Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Buy Coffee?

Hello all,

Not a very important post but would appreciate any comments.

Just wondering if any pre-school settings provide coffee for staff etc?

We as a setting have had our coffee, tea and sugar brought for many years and now it looks it may be stopped and asking the team to purchase their own coffee because the pre-school puchase out of the weekly bugdet 'Gold Blend' coffee.

Coffee goes on the list about every 2 weeks and there are 9 employee so the pre-school spends around £7 every two week for coffee and sugar and we hardly ever buy tea bags as only 2 of the ladies drink tea and its last quite a while. We dont have drinks like hot chocolate.

Before I attend the next committee meeting would like to hear what other settings do, do you buy your own? or do you contribute towards it??

Any feedback would be fab.

My boss always provided tea / coffee / squash. If we wanted specific things like herbal teas or particular squash we would bring it in ourselves.

I think it is nice for the setting to provide the staff the means of having a hot drink but staff should be willing to supply their own if they have particular dietary or taste requirements.

• Like 1

Well , we are a term time only pre-school and we just all take a turn to bring in whatever runs out . I would love to be able to supply them but its a luxuary I cant afford unfotunately .

we too supplied tea and coffee, and sugar, staff supplied and special drinks like herb teas, hot chocolate etc.. a small price to pay to keep the staff happy and feel valued.. particularly as we all know if they were paid for all the hours worked it would cost a lot more than a jar of coffee once every 2 weeks.. in reality it is the cost of 1 staff member for half hour a week.. I am sure they all do more than that when put the extra time worked togehter...

I would perhaps ask if they are no longer providing the refreshments, how about paying for all the extra hours worked instead so we can afford to buy out own..

• Like 3

We as a setting have had our coffee, tea and sugar brought for many years and now it looks it may be stopped and asking the team to purchase their own coffee because the pre-school puchase out of the weekly bugdet 'Gold Blend' coffee.

Coffee goes on the list about every 2 weeks and there are 9 employee so the pre-school spends around £7 every two week for coffee and sugar and we hardly ever buy tea bags as only 2 of the ladies drink tea and its last quite a while. We dont have drinks like hot chocolate.

hmm............ are from my setting? - you could be discussing us :D ::1a :D ::1a :D

Our is paid for, although if anyone wants fancy stuff they usually bring their own in.

I will say though- that as a concession to the budget....we, the staff have now substituted necafe Gold Blend for tesco's own (quite nice!) - but on no account go for M & Ss version- as that is just foul!!!! :o :o :o

Whaaat? we don't have anything!! LOl

We're a preschool and only get a 20 min lunch break all day.. can't find time to have a drink lol!

Or are we on about for meetings and such.. still then the most we get is tap water lol!

Whaaat? we don't have anything!! LOl

We're a preschool and only get a 20 min lunch break all day.. can't find time to have a drink lol!

Or are we on about for meetings and such.. still then the most we get is tap water lol!

my member fo staff on snack duty makes us one and one of the luch staff....so we normally get 3 a day!!!

yes we buy it for the staff and for our visitors etc...i would have a mutiny on my hands if i asked for payment, unless i could offer them a big payrise in return!!!

• Like 2

Ahhh thats a good idea :)

I'd assume you'd go and drink it in the kitchen? :)

OMG not the great coffee debate again! (look in past posts you'll see what i mean!) we drink them in the playroom but they are kept out of the way of the children and are in sealed containers!

We are a small committee run setting. The setting buys tea, coffee and sugar at the same time we buy childrens snack. Staff buy anything else they want like squash, herbal tea, hot chocolate etc. It has always been like this ....ocasionally we run out before our next Asda order and staff bring in tea/coffee from home.

no way should you have to buy your own , it really comes to something if committee cannot afford to buy their staff beverages, i agree if its fancy or out of the ordinary.

Aldi is fab and i do my own shopping there and save a fortune ( I used to be a brand snob) but not anymore have shopped there for years now and the products are great. i saved our preschool lots on the weekly snack shop and now we have sed Scotts milk , they supply us free bread and fruit each week so we hardly spend anything on snack .

Stand firm - campaign banner for you to use 'Tea for free and coffee too, its the least we deserve for all we do !!'

• Like 3

Stand firm - campaign banner for you to use 'Tea for free and coffee too, its the least we deserve for all we do !!'

I'm feeling militant - so here's my banner like Inge said 'Tea for free and coffee too, or pay us for all the hours we do!

I've had enough of subsidizing parents!!! How very dare they!!! ;) With tongue in cheek but at the same time deadly serious!

• Like 5

Its my group and i supply all coffee teas etc. I do always buy good quality ie PG. We also have a filter coffee machine with yummy coffee first thing in the morning. I am a pack away sessional and theres nothing better than putting on coffee at 7am for when I set up and then my deputy arrives, the smell is mmmmm. I then put it on again at 8.30 for the next lot of staff its well worth every penny as are they! ( we use coffee mate as well for the added creamy taste)

I can't raise to huge wages and feel that if I can offer this it goes towards making their working day fun and thats before the children arrive :wub:

Sue

Edited by Bigsue
  • Like 2