Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recent "Embarrassing" Inadequate Judgement!

Well the usual things like, tranquilizers, a few pictures of the Inspector in un-compromising situations and a lot of hard cash! One way or another we will get the grade we deserve! Well to be honest it now contains nothing due to all the contents being ready and available on a table but we left the box for the LOL's

Edited by BroadOaks
  • Like 3

Sounds like you have done a great job in getting ready for your next inspection! :1b

I wondered if it would be worth you looking for some 'Safer Recruitment' training? I recently completed online training for this - it was offered (free of charge) by Kent Safeguarding Board - can't add a link but might be worth a quick 'google' :1b

• Like 1

Well the funny thing is (not so funny actually) we have been on Safer Recruitment courses not long ago and have the certificates :( - and we still didn't realise how tight the staff files need to be! We had got more information into them after the course but it simply wasn't enough.. and many of the items that we "couldn't put our hands on" we found in the following days! So it was also a lot to do with our organization skills aswell. SO get it all ready, make copies and more copies and have it all ready.

Well the funny thing is (not so funny actually) we have been on Safer Recruitment courses not long ago and have the certificates :( - and we still didn't realise how tight the staff files need to be! We had got more information into them after the course but it simply wasn't enough.. and many of the items that we "couldn't put our hands on" we found in the following days! So it was also a lot to do with our organization skills aswell. SO get it all ready, make copies and more copies and have it all ready.

Ah right - fair point :1b

At my Ofsted in March - I couldn't find the Complaints Log - not that - touching wood here - there are any complaints in it - inspector told me "not to worry about it" - to be honest she would have had to sit there for longer whilst I pulled the filing cabinet apart if she really wanted to see it.........two or three days later I thought I must find that and murphy's law - there it was exactly where it should have been :blink: :D

• Like 1

Ah right - fair point :1b

At my Ofsted in March - I couldn't find the Complaints Log - not that - touching wood here - there are any complaints in it - inspector told me "not to worry about it" - to be honest she would have had to sit there for longer whilst I pulled the filing cabinet apart if she really wanted to see it.........two or three days later I thought I must find that and murphy's law - there it was exactly where it should have been :blink: :D

But that's it exactly Sunnyday - we all know, generally, we have these items, but in the tizz of being put on the spot to find things we overlook exactly where they are, and sometimes it can have been months ago that these items were prepared and put away for "that day when" but they just aren't everyday working documents.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you had a disappointing inspection Broadoaks - I'm sure the parents know it isn't a true reflection of your provision.

I like the half day notice we get now (although some people don't as it gives them a sleepless night). We made a plan of how we would use the half day so at our recent inspection it gave us chance to:

• quickly work through a tick list remind ourselves where everything is (files/records etc.)
  • give the staff a single A4 sheet of paper that we have gone through with them at staff meetings, for them to read - and most of them took it home and read it a few times - reminding them of a few points re: safeguarding, british values etc. (yes I know its stuff they should know and they do really but sometimes when they are nervous they don't answer questions so confidently)
  • Walk round after closing and do a quick H & S check and tidy round
  • we asked some parents to arrive a bit earlier so that they could talk to the inspector
  • Like 6

Sorry to hear you had a disappointing inspection Broadoaks - I'm sure the parents know it isn't a true reflection of your provision.

I like the half day notice we get now (although some people don't as it gives them a sleepless night). We made a plan of how we would use the half day so at our recent inspection it gave us chance to:

• quickly work through a tick list remind ourselves where everything is (files/records etc.)
  • give the staff a single A4 sheet of paper that we have gone through with them at staff meetings, for them to read - and most of them took it home and read it a few times - reminding them of a few points re: safeguarding, british values etc. (yes I know its stuff they should know and they do really but sometimes when they are nervous they don't answer questions so confidently)
  • Walk round after closing and do a quick H & S check and tidy round
  • we asked some parents to arrive a bit earlier so that they could talk to the inspector

That's a great list - I would have to add

• don't panic!
  • Like 5

We also have an issue of longer serving staff not having references on record. So we rang Lawcall and they advised that references should only be kept for 1 year and after that you should actually get rid of the ones you have.

I had to insist my admin lady did not go around destroying them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We also have an issue of longer serving staff not having references on record. So we rang Lawcall and they advised that references should only be kept for 1 year and after that you should actually get rid of the ones you have.

I had to insist my admin lady did not go around destroying them.

Wow that is interesting! I guess people can change a lot in a year so it kinda makes sense, just like the DBS check really, it is the best we can do but it is still not the perfect systems unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

Just an update to this post...

We had Ofsted in before Christmas (thank god) and we have now got a Good and it was a very positive experience. So we are back where we belong and hopefully getting better and better all the time.

Mrs O actually said she had never seen a more accurate SEF :)

So yes we are very happy :)

• Like 11