Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Give me your thoughts!

Rea

Rea, would it make you feel better to know that my entire life I've never put a Christmas tree up at home before Christmas Eve. The one at mum and dad's is done at 3pm on Christmas Eve after we've listened to the first verse of Once in Royal David's City on the radio and toasted each other with the tipple of our choice. I'd do the same except I can't be in two places at once so do mine late morning after all the cleaning, packing and present wrapping is finished.

We have started practising Christmas songs at my choir but that feels slightly different somehow.

My tree goes up later and later and comes down sooner and sooner these days. Maybe I wont be such a party pooper when (if) grandchildren arrive on the scene. Its no fun when your children go out christmas eve and stay in bed until late :(

• Like 4

another Christmas Eve tradition around here too.. came from Dad i suppose as we had a celebration meal that day as well.. they tend to do that in Germany,

and to be honest , I would feel totally disrespectful to even consider putting anything up before Remembrance...

(never mind all the dusting and hyper children for far too long)

• Like 1

My tree goes up later and later and comes down sooner and sooner these days. Maybe I wont be such a party pooper when (if) grandchildren arrive on the scene. Its no fun when your children go out christmas eve and stay in bed until late :(

Mine seems to go up earlier and stay up later these days :o .......... and no grandchildren to blame :blink: :blink:

We (well daughter and myself) love christmas... only a tree though- not many other decorations around.

.................guess I'm alone in being happy the Christmas24 film channel has arrived then!! :D

xx

• Like 1

my daughter ( 18 this year) birthday is 23rd so we never put up tree/decs til after as don't want to take away from her birthday, i love the scandanavian traditions of special meals and giving presents on Christmas eve . After much deliberation of how to celebrate , she has decided to go to winter wonderland in London .

Hmmmm.........I thought that was called ironing :blink:

Now I quite like ironing - I don't mind housework tasks where you can actually see a difference!

At least that's the reason I tell myself that I leave it until the house looks like 3 bombs have hit before doing anything about it!

Right now, am still at school procrastinating - I'm going to set up a Fire station role play area and glue the wheels on the fire engine we made this week before I go home! Being on here is just procrastination!

What is this word 'dusting' you talk of.......... What is it?, do I need one?, will I get fed up with it quickly then?

xxxx

It's a well known distraction technique. I use it occasionally when paperwork calls.

It makes shelves look all shiny and new - quite bizarre really.

The photograph made me smile. Our tree and decorations usually go up on Christmas Eve (sometimes the very early hours of Christmas Day) however my Dad is (or rather was until he got ill) another kettle of fish altogether. His decorations - inside, as well as outside - used to go up soon after Hallowe'en (or before if he couldn't be persuaded otherwise) - and he'd have rows of those articulated singing and dancing santas on his sideboard.

Goodness knows how much electricity it cost to keep all the lights going, or how many batteries he used keeping all the dancing and singing figures going.

We all thought he was a bit of a loony, but it genuinely gave him so much pleasure. A few years ago he was struck by a virus which caused significant damage to his brain and although he's fine, he wouldn't be able to plan 'Operation Christmas Lights' at all these days. In fact, he's lost all enthusiasm and if they have a Christmas tree at all they're lucky. Given the choice, I'd quite like to drive towards his flat and see it lit up from three streets away! :1b

Ah thats such a shame HappyMaz, as it obviously gave him great joy. :mellow: Let's hope others efforts give him back a little of this. :1b

My neighbour always puts her decs up by at least the end of November. For us normally two weeks before, but are straight down after boxing day.

I just love the whole family thing, as well as having a 6 month old beautiful granddaughter this year to share it with. [ Can you tell i can't wait]. :1b

Hmmmm.........I thought that was called ironing :blink:

Ironing = the evil task that has to be done if you fail to reach the tumble dryer at the optimum time to hang or fold garments while they're crease-free :ph34r:

Nona