Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

egg boxes

so, are we to assume that our families are not to be trusted to bring in 'clean' loo roll tubes?? Come on, if we assume that WE are clean, let's extend the same courtesy to our families. Or, put it another way, tell me how many children have become ill through use of loo roll tubes?? I have been working in childcare for 40 years and don't know of any............and the same goes for egg boxes. There are times that we'd have had no art resources if those two staple items were missing. Just a bit of common sense...........if they look grubby ( by which i mean maybe bits of broken egg on the cartons..................not bits of poo, which presumably you would smell anyway?), then chuck them out. Do we extend this same worry to fruit that some groups ask parents to bring in....could that be contaminated?? How many of us throw playdough away daily, because after all, it might be contaminated by sneezes......or even worms!Really, where does it end? how many germs are on shoes that get trodden through the building.......there are probably masses of faecal bugs all over our floors, or phlegm from all the spit on paths............loo roll tubes might be the least of your worries :)

• Like 7

many previous discussions about this... note post 15 in this one... a member who trained in science giver her views...

http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/1422-loo-rolls-and-egg-boxes/

and I find it interesting that it is thought kitchen roll tubes could be uncontaminated ... who is tyo knoe it has not touched raw chicken while in use... or similar other nasties found in the kitchen .... very easy to pick up a roll with contaminated hands and use it... maybe more than a toilet roll that has been on a holder..

could the argument also take the stance that we are actually helping children become resilient to these bugs..remembering of course that bugs need warmth and damp to multiply and by the time these items are used they have usually been dry for long enough for bugs to die anyway...

• Like 3

I don't disagree Inge this a preference of my own. I don't ask parents, generally, to contribute much if anything, we supply all that we need from our own resourcing. We are a small group so this is easily done. I'm not scared of germs, bugs, or anything, it's purely a personal choice not to use toilet rolls.

• Like 2

I have just read this post and I can't believe this old news of not using junk model items is still debating

OM goodness bigger issues out there folks

I'm going to start saving egg boxes.

I've been back at playgroup for 1 week but must have heard a thousand times 'we dont do that...'.

Rebellion is in the wind

"when the beating of your heart echos the beating of the drums....... xD :rolleyes:

• Like 5

isn't this the joy of this forum though we can have a discussion about loo rolls with just as much aplomb as a discussion about safeguarding!

Certainly is - and surely it is important that members feel free to ask a question without worrying that it might be frowned upon.......

• Like 2

I don't ask parents, generally, to contribute much if anything, we supply all that we need from our own resourcing.

Going slightly off topic here, but even though we were a very small group, I always asked families to support us by providing boxes and so on for junk modelling. One child would bring in a cereal box or whatever, which another child would turn into something fantastic - the simple act of sharing gave each child a sense of ownership, and of collaboration.

Can't remember whether there would have been toilet rolls, mind you. ;)

• Like 1

I used to love junk modelling with boxes and tubes of every conceivable shape, size and source. You do just need to use your judgement...if it looks grubby then chuck it but as practitioners there are some things that don't feel right for whatever reason and if it is loo rolls then so be it....wrapping paper middles are soooo much better, you can make light sabres out of them :DxD:ph34r:

• Like 1

Going slightly off topic here, but even though we were a very small group, I always asked families to support us by providing boxes and so on for junk modelling. One child would bring in a cereal box or whatever, which another child would turn into something fantastic - the simple act of sharing gave each child a sense of ownership, and of collaboration.

Can't remember whether there would have been toilet rolls, mind you. ;)

That still happens Maz but after years and years of reminding parents in newsletters to bring in stuff they just do it automatically. However, if I want something particular we just get on and collect it ourselves not surprisingly the pre school generates a lot of its own recyclables

That still happens Maz but after years and years of reminding parents in newsletters to bring in stuff they just do it automatically. However, if I want something particular we just get on and collect it ourselves not surprisingly the pre school generates a lot of its own recyclables

But don't stop sending the newsletters!

We were told this was one of the easiest ways to prove you are working with parents..... we often do 'projects' and ask for certain things......... we often (most of the time :rolleyes: ) still end up buying bits/bobs to complete them - but at least we have a 'paper trail' of working together with parents, which appears to be this years Ofsted hottie.

I second that so motion passed....you are not allowed to grow up....may the force be with you

Not sure that you should mention passing motions unless you've definitely not touched the toilet roll inner before washing your hands!

• Like 4

I feel compelled to make a light sabre noise now - whoosh, whoosh........note to self - must try to grow up a bit :ph34r: :blink: xDxDxD

I thought they went zzhummm, zzhummm?! ;) and yes, I have just made the noise out loud! Please don't grow up - I need all the people I can get on my level to talk to!

• Like 3

Reckon 'growing up' is completely over-rated - so no danger of me doing so anytime soon!

zzhummm, zzhummm - yep that's it! xD

phew! I did a lot of research into Star Wars last year as it was a particular interest of my then class - still never managed to watch an entire film all the way through, in the right order, in one sitting and it's not for want of trying!