Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Facebook

I am considering starting a Facebook page for the parents of my setting. I understand that I have to move with the times and use a method of communication which will reach my parents. I have thought about it for a long time and decided that a closed group site is the best option for us. Does anyone already do this, is it working and also does anyone have a policy regarding how the site will be used,

who can post, what is/isn't acceptable? Please give me your comments.

We have a face book page and I have to say it is invaluable. I use it mostly to put reminders on, say what we have done during the day and to put policies on when I update them. I don't put any photo's on which have children in them - that's done on our password protected website.

• Like 1

Do you have a policy which parents sign, regarding expected conduct etc? I am a bit nervous about this but do feel it is the way to go and hopefully reach parents that usually ignore newsletters and yes use it as reminder. How long have you had your site running for?

I run a page from my own facebook page. Its a closed group which requires either an invitation to join or parents send a request and then I add them.

We put photos on to show the parents what the children have been doing weekly or fortnightly, whenever I find the time!

We have a Code of Conduct pinned to the top of the page, I found it on google and adapted it for us.

Welcome to the XXXXX Pre-school Facebook page.
We hope you will find the information useful and motivating. Please read our
Community Code of Conduct

1. XXXXX Pre-school aims to create a platform for sharing and discussing articles and ideas relevant to Early Years. We want people to express opinions on all contributions. However we will not tolerate personal attacks on our contributors or community members. We welcome positive and constructive comments, but we will not entertain cyber bullying in any posts.

2. Threatening and offensive language has no place in real life, nor does it have a place on the internet, and in particular, our Facebook page.

3. Any language deemed to be threatening or offensive will be removed. We will not tolerate sexism, racism, homophobia or any other form of hate-speech.

4. We reserve the right to remove content posted by anyone which the Committee of XXXXX Pre-school deems to be defamatory or anything which is bought to our attention.

5. Remember your privacy and security on Fcebook or any other internet site is your responsibility. XXXXX Pre-school Facebook page is secure please adjust your own privacy and security settings if you wish to remain private to all but your own friends.

6. Remember, if you wish to talk about your child the proper place for this is in Playgroup not on this Facebook page. This is not the place to discuss individual children.

We reserve the right to remove contributions from the community which violates this Code of Conduct. We believe that this does not impede on your freedom of expression. The welfare of our community is of paramount importance to Immanuel. All our contributors are volunteers, and should not be treated as though they take a salary.

We advise that if you feel strongly about a particular issue, you consider carefully how best to phrase what you want to say. The written word is not able to convey tone in the same way as speech. While we accept that this is obvious, it is a sad state of affairs that a considerable amount of people forget this before they publish their views on the internet.

Hope its useful : )

You could also ask to join the FSF Addicts facebook page (there used to be a question asked to check you were a real FSF person, not sure if that still happens?) for ideas on how to run a closed group, you can find it here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/46864964370/

Edited by Susan
to remove Preschool name
  • Like 1

We have a closed group too the same as Rea and it's brilliant, parents will post pics in it when they go on holiday/ out for the day which we can then print/ share with the children. We put a weekly update on too about the planning and anything news like! Once you get the hang of it I think you'll find it will really work for you! I might borrow your code of conduct if that's ok though Rea?x

Thank you Rea and woodlands1997, think I was just worried how it would work and who would be able to see the posts. I would also like to add photos. Have either of had any problems with it so far and how long have you been using Facebook?

We've probably had the group for a year now. I personally don't put any photos of children on just as I'm so wary of this on the internet in any form! Will put photos of things we are doing/ done just not including children! I also remove parents from the group if the children leave x

Bizzylizzy I too had your fears but went for it recently , closed group only I can add parents , use it to update and reminders but bear in mind not every parent is on Facebook , working well so far. I did have to Facebook a friend whose nursery page was open and had pictures of children on it ! ! She soon changed it .

Our social network policy for staff states no staff member can add parents as friends whilst they are attending our preschool of comment on preschool on their own pages . An ex member of staff who now works at an outstanding setting does this and has parents as friends , shocks me to say the least but hey oh our conscience is clear.

Our social network policy for staff states no staff member can add parents as friends whilst they are attending our preschool of comment on preschool on their own pages . An ex member of staff who now works at an outstanding setting does this and has parents as friends , shocks me to say the least but hey oh our conscience is clear.

I'm interested to know what you do about staff who are already friends with parents when their children start with you? I have to say I have a lot of parents as friends - probably 50% of them were friends before their children were even born, we are a small village pre-school so it's a bit like everyone knows everyone else :) I never put anything about pre-school on face book - unless it is to say what a great day at work I have had or something similar, no names, activities or anything like that are ever added. I also never put photo's on of me on a night out or anything that could be frowned upon, I never put statuses saying I feel ill or anything else like that - but I wouldn't do that anyway whether I had parents as friends, doesn't it just craze you when you see someone put "I feel so ill, been sick all night" etc etc???? If you feel that ill what the heck are you doing on facebook!

hhmm sorry I went a bit off topic there lol!

