Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Happy birthdays (been and to come!).

Term has started pretty well.

Friends came round for dinner last night (I have a ridiculous amount of leftovers to eat!) and tonight I’m going to the theatre to see The Life of Pi!

Hoping to do a bluebell walk somewhere tomorrow.

• Like 2

Just wanted to say ‘Life of Pi’ was amazing! I can get a little anxious about doing things like that but am so glad I booked a ticket and kept it in my diary to go - completely absorbing.

Edited by Froglet
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 21/04/2024 at 17:01, zigzag said:

Mum and I went to the theatre on Thursday and saw 2:22 a ghost story, has anyone seen it? It was very different!

I haven't heard of it - will go a-googling!

I'm having one of my semi-regular 'Shall I get a dog?' ponders. I'd really like one for lots of reasons but am not sure I'm responsible enough or unselfish enough. I know many of you either have your own or are regular grandparents to dogs. What do you wish you'd known before you got one or hadn't thought of.

I'm partly thinking of it now because if I were to get one I think I'd aim for before the summer holidays so that I can spend lots of time getting to know them.

On 25/04/2024 at 19:10, Froglet said:

I'm having one of my semi-regular 'Shall I get a dog?' ponders. I'd really like one for lots of reasons but am not sure I'm responsible enough or unselfish enough. I know many of you either have your own or are regular grandparents to dogs. What do you wish you'd known before you got one or hadn't thought of.

I'm partly thinking of it now because if I were to get one I think I'd aim for before the summer holidays so that I can spend lots of time getting to know them.

I can't really think of a negative 😳 I would say choose your breed wisely - and have something that suits your lifestyle.... big/small, energetic/lazy, easy care coat vs one that needs professional grooming etc. That said, I'm thinking you probably already thought of those things. 😊 x

• Like 1

On 25/04/2024 at 19:44, louby loo said:

I can't really think of a negative 😳 I would say choose your breed wisely - and have something that suits your lifestyle.... big/small, energetic/lazy, easy care coat vs one that needs professional grooming etc. That said, I'm thinking you probably already thought of those things. 😊 x

I'd got some of them but always good to have others thoughts! I like dogs but there are two that I have loved - one is my sister's cocker spaniel and the other was a friend's miniature schnauzer - what my niece referred to as a 'Grandad dog' when she saw a photo. She (just 12) has emphatically said "you NEED a dog!"

• Love 1

Good morning - 'tis Friday!

How is everyone - I remember the summer terms with such fondness - although acknowledge that they were so very busy from an admin viewpoint...

Did someone mention granddogs 🐶 we have two here with us just now - our two 'big boys' - one choc lab and one golden retriever - they are looking at me now and I know what they are thinking something along the lines of 'c'mon you are dressed now so when are you going to take us out' - so that's what I am off to do now!

Young froglet I will be back later with some pros and cons of dog ownership...most obvious question is 'what will happen when you are at school, have you investigated doggy daycare'?

Anyway, as I said, I can't keep 'the boys' waiting any longer! 😂

Happy weekend all x

• Like 1

Make sure you have pet insurance ! pay for a decent policy and stick with it.....when they get older you will be very grateful !! 

I am a big fan of spaniels but cockers can be one person dogs and a bit talkative !!  If you can take them to work great ...otherwise the cost of day care can be expensive! 

I would definitely have done kennels(or an alternative) early...at 15 mine comes everywhere with me!! 

the first few weeks is like having a baby ...but after that it is a whole new world full of lovely things...make the most of it they are puppies for such a tiny amount of time

• Like 3

I am back with my pros and cons of dog ownership!

Pros - oh my actual goodness dogs are wonderful, there is nothing like the love and devotion that they give to you, they make you smile when you least feel like it. They also make you get out of the house whether you want to or not, does that sound like a good thing - I think it is!

Cons - they are quite expensive to run 😂 especially if you have to factor in any sort of day care. They poo - one of the worst jobs in my thinking is picking it up but of course you have to! You have to consider them when making any plans. Hair - the beautiful Goldie that we have with us now sheds so much! Training - you need to get on top of that and it can be challenging! Worst of all - they die - I am still not fully recovered from the loss of my last dog, I really mean that, she died some twenty years ago - she was really young, just nine, poor darling had cancer and vet had to 'let her go' on the operating table so we didn't even get to be with her as she passed...

What size are you thinking about - something quite small?

Are you thinking puppy - how are you going to identify a good breeder?

Are you thinking rescue - good luck - Cait has a super little rescue and there must be many more lovely little dogs out there looking for a good home - but not something I would consider - I need to train and make them as 'bombproof' as possible especially around children.

Does that help at all?

• Like 1

Firstly I’m a dog lover, I talk to my dog like she is human and my life quite literally revolves around her and now my grand dog! They are my everything.  We have had two rescued cocker spaniels and personally I wouldn’t have any other breed, I love them.  I’m also a great advocate for having rescue dogs.  I’m in the incredibly fortunate position that I only work short/part time hours.  I am a firm believer that you shouldn’t have a dog if you are away from home all day but that is just my personal preference.  I know there are some excellent doggy day care places around though.  As has already been said they are expensive! And definitely get a really good insurance policy. If you can make it work around your working hours you will never regret having a dog.

• Like 2

Oh dear, missed Friday again!  That might be due to the Firday Sleepover with the GD........ oh my, can that girl talk!!!!

Sunnday- hope you enjoyed your walk 😊

Have a good weekend everyone x

• Like 3

A few updates since I actually started to post 😂

Good points about insurance.  I have had both rescue and puppies, but I would say if you go down the rescue route- make sure it is form a reputable homing centre that take time to match up dogs+owners well.

