Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just wondered if........

sunnyday

.......it would be considered unprofessional to shake some of my parents until their teeth rattle :ph34r:

Oh would it, that's a real shame :rolleyes:

If I make a short list - perhaps you will know where I'm coming from......

Crocs

Strappy tops

Strappy Dresses

Long dresses

No sunscreen applied

No sunhat supplied

Failure to read any newsletters (please don't even bother suggesting that they may not be able to read - they all can!!!)

I could go on.....and on......and on - but will only wind myself up.......

Silly season has well and truly arrived :ph34r:

• Like 8

We're lucky so far. Pumps, trainers, t-shirts, leggings, jeans. Ha, our parents are better than yours....:D

I'll open a beer for you ;)

Edited by Rea
  • Like 2

We're lucky so far. Pumps, trainers, t-shirts, leggings, jeans. Ha, our parents are better than yours....:D

I'll open a beer for you ;)

Cheers Rea!

Oh no the C word...CROCS! AAAARGH!

They may be comfy (or sweaty?) but they cause more trips and bumps than anything else.

I feel a risk assessment coming on... :D:o:D

The main risk at the moment is to (some of) my parents - so pleased it's Friday! :1b

We are not in a purpose built but we do have access to a fantastic play area - with great opportunities to run, climb, balance, swing - none of this is so easily achieved when wearing stupid unsuitable footwear and/or ridiculous floaty long dresses - have I pointed this out - oh yes, only about a million times :ph34r:

• Like 1

LOL Sunnyday could have been written by me this week

Would love to just write in massive letters on my notice board ' which part of NO strappy/vest tops, NO crocs/Jellies, Sun hats needed, suncream to be applied before arrival (to your child that is, not you !) DON'T YOU B****Y GET ???

• Like 3

Given that we have a small but interesting box of spare clothes I would change unsuitable items for ours. Footwear is another matter however, what is it with crocs - mind you I say that about lace up boots and shoes because the children can't manage them!

Edited by Panders
  • Like 3

With you all the way Sunnyday - have been nagging about sun screen all week - one parent "Oh no I didn't put it on but he does have a short sleeved t-shirt" - v. unprofessional deputy - "So he can burn more?" xDxD I wouldn't mind quite so much but we post the UV rate on the door with a skin tone chart, there is a link to the met office on our web site so that they can check the UV for themselves before they arrive and as a Sunsafe accredited setting they have all signed up to say this is what they will do :blink:

Have gotten round the problem of sunhats - they have to provide one when their children start and we keep it at the setting.

Fed up of nagging about unsuitable foot wear even though we ask parents to send children in closed toe shoes/trainers so that they may access all our play resources I put out the large community playthings wooden blocks today and asked offending parents to ensure that they put children in appropriate footwear as we would not like to send them home with broken toes!

So much for the tactful approach this week :D:D:D B)

• Like 2

.......it would be considered unprofessional to shake some of my parents until their teeth rattle :ph34r:

Oh would it, that's a real shame :rolleyes:

If I make a short list - perhaps you will know where I'm coming from......

Crocs

Strappy tops

Strappy Dresses

Long dresses

No sunscreen applied

No sunhat supplied

Failure to read any newsletters (please don't even bother suggesting that they may not be able to read - they all can!!!)

I could go on.....and on......and on - but will only wind myself up....

Silly season has well and truly arrived :ph34r:

This really did make me chuckle :) there is nothing more frustrating as parents that don't listen... We have started supplying our own sun cream and get the parents to donate a pound, hats we have a big stash, we have our own Welles to go in the muddy kitchen and as for sandals, crocks and unsuitable cloths!!Well u can only do so much lol. On the bright side it's the weekend and the sun is going to shine, so pull up a chair and relax with a big glass of wine... :)

posted a sign today

To all

Mummies and Daddies - summer rules

Please can you make sure we have

1 a named sunhat

2 No open toed shoes without socks

3. A named bottle of suncream

4. No dresses please we can't climb in them

5 Suncream applied before we get to pre-school

Thank you from all your lovely children

Hehe decided pester power might work!

