Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dislikes - share yours!

Morning everyone

Sat here thinking (or should I say reflecting!) on my practice at work and wondered what others thought.

I like going outside in the rain

I don't mind getting sploshed with paint ... or mud ... or Angel Delight (don't ask!)

I like being asked to get dressed up for role play

I love to read with the children

but I really dislike show and tell! Just cannot get inspired with the various items that the children are bringing. This week we were focussing on Elmer and usual request went out to parents to encourage items from home to do with the theme ... and there I sat with the basket full of spiderman, tractors, a doll, a moshi monster and a bead arghhhhhh.

What's your pet hate?

but I really dislike show and tell! Just cannot get inspired with the various items that the children are bringing. This week we were focussing on Elmer and usual request went out to parents to encourage items from home to do with the theme ... and there I sat with the basket full of spiderman, tractors, a doll, a moshi monster and a bead arghhhhhh.

Oh I really like 'show and tell' - but we don't have any sort of theme for it - children bring whatever they like - it's another good way to find out what they are 'in to' - sparks some great conversation and boosts confidence and self-esteem - mine are all very keen to 'show and tell' their friends about their favourite toys, books whatever! :1b

My dislikes.......hmmm - 'ridiculous' footwear springs to mind!!!

• Like 1

Hair slides! They dangle in the hair or fall off. (Or shall I say hair in the children's faces, or having to rearrange children's hair, or when parents keep on sending their children with just a pony tail without or with hair slides - they are asked to put a hair tie to keep the hair securely away from the face.)

Oh I'm with you on the ridiculous footwear Sunnyday. We have several children who come in new shoes several sizes too big. I can only think its because a) Mummy really liked them but they didn't have them in the right size, so she just bought them anyway or Little Angel had a massive tantrum in the shoe shop so they bought them too big rather than say 'no'!

Edited by Stargrower
  • Like 1

When parents send children in ill if you are not quick off the mark you dont notice when they drop them off. Then when you call them to collect them they say oh he was a bit off but he wanted to come so I gave him some calpol.

I love the engrossed play in the mud kitchen.

Wildflowers we suggest to parents to put hair up as an aid to nit avoidence, my grandaughter is completly free range with hair to match and would find putting it up very constraining.How do you word this or follow it up I am intrigued .

my current 'dislike' is snot.....................turn off now if squeamish....really!..........................I am sitting here with probably the heaviest cold I have ever had. Last night, I actually thought I was dying, because I bolted awake with my throat congested and full of the slimy stuff and I couldn't breathe while it all drained down the front of my pj's. I then threw up. Good so far?? Still with me??.............How, you might ask, did I acquire such a wonderful cold?? well, last week, child turns up with green, snotty cold..................you can see where this is heading, can't you??........................he's well in himself, but has had this for ages, only reason we let him in tbh..........but anyway, I digress...........so, I sit next to him at lunch table, all going well so far and THEN.......oh my, THEN I turn round to ask this child a question, just as he spits at me......so, my mouth is open and I am within range. You can work out the rest I'm sure...............and the result is that I am feeling proper poorly. Once i start coughing, I can't stop, sometimes, for literally two hours at a time.........GP says ride it out, if no better after a couple of weeks, let him know.............child's parents, btw...........dad laughed like a drain, but stopped when I gave him my most withering look.........mum blamed grandpa, so i suggested she sends grandpa to see me and I can play my version of this 'game' with him!!!!

oh yes, Rea....dressing up clothes too, on, off, on, off, on, off,on,off,on,off

• Like 2

/.../ my granddaughter is completely free range with hair to match and would find putting it up very constraining. How do you word this or follow it up I am intrigued .

Parents are informed how to prepare their child for a day with us, which includes how to keep hair away from the children's face. Parents try to tie it back but it doesn't stay because they use hair slides. We just tie back the hair if it isn't not done properly, and hope the parents pick up the message.

Parents who always forget to bring their child in wearing their plasses. Even worse parents who refuse to take their child to optician for an eye test when the child is showing all signs of not being able to see what they are doing.Parents who bring children in with a very wet nappy or worse. Parents who fuss too much. Parents who forget to tell me that their child has been sick all night.

Parents who always forget to bring their child in wearing their plasses. Even worse parents who refuse to take their child to optician for an eye test when the child is showing all signs of not being able to see what they are doing.Parents who bring children in with a very wet nappy or worse. Parents who fuss too much. Parents who forget to tell me that their child has been sick all night.

We have had conversations at work this week regarding children not having their glasses, we have 2 boys who need to wear them, one who should wear a patch with his who hasn't had them either since the start of term and one poor little chap who can hardly see at all who hasn't had them since November despite us constantly asking him dad for them. We were considering whether this could be construed as neglect and should be noted as such?

flip flops and crocs that they can't run in....dungarees.......being coughed at....right in my face! lol oh and dressing up but by the looks of it everyone hates that....green runny nose trails on coats and sleeves.... i could go on but fear i might come across as a grumpy old bag! x

• Like 1

Oooohhh I like this!!

But I dislike...

Poppered vests on a child who is potty training - ridiculous!

Fussy parents and those who say "do you want to go to pre-school today?" (what ARE you going to say if they say no!)

Children who arrive at pre-school at 8.45 eating a packet of Quavers - or rather I dislike parents who allow this!

Parents who think it is ok for their child to bring in 2 baby annabel dolls and a carrycot, but no-one else is allowed to touch them

Parents who don't apologise when they arrive to collect 20 minutes after we should close

White clothes and clothes that are 'special so please don't let them paint in them'

HHHmmmm seems to be a bit of a theme.... it seems to be the parents that I dislike (even though some of them are quite nice :P )

On the plus side... I love the engagement of the children, mud kitchens, messy play, singing, hugs, watching the children have fun with something I've planned, whatching their development, successes, and I can honestly say there is nothing I don't enjoy with the children (except snot!)

Thanks for that finleysmaid ;p .....but actually some fab ideas there for outdoor instruments.....which is the best place for them :)

But if we're talking 'parent' pet hates then it's the ones who deny having received the latest news letter or form you need back, even though every one is individually named so you know everyone has had theirs ....plus all the above !

• Like 2

Yes all of the above! Wouldn't it be simpler to just take the child off them on the first day and give them back just before they start school! Then we wouldn't have any of these niggles!

• Like 3

We have had conversations at work this week regarding children not having their glasses, we have 2 boys who need to wear them, one who should wear a patch with his who hasn't had them either since the start of term and one poor little chap who can hardly see at all who hasn't had them since November despite us constantly asking him dad for them. We were considering whether this could be construed as neglect and should be noted as such?

I would say absolutely it is neglect and I would treat it very seriously.