That said, we had our rescue from 'word of mouth' and he came from an alcholic lady who just couldn't look after him. He was thee most loving dog ever- it was like he knew he had a second chance and he wasn't going to blow it with bad behaviour! 

• Like 2

On 27/04/2024 at 08:18, louby loo said:

A few updates since I actually started to post 😂

Good points about insurance.  I have had both rescue and puppies, but I would say if you go down the rescue route- make sure it is form a reputable homing centre that take time to match up dogs+owners well.

That said, we had our rescue from 'word of mouth' and he came from an alcholic lady who just couldn't look after him. He was thee most loving dog ever- it was like he knew he had a second chance and he wasn't going to blow it with bad behaviour! 

Yes totally agree with that. Even though we had our first dog from the small rescue centre when we had our second dog from them they were still as thorough with the visits and checks.  Also be prepared for what you may be taking on, a lot of rescue dogs come with issues and needs. That being said it’s incredibly rewarding if you have the time and patience to give them. 

• Like 3

Hmmm - I feel a bit bad now about my comment on 'rescues' - based I think, on my late sister-in-laws rescue dogs - they were such difficult dogs - one of them caused her daughter-in-law to never leave her children at the house as he really couldn't be trusted...much as I love dogs they would never come before my grandchildren.

• Like 2

Our little rescue was 8 when we got her and she’s just celebrated her 13th. We never suspected she would live this long from the state she was in when we got her as an ex- breeding dog.   If/when she’s ever replaced, I’d go for another rescue as there’s so many lovely dogs out there who need love.    She’s got a lot of life in her yet, doesn’t bark - obviously learned early on that there was no point in it.  She doesn’t know what toys are, and doesn’t ‘do’ walks - it was a long time before she ventured onto the grass, as she’d only ever lived in a crate.   She will walk for miles on the beach if we go out, but won’t walk away from the house to start a walk.

They are very tying though.  You can’t really be away from the house for any length of time.  When Zebedee goes in for his blood transfusions, we rely on someone letting her out for a wee, as we can be 6 hours or more.  
She knew he had cancer before we did though.  She suddenly started sitting velcroed to his leg on the sofa, whereas she had previously not had anything to do with him at all, and was very much ‘my’ dog.   Looking back, we both remarked on it.  So if she ever starts to choose to sit with me ……….😳😳

84BAD66F-EB51-4873-8D07-50A49EAC3C71.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 27/04/2024 at 09:35, sunnyday said:

Hmmm - I feel a bit bad now about my comment on 'rescues' - based I think, on my late sister-in-laws rescue dogs - they were such difficult dogs - one of them caused her daughter-in-law to never leave her children at the house as he really couldn't be trusted...much as I love dogs they would never come before my grandchildren.

You do have to be careful, yes. 

• Like 2

Our second rescue was used as a breeding dog and her and her partner were kept in a cage ll the time and only let out in the garden for toilet.  When we got her she literally did not know how to walk on a lead and would not wee or poo on a walk and would wait until she was back in the garden. This did not take long to sort as soon as she got a taste of a normal life.  She is however, very very needy and insecure, despite years of unconditional love and attention.  The start they have in life still stays with them in some way. 

• Like 2

Yes you’re right.  She still flinches if we put our hand over her head to stroke her.

As regards insurance, we decided that the quote was too expensive, so we put that amount in an ISA every month, so it’s there if we need it, and we aren’t just giving it away.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wow! I wasn't expecting quite so much useful information! 

The hours I work are my biggest concern - I could work out day care/dog sitters/walkers etc.  but even doing that it would be a long time on its own. Having said that it is also one of the motivators to stop me working such long hours which is the part that feels selfish. I don't even know where to start with finding reputable breeders etc. I don't have a problem with rescue dogs at all - have friends with some lovely ones but at the same time I believe they would be like children who were in need of fostering/adoption - you don't end up in that situation without something that could have a significant impact on their wellbeing and happiness. 

One of the other things that I think about is back up. I dog sat for a colleague a couple of years ago and loved it but there was one day when I wasn't very well - not seriously ill just asthma playing up and given the choice I would have curled up on the sofa and rested for the day but the dog needed a walk (as much because she wouldn't go to the toilet in my back garden) so I had to go. I don't really have a network of people who could help in that situation and although I'm rarely ill I think it's something to think about.

Having said that I did love the company and the necessary walks - I know it's good for me but it's much easier to go out because the dog needs it than because I do!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 28/04/2024 at 09:11, Froglet said:

Wow! I wasn't expecting quite so much useful information! 

😂 That made me smile young Froglet - you should know that 'the Friday gang' are always going to have a lot to say for ourselves!

I know that I have already blotted my copybook on the rescue front - but thinking about - it I don't think that any 'decent' rescue outfit would consider you a suitable adopter simply because of your working hours 🤷‍♀️ that said, my brother has a retired rescue greyhound who really couldn't care less if he has to be 'home alone'...when he took him on I said "crikey, won't he need endless long walks" but apparently not 🤷‍♀️ he is incredibly laid back (the greyhound, not my brother) and sleeps a good 20 hours per day, he seems to be okay with children but I know my brother would never leave him alone with any visiting grandchildren. Woe betide you if when walking him he sees anything 'small and fluffy', including cats, obviously he has been trained to chase such beings!

Anyway, good luck with your decision making, please let us know how it goes x

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was thinking greyhound too! I mean they are big - but as mentioned a lazy beyond belief! 

We have a few around here (I see all dogs as I'm on the local 'dog-walk' highway 😂)  As mentioned they like to sleep most of the time and only seem to need a 20 min walks according to the rescuee's I've chatted with. One is not even  the slightest interested in cats far to much effort I think!

• Like 2