• Like 2

Given that we have a small but interesting box of spare clothes I would change unsuitable items for ours. Footwear is another matter however, what is it with crocs - mind you I say that about lace up boots and shoes because the children can't manage them!

I would take Panders' box of spare clothes, equip it with some jumble sale footwear in appropriate sizes then ask parents on arrival to choose something more appropriate from the box to change their child into before handing them over.

• Like 3

Much as I hate crocs - some of our girls would be better off wearing them than some of the footwear displayed this week!!! :angry:

I tell you.... I have better ways of spending my weekend than writing ruddy newsletters and/or making posters!!!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Like 4

So annoying!!! We provide suncream now though so we can cream them all up first thing with once a day and they're done! Parents pay a small amount for the year - £1 if they do one day, £2 if two days, £3 if three etc, so much easier but we are full day care! Sandals are the worst with floppy flappy toes! And they get the most clashable Tshirt we can find to go with their outfit if they have shoulders out :-)

• Like 1

We provide suncream now though so we can cream them all up first thing with once a day and they're done!

One of our local nurseries did this and a child had a really severe reaction to the one they used....do all your parents know which type you use? (talking as a Mum of 2 children who had to have a particular variety of suncream that was not waterproof as they got prickly heat!)

Edited by finleysmaid

I'm just happy that we have finally got rid of the willies that some children wear all year apart from hot weather!

Willies - you have got rid of them - shocked and horrified - what on earth is going on at your setting :o quick someone alert the authorities! xD :rolleyes:

• Like 2

One of our local nurseries did this and a child had a really severe reaction to the one they used....do all your parents know which type you use? (talking as a Mum of 2 children who had to have a particular variety of suncream that was not waterproof as they got prickly heat!)

That's exactly why we don't apply suncream

• Like 1

Yep we ask them to try it at home first if they want to but none ever have. We have tester tubes that the company we get it from sends us! We tell them what it is - ultrasun the brand is and is suitable for very sensitive skin. It's pretty pricey but never had anyone have a reaction to it, they can provide their own if they want but very rare that they do! A lot of our parents actually ask us where we get it from so they can buy some too!

• Like 1

Yep we ask them to try it at home first if they want to but none ever have. We have tester tubes that the company we get it from sends us! We tell them what it is - ultrasun the brand is and is suitable for very sensitive skin. It's pretty pricey but never had anyone have a reaction to it, they can provide their own if they want but very rare that they do! A lot of our parents actually ask us where we get it from so they can buy some too!

we have been recommended this before but it's £19 for 100mls on the website...i'd get through a bottle a day...do your parent donations cover your costs?

We get it for £42 for 500mls off gorgeous shop I think it is. Yep has always covered the costs, we normally get through between 2-3 big bottles per summer. We make children wear a Tshirt that covers shoulders so is just legs, arms, neck and face! We find it just makes our life easier too!

I've just sent a letter out reminding them to bring hats, that caps are not acceptable so it must be a hat that covers their neck.

I've also sent a letter about suncream stating what brand we use and that unless they return the slip we will be using ours, otherwise they should bring a bottle of their own cream. Felt it was easier to give an opt out rather than opt in!

Our problem is we have around a 100 children a day attending so to catch everyone to see if they were creamed up before they came would be a nightmare!

• Like 1

Why does the spelling correction always change wellies to willies!!

And why do I never notice?

My key stage manager once sent a letter out asking parents to send their children in wearing 'a pair of willies' .... She had one parent in first thing saying that as she was the mother of twin boys she might be the only one able to fulfil the request :-)

Sun cream we ask all parents to sign a permission slip so we can apply sun cream if needed but we expect them to put on before they arrive , it is only for top up if they do all day. We state what ours is and if they say no they have to state they are supplying their own labelled for their child. Hats , we do have spares because someone always forgets.

• Like 1