Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

30 hours funding

angel99

Hi there

Is any one else experiencing what we are going through!

A few of our two year olds who we thought were going to move up to our preschool room in September are going to a School Nursery who are offering them 30 hours. Some of our Preschool children are doing the same. I feel cheated as Schools get 70% more pay and they are also recruiting mid year.ie January.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa! is any one else experiencing the same as me?

• Like 1

Yes! Exactly the same is happening to us and I'm finding it very worrying. We have always been full with a waiting list but our local primary,(which has had three 'requires improvement' ofsted outcomes in a row), is offering 30 hours free a week. We had five children leave at half term to 'start school' and are expecting lots more to go in September.

Crikey, thats awful. Looks like we may all be applying for 'Jobs in Schools' soon then! At least we wont have to worry about the 30 hours - schools will do them! Hmmmmm Thanks Dave!

I think playgroups and preschools should be complaining to the highest level. It is just giving them such an unfair advantage. Or perharps it's they only way they can attract customers!

Mind you how long will they continue for, it wasn't until we started offering 6 hour sessions that I found out how many times 25 children wet themselves a day!

• Like 4

How are the school nurseries funding the 30 hours. Are the children still only entitled to 15 hours or is your area in some kind of pilot scheme that they have forgotten to tell you about??? (Or daren't tell you about)

• Like 1

At the moment, none of our feeder schools have nursery classes, so lucky in that respect.

I do wonder how long before they do expand though... although our main feeder - only couple of years old doesn't have enough spaces as it is, and is so tightly packed onto its site I don't think there is any room to expand if it wanted too!

(they sold of all excess land... for you guessed it - a housing estate with lots and lots of young families. I'm thinking someone in the planning office may need a job evaluation done :D:D ::1a )

• Like 1

How are the school nurseries funding the 30 hours. Are the children still only entitled to 15 hours or is your area in some kind of pilot scheme that they have forgotten to tell you about??? (Or daren't tell you about)

Noone gets 30 "free" hours currently - as far as I know! There is no extra funding that I know off - the additional hours would have to be paid for by the parents, or the school is in receipt of additional funded hours from the LA, some of our schools have that for identified vulnerable children. Otherwise they are giving away places as they wouldn't get funding for somehow.

If there was a pilot it would have been announced as happening in the media.

Cx

• Like 1

I thought I read somewhere that settings had to be good or outstanding to get the 2yr funding? So how is it happening in the school Stargrower has mentioned? Or as usual is it a case of 'one rule for them and a different rule for us?!

M

• Like 1

At the moment, none of our feeder schools have nursery classes, so lucky in that respect.

I do wonder how long before they do expand though... although our main feeder - only couple of years old doesn't have enough spaces as it is, and is so tightly packed onto its site I don't think there is any room to expand if it wanted too!

Yes we are in the same 'fortunate' position........currently lots of building work being carried out at our local primary - I was lucky enough to get a guided tour last week - there was no mention of 'and this will be our nursery unit' - phew! :rolleyes:

Yes we are in the same 'fortunate' position........currently lots of building work being carried out at our local primary - I was lucky enough to get a guided tour last week - there was no mention of 'and this will be our nursery unit' - phew! :rolleyes:

When ours was being built it had a 'community use' room planned, we though 'hmm... so perhaps a preschool within school?' But that soon became an extra classroom- which was lucky for us!

Thanks for the replies everybody. Im both glad and devastated at the same time, glad that im not alone and devestated to have it happening to so many others. If schools are doing it to attract more families, I hope they get fed up with all the hard work that they will be involved in .fingers crossed hopefully it wont be for long

For long

I thought I read somewhere that settings had to be good or outstanding to get the 2yr funding? So how is it happening in the school Stargrower has mentioned? Or as usual is it a case of 'one rule for them and a different rule for us?!

M

Our school isn't taking two year olds, but is offering 30 hours to children as soon as they turn three. My deputy phoned the school asking for a place for her daughter who turns three in August (as 'research' you understand, she wouldn't dream of sending her daughter there!). She was told she could have 30 hours free in September. When she said she thought she was only entitled to 15 hours, they assured her she would get 30 hours - or actually 32.5 with no charge.

I'm ringing my LA today! Will let you know what they say...

• Like 2

It's worth remembering that schools get Pupil premium, from reception up. and it is considerably more than EYPP. Schools are also usually bigger places so if one setting has eg 5 children from that year group, that could equate (very roughly speaking) to 30 children across a whole primary school, which adds up to quite a lot of money. And that is just assuming that the nursery setting is the only feeder. If there are others, each with 3 or 4 children, then it quickly adds up.Of course whether schools would use it to fund additional nursery hours, I'm not so sure, but it's possible

We have been having children 'poached' from us by schools left right and centre ever since 3 & 4yr old funding came in and it's no different now, I had a child leave me 2 years ago before their funding kicked in as the school told them they would pay for the child until they could get the funding.

I do know of one of our feeder schools who are offering afternoon provision for 2 yr olds from Sept in their 'wraparound' and once one school does it they all start to follow suit :(

Well I would love to know who or what is funding these 30+ hours (apart from my income tax :P )

We were told quite firmly that EYPP was to be used to enhance the provision for these children and most definitely NOT to be used to fund hours.

I do think you should be asking the LA questions - I was told by our head of school finance that they would have to charge for additional hours if the child was not a funded two yr old, until the funding kicks in term after 3rd birthday.

From 26th May however schools do not have to register with Ofsted and can lower their entry age by up to 2 years. If they have a nursery they can just extend their provision. They have to provide 1:4 for the under 3s but have to follow qualification/ratio from EYFS framework. The practitioners would be under the direction/supervision of a QT, as this is school provision so the normal requirements would be a QTS delivering teaching and learning.

CX

From 26th May however schools do not have to register with Ofsted and can lower their entry age by up to 2 years. If they have a nursery they can just extend their provision. They have to provide 1:4 for the under 3s but have to follow qualification/ratio from EYFS framework. The practitioners would be under the direction/supervision of a QT, as this is school provision so the normal requirements would be a QTS delivering teaching and learning.

CX

Catma

If it is a school governor run 'wraparound' class does that have to have a QTS as lead?

eg one of our local schools has maintained class in the morning run by QTS then at lunch time their wraparound staff run it for those who are staying from the morning plus any other children who wish to join aged 2 and upwards this is run by Level 3's

Catma

If it is a school governor run 'wraparound' class does that have to have a QTS as lead?

eg one of our local schools has maintained class in the morning run by QTS then at lunch time their wraparound staff run it for those who are staying from the morning plus any other children who wish to join aged 2 and upwards this is run by Level 3's

I'm pretty sure that wraparound doesn't need someone with QTS.

the nursery unit my son is attending only offers 5 sessions morning or afternoon. They do not and will not offer any wrap around care. With how many nursery units are run I can't understand how they will do it especially as the afternoon session is a repeat of the morning session.

Catma

If the provision is managed by the governors and the children are essentially pupils of the school then they would now come under the school entirely. If the pm provision is paid for by parents on top of the the nursery class or they are funded 2s, then I don't think they would have to have QTS but I think they would have to be under the direction of a QT, at a level of supervision that the HT feels is appropriate. The qualifications would have to meet the EYFS stat. framework ie 1:4 for 2s etc.

TBH I'm still trying to make sense of all of this since the sudden de-regulation in May!!

Cx

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)