is paid for 4 weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit Universal Credit Which seems to say, though I could be wrong! lol that you can only get it if you are on child tax credit OR the working tax credit RUN ON only, but not get it if you are on working tax credits. Or at least that is my interpretation of it lol.
  9. Claims for funding

    Our funding claim form is just 2 pages which we print 2 sided so goes on just one sheet of paper and is double sided. As to birth certificates we have printed on the back of our child registration form a bit to fill in that has Childs name, DOB, birth certificate number and date of issue which the key person of that child has to fill in on our registration day after they have seen the bc, the staff member also has to sign their name and put in the date they have seen it as well.
  10. Funding question

    EYPP is only claimable on the first 15 hours (universal) as you have to be on certain benefits to be eligible for it, the extended hours (the additional 15 on top) is only for parents who are working so therefore would not be eligible for EYPP and regarding the funding, from what i took from our latest training session, it is the parents choice which provider gets the Universal funding and which the extended if you are offering this, obviously if you are then they can decide which setting gets both the Universal and Extended and any leftover hours can go elsewhere, for example another setting or childminder. It is all down to parent choice now and what they write on the parent declaration form.
  11. Claiming payment for '30 hours'

    Had a look at Bedford Borough website and cannot find the section you mentioned Alison so not sure if I am looking in the wrong place but searched under childminding and nursery education funding and did not get anywhere.
  12. Claiming payment for '30 hours'

    Hi Alison As a manager of the pre-school I know all about offering the 30 hours to our parents and indeed this is up and running for us, however as a childminder I wanted to know how as a childminder I can claim payment for the 30 hours, a parent at my pre-school wants me to have her child for 1.5 hours every Monday after school which is not a problem for me, but wants to know if she can use the 30 funding to pay towards it, she has a DERN number for her pre-school funding which I have already put through for the pre-school however, as I have never claimed for NEF funding for any of my children I am not sure of the procedure to follow as a childminder to claim this, do I just send the information through to the FIS service again under my name instead of the pre-school? but then how do they know how or where they should be paying me? do I have to fill in an additional form to claim this with all my details on? I have absolutely no idea which is why I asked the original question. I will have at look at the Childminding in Bedford borough section of NEF funding and see what that says.
  13. Hi I am a registered childminder but I also am a manager of a pre-school, hence why I only tend to do afterschool childminding now lol. We are also a pack away setting but thankfully only have to pack away twice a week which is hard enough. You need to make sure any equipment you have has either wheels on it or can have wheels fitted because after a while having to lift equipment tends to be a real pain in the back side! You will find, as we have done, that stuff will get damaged after a while from being lifted in and out of a cupboard and having other stuff stored on and around it so you need to be prepared for that and ensure that you have a robust daily checklist in place to ensure all equipment is checked for damage which may possibly cause injury to a child or just render that piece of equipment unusable.
  14. Hi All Just need a bit of advice, am a registered childminder in Bedford and also work at a pre-school, One of my parents at the pre-school is eligible for the 30 hours funding and has got her DERN number, she is only claiming for the 18 hours she wants her to do at the pre school and has asked me if I will look after her as her childminder for 1 day a week after school for around 1.5 hours and can she use this DERN for me as well. What I need to know is how do I claim as a childminder for this 1.5 hours per week? As have not got a clue how I would claim personally for it and cannot find any information anywhere that tells me how to. Thanks Loz
  15. up-dating Learning Journeys

    Hi As we do not run on a Thursday, due to the church using the hall we run out of, which is a bit of a pain as we could really use that extra day as a session day!, we pay our staff for 3 hours on a Thursday to update their key children's folders which they are allowed to take home and do. They have to sign a confidentiality agreement which basically states they understand the contents are confidential and should not be shown to anyone else and stored securely away while in their care at home and the folders are their responsibility while off the premises. Plus in our opinion it is not up to your Development Worker to tell you whether or not you can take folders home, they can advise but not tell you you cannot do it, it is up to you if you take them home and can demonstrate that staff are aware of confidentiality and safe storage while in their care and to ensure that while running during the day the children's folders/learning journals are back on site.