Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Insurance?

I have decided that this year cutting insurance costs (if possible is a priority).

I usually have PSLA insurance band 5 which with membership and tax is coming in at about £900 or about £800 for the insurance alone.

Towergate have quoted me £660 - it does have a "special discount" of £110 (obviously the carrot for me to make the switch this year!) and I wouldn't divulge what the psla renewal amount was to them as I wanted them to come up with their "best offer" on a like for like quote.

I am still waiting for a quote from Dot to Dot - we had a v. interesting presentation from them fairly recently about the perils of under insurance e.g., loss of earnings cover, fidelity cover, etc.

Sadly as more and more people get v. litigous (that is so not the spelling :D ) being properly insured is soooo important.

If I move insurance cover I will also have to have a think about whether we get any real benefit from being a member of the psla too as that is also an expense that could be trimmed!

We use Morton Michel. Insurance cost under £300. We were badly flooded this year, I needed to make a claim. It took less than a week from submitting a claim to getting the cheque. Outstanding service!

That's a really good recommendation.

Has anyone ever had to claim through the Pre-School Learning Alliance?

and if so how was the experience??

well, see there's the thing......we had to make a claim under our insurance (PSLA), following burst pipes, which caused loads of damage. The insurers assessor came out and was badly under the influence, which became more apparant as the visit went on ( we only allowed him to stay because he was in rooms where there were no children). He lost his camera, and all the photos. He then went off 'sick' ( shortly after my call to the insurers to complain about him), so they didn't receive our claim apparantly.................we only knew this when they phoned us nine months later to say they assued we weren't taking the claim any further as they hadn't heard from us! So, upshot was after a very short sharp response from me.....................we got an enhanced payment, because of all the problems,but it was a pain. Probably would have been ok withanother agent involved. I know we an access free training with psla too, but i really need to try to cut some costs this year and they are quoting almost £500 with the membership.

You can still access the free funding courses, and pay for them, obviously, and they are not costly. Educare do a big range of courses. I suppose you have to balance the potential savings with the additions, but if Morton Michell is coming in at those sort of prices for like for like insurance then it seems to be a 'no brainer'!

• 3 weeks later...

So, lovely chap from Morton Michel has just phoned me..........................and was astonished at how good our quote from PSLA is!! He said they couldn't match it and theirs would be over£150 MORE. So, stick with what you know.......PSLA it is

Edited by narnia

So, lovely chap from Morton Michel has just phoned me..........................and was astonished at how good our quote from PSLA is!! He said they couldn't match it and theirs would be over£150 MORE. So, stick with what you know.......PSLA it is

I am surprised - but each quote is so different depending upon what is being insured, there are a few things I don't insure for, but have a contingency pot instead of my own!