Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsf Software Upgrade

Steve

What a lovely thing to say, thank you Spiral!

"First of all I'd like to thank..."

me me me.....I know I didn't do anything because I was out of the office yesterday leaving you and Matt in peace and quiet to do the upgrade but it must be great to be thanked in an Oscar acceptance speach :D ::1a :D

Woohoo - very 'posh' - wonder if I can find my way around :unsure: xD

Oh - where's my avatar? :unsure:

Oh thank you very much to which ever of the 'clever people' for finding my avatar :1b hmmm....she's not moving? :(xD :lol: xD

Edited by sunnyday

Not even going to attempt a cut and paste a quote!

I wrote a long reply about the things I don't like and got a spinning uploading icon-gave up in the end and was late for work.

I don't like the spread out layout.

The amount of scrolling required makes me feel queezy. I can only view 2 post boxes at a time-with quotes and photo's its only one.Annoying if you want to get the point of a thread and not read chit chat or endless quotes.

The post reply box on the bottom of each page -thats not the end of the thread so you may reply and miss something important said later on and you reply is misplaced or out of context

The teeny tiny page buttons and text for icons yet the posting boxes are so big and most of what you view is blank background-a lot of wasted space

I'm accessing now on a PC with keyboard and mouse so easier to navigate but with the laptop and finger it was so hard.

One of the problems is there are so many sections and subsections on the forum main page.Could the main headings be on the main index page with drop down access to sub sections to condense things?

I too mainly used the new post icon instead of wadding through the index

I appreciate that a lot of work is involved with building a forum. Yes I have run a forum and built and designed my own website. I could say I don't mean to criticise but I am aware thats how it reads-very critical and mean spirited but you asked for views and these are mine. I used to love nipping on morning and night for a relaxing read a bit like picking up a magazine with more meaning but I'm not finding it pleasing to view. :(

When I logged on I wrote somewhere that I couldn't find the new content button. I've now found the new content button and ended up here but now realised I don't know where I wrote my help I'm lost and can't find anything message... so if anyone finds a random message it belongs to me :P

• Like 1

suebear - if you look at the very top of the page there's your name! If you click it a drop down menu arrives and one of the options is 'my profile' you should be able to update your avatar in there

Oh that's very interesting Gezabel. And unexpected (as far as I'm concerned)...

Has anyone else been in receipt of old mail? It's a bit like those stories of 30 year old postcards being delivered by the Royal Mail - the forum software was given a good old shake-up a couple of days ago, so it's quite possible it's found some bags of stuff in dusty rooms and decided to sort them out.

• Like 2

Oh and thank you Steve for the 'return to top of page' arrow at the very bottom. I'm impressed you managed it so quickly!

I've never noticed that before! Looks like a very useful re-instatement though.

I haven't had old mail but I do seem to get an email evetrytime someone replies to a thread I've posted in, rather than one email and then no more until I've checked the thread again. I've checked my notifications settings but maybe I've done it wrong :rolleyes:

The new notifications page is quite lengthy but very flexible Holly, might be worth checking you've checked all the correct boxes. You can of course elect to have the topic notifications arrive simply in the notifications function at the top of the page, which is quite intuitive.

For anyone who hasn't found their notification options page, you can find it here.

hello steve...i'm quite liking the new layout...need to get used to it a bit. seem to be having a problem with replies though...if i take too much time replying ( and i often do)the reply gets 'stuck' and just starts saving and doesn't stop...so that i have to copy and paste or lose the reply...any thoughts??

Hi Catma -

Yes I see what you mean. We left the rest of the site with the old appearance, along with the old menu (down the left hand side) so that we didn't completely bewilder the more occasional visitors to the FSF. Although the 'Forum Index' menu item points back to the new forum area of the site I can see that it's less obvious than it used to be.

We will be changing the design of the rest of the site as well, so that eventually it will all operate from the same menu, but thought a two stage process would help make this first jump less of a shock! :1b

finleysmaid is having the same problem i had so glad its not just me. The comment catja made is also in line with what i was saying. Both received a comment back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)