Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Church hall users/ communit halls - what do you pay in rent?

Can I ask church/community hall users what rent you pay per term or month please?

Seems to be an issue all of a sudden with our church despite a letter in January saying they weren't increasing it but letter last weekend mentions the fact we don't pay full rent 4 times.

We currently pay £275 a month, £1100 per term. I have had no say in the rent nor have they approached us to see what we can afford but just want an idea so I can approach them and come to some agreement with them

Also, you will really need to find out what they charge other hall users when they hire the hall.. this will be how they decide on your rent and if give a discount .

Ours was always lower that the hourly rate they charged others.. as we were a charity and a guaranteed income..

may also depend on what services are included... we had to clean ourselves, supply all materials for that, no phone line, we had one installed just for our use (before mobiles but then the signal was really bad in the hall for them ) , gas and electric were included... but with the costs of these always increasing they too have to cover their costs..

Edited by Inge

Guest sn0wdr0p

£1500 per year - yes you read it right. We also have sole use of the premises. The hall was going to rack and ruin so as there was not enough out of school provision I received a capital grant to do it up. I have a ten year lease with the diocese and I have to maintain and upkeep the premises and surrounding land. The only proviso is that the churchgoers have use of the car park for services on a Saturday and Sunday. In honesty I have ploughed an awful lot of my own money improving the premises bit by bit each year and all spare cash has been used to do it so it maybe isn't quite the bargain it seems. Some of that is down to me though as I have made a lot of changes to accomodate a nursery as just running an out of school service was not sustainable once I pay the utilities etc. Looks like this year - finally - I can start paying myself as the nursery provision is taking off. Very lucky to have a husband who can see my vision and afford (just) to support the family.

We do get a discount from others I know.

We have use of a small hall and a kitchen area. We do have access to a large hall at present too but thinks that will change with the renovations.

I actually think the fact we are no longer a charity is what is causing us major issues.

However it's costing us £1300 to deal with the ongoing mouse problem that has been ongoing for 4 years and that I was told to deal with myself!

We pay £600 a term , very large hall plus other rooms we can use. we keep garden maintained as it is for our sole use. Sazz J I am concerned you are paying for a rodent problem, that is the duty of the hall trustees, owners as part of their health and safety obligations do not allow them to continue letting you sort it.

• Like 2

:o I'm sooooooo hoping members of our Hall management Committee never read this thread :ph34r: - that is, of course, highly unlikely! :D I am getting a very good deal - however, as I outlined in another thread I do give up lots of my time voluntarily to support our hall with 'secretarial' duties :1b

I pay £180.00 per month - 20 x 3 hour sessions :1b which equates to just £9.00 each morning.

My staff are on rather 'attractive' rates of pay - because they're worth it! :1b

Completely agree with lashes re the rodent problem it should be sorted by Hall Committee

• Like 2

I have raised the matter many times over the last four years, found a live mouse in the bin as it never used to have a lid, thrown out 100's of pounds of equipment, hoovered and washed equipment daily as evidence of droppings in toys/equipment and on rugs to be told 'I am not dealing with mouse traps are you prepared too'!!!

I get it's a church and it's a big old building but believe me there is only so much scrubbing and cleaning I can do in 3 hours! The droppings were on the benches daily, on the cooker etc! Enough was enough - they aren't happy about it and I will raise it in the meeting tomorrow. How can you have functions for 100+ people when there are mouse droppings in food preparation areas.

Last straw was when they ate a child's pair of slippers :o After that my parents knew and threatened to contact environmental health x

I pay £10.50 an hour. This includes all the utilities.I am using a church I usually get what I want from the P.C.C so i feel its worth it. Most other groups that used the hall have closed down. Probably due to the increased rent so we can leave leave our resources out most days.I was invited to a meeting 5 years ago, listened to what they wanted regarding refurbishments, applied for lottery funding and made lots of changes costing the church nothing.I encouraged them to apply for funding for things that I couldn't claim for so we have a good relationship.

Edited by bubblejack

they are breaking the law by allowing anyone to hire the kitchen or use it for ffod prep knowing they have a rodent problem , I am chair of the trustees of my hall and would be enraged to allow this to continue , they have obligations to their hirers whatever the rent !

Ohh they aren't bothered at all! Should have just rang environmental health I think now but the mice issue is least of our worries now :(

They haven't said they want us is but have suggested if they can't meet our needs we find an alternative premises!

They can't accommodate us and they know that. I am speaking to my parents Thursday and seriously thinking of hitting the papers in a desperate cry to help us find new premises as we are struggling :( xx

Oh no Finleysmaid!!! That's astronomical. Say you expected an increase but not that much! Over 150% increase

Well were no further forward but parents working together to locate something else for us! They are good parents

• Like 1