• Like 1

I'm the same as you mrsbat! Have friends on Facebook that I was friends with before, surely I shouldn't have to 'defriend' them when there child starts!? I have become 'friends' with others too through nursery who I genuinely now see as friends. We are also small and rural and have a similar everyone knows everyone else type thing! Staff know that they can't put anything negative about the nursery, can't put anything that will reflect badly on the nursery etc but they can be friends with whoever as I don't really see how I can stipulate that? We have never had any problems in this respect to Facebook at all!

The issue I did have however was a member of staff (who I wasn't friends with and nor were any parents!) putting a status about not enjoying work, staff weren't nice and feeling like she was being pushed out! I only checked her Facebook page as she was going through disciplinary meetings and off 'sick' a lot so thought I'd have a nosey! She had an open page with our nursery posted as her workplace with this status at the top. Hence to say it was printed and discussed with her the next morning as an instant sackable offence. Anyone could have seen that page friends or not so unless you also ensure all staff have private profiles there are some things that are out of your control, fortunately our staff generally are very thoughtful and play strictly by the rules :-)

• Like 1

I am the manager of a small village pre-school and I have all the parents on my facebook friends list. Even parents of children who have left. It is lovely to see how they are getting on. As Woodlands said, some of our parents have become genuine friends.

I have a couple of parents who are very shy and through facebook they will tell me about things their child has done etc. so it definitely helps in these cases. Parents also put on pictures for me to print and include in learning journeys which is also lovely.

However, I do not use facebook to tell everyone what I am doing or talk about work etc.

We have a facebook page which is open to everyone which includes a daily blog, pictures of our pre-school (no children) and changes to open times etc.

We also have a private facebook group which we add photos and reminders etc. to. Only parents/grandparents are added to this group and they love seeing the pictures of children happily playing.

I am also in a village preschool of the village where I live and yes I do have some parents on there that are my good friends before their children started so no I don't un friend them but it would be hypocritical for me to have a policy in place and not adhere to it.

Living in a village has it's benefits everyone knows what your doing before you do it yourself and although staff know how to behave parents may take advantage , my friend who are parents understand that I will not discuss work children etc on Fb . I can choose what I want to share with people who care. Having the policy in place means no member of staff is compromised , once children leave that is ok , I believe our policy is right for us ,

• 5 months later...

just found this post, I am going to tackle starting a facebook page after half term, I have reservations but it seems it is expected of settings now as a way of keeping parents in the link. :)

not in my setting it isn't ....personally wouldn't go there with a barge pole! :blink: :ph34r::o

• Like 1

We've had one for nearly two years, our parents love it, we also do a free txt service, newsletters and e-mailing service so it's not a stand alone thing as some parents are not on face book, I do not like (in terms of clicking like) or run the page with my personal account so parents do not see my profile which is fully secure anyway (well as secure as it can be) it's a great tool for marketing not just information sharing. It's controlled well as you can opt for what is allowed to be put on etc.... I would never get rid if it, all for it from our end :)

Edited by Rochelle
  • Like 1

just found this post, I am going to tackle starting a facebook page after half term, I have reservations but it seems it is expected of settings now as a way of keeping parents in the link. :)

finleysmaid and fredbear are obviously not facebook fans, and there is no reason why you should feel under pressure to set up a page if you really don't feel comfortable with it.

I do know groups who use it effectively and whose parents love it but maybe you should start by making a list of your reservations and see if you can find a way to overcome them? If not, I'd say probably having a facebook page is going to make you feel very uneasy.

Good luck - let us know how you get on! :1b

i am only thinking about it as I went to a network meeting for senco/inco and they mentioned that its now becoming almost expected of settings, I would love to know the percentage of settings who do and who don't :)

Sounds like a mini research project there! ;)

i am only thinking about it as I went to a network meeting for senco/inco and they mentioned that its now becoming almost expected of settings, I would love to know the percentage of settings who do and who don't :)

Do what is right for you and your setting! Your senco has no influence on how you run your business....there is NO requirement for you to have facebook (and i doubt there ever will be!) .....why did they suggest that you should have it? i would assume that you do not discuss sen issues online so what's it got to do with them???

As Happy Maz has suggested i am no fan...i have had issues in the past with it and it cost a friend their job (long story!) ...so for me it's not right but for you it might be the best thing ever :rolleyes: :1b

• Like 1

I do not have a pre school facebook page, once something is on the Internet it is there.

Neither do I allow staff to friend parents of children attending or post comments about the pre school.

This can leave you wide open and staff vulnerable. Thing is you may have staff now who abide by your code but what of the future and you employ someone that doesn't , you need to have policies not just for now but for what ifs as well

Just my thoughts

I don't do facebook either, Im an old dinosaur that doesn't 'get' the need to tell everyone the minutia of life.

But others do, as is their right, and if you do find it engages parents, then so be it.

As someone who is passionate about digital exclusion, ( its something Id love to research in more depth)I would just ensure that if you have families who dont/cant access facebook, twitter, etc etc, that they are not excluded from what is happening in your setting. This may sound very simple, but there is a culture that develops around 'everything being online', and those that don't or cant access can feel 'left out' of conversations, or feel that they are out of the loop. Its similar to years ago when we considered parents or families that couldn't read the letters we sent out (and of course that still exists too).

Here endeth my twopenneth!

• Like 1