Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

egg boxes

Not sure if I am writing in the correct forum, i apologise if i'm not. I vaguely remember quite some time ago when i worked at another setting we were informed that we were no longer allowed to let the children use cardboard egg boxes for activities whether it be art and craft or otherwise. I have stuck to that in my own setting and now am being questioned by all my staff after one of them bought in some egg boxes to put in with the junk modelling and I said to throw them away. I cannot remember who said they were not allowed to be used or for what reason and am unable to find any information online. Can anyone help please?.

yes i remember this too it was to do with salmonela I think . I use supermarket ones as the eggs are cleaned I would be careful of elsewhere not sure if this is right though just my personal take on it.

Thank you. Can't believe i havent used them for so long due to a myth, beforehand we used to use them all the time for a wide range of activities. I'm off to buy some eggs now and please my staff

They'll be eggstatic! :ph34r:

The thing with these myths is that the people who tell you the 'rule' is so adamant about it, and the information always seems to come from a reliable source - "I heard it on a course", "The LA told me" that you believe it. Same as the 'can't have children sitting on your knee without a cushion underneath' or 'we need a witness to change a nappy'.

But let's not open that can of worms, eh? ;)

• Like 2

Not sure if I am writing in the correct forum, i apologise if i'm not. I vaguely remember quite some time ago when i worked at another setting we were informed that we were no longer allowed to let the children use cardboard egg boxes for activities whether it be art and craft or otherwise. I have stuck to that in my own setting and now am being questioned by all my staff after one of them bought in some egg boxes to put in with the junk modelling and I said to throw them away. I cannot remember who said they were not allowed to be used or for what reason and am unable to find any information online. Can anyone help please?.

I needed a lot of egg boxes for a project last Mothers Day I had some but not enough I called in at the local farm shop and they sold me some new unused ones for a few pence each. If you feel uneasy using them after all that has been said, new ones may be a good option.

I have always been the same and not used them, mind you we have twins with severe egg allergy at the moment so wouldn't risk it anyway but it's useful to know farm shops etc will sell them Thank you :D....... Do people use toilet rolls???

Ah - well, yes - if i had any children with an egg allergy - I would have to re-think my egg box obsession! :D

No, I don't use loo roll middles - sure they would be fine - but just doesn't appeal to me..........

Thank you. Can't believe i havent used them for so long due to a myth, beforehand we used to use them all the time for a wide range of activities. I'm off to buy some eggs now and please my staff

Be warned............ they are not the 'same' shape anymore!!! :o:D:D ::1a

They have a 'sticky uppy' bit in the middle now :huh: [stops the eggs getting broken] .... which makes making daffodils for St David's day a tad more tricky!!!

(not fluffy duck I promise!!! :1b :1b )

• Like 1

yes same for us just dont think i like the idea of loo rolls (especially from some of our families! :o ) also i don't use polystyrene as it expands when swallowed and (apparently) is not able to be found by xray....but to be honest also because i can't stand it!!!!

Polystyrene - arrghhhhhhh - horrible squeaky stuff - I can't bear it either :bananas: I sometimes wonder fm - we weren't separated at birth were we? :o:D

Polystyrene - arrghhhhhhh - horrible squeaky stuff - I can't bear it either :bananas: I sometimes wonder fm - we weren't separated at birth were we? :o:D

Well are you sure you're not one and the same person? I've never seen you together... ;)

We use kitchen rolls or wrapping paper tubes cut them to what ever size we want then. Don't think I could bring myself to use loo rolls after all these years, they might well be myths but some are just good sense like old wive's tales.

If the toilet roll police want to come and get me I say bring it on!!!

• Like 1