Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsf Software Upgrade

Steve

So we're going to need to have a think about what the new symbols mean on the listing of current topics. The old one with red circle 'hot topic', little circle on big circle 'I've posted in this thread', paperclip for 'there's an attachment in this thread' etc.

So some of the threads have what looks like a tiny black luggage label - what does that one mean?

I'm not finding the 'search' option as useful as before. For example, I want to find old topics (or articles) regarding 'promoting positive behaviour' - with the old system, I used to just type appropriate words in the search option, click on 'specific words only' box and hey presto old topics would appear that included either of those words so I could quickly find relevant posts. When I enter ' behaviour management' into search now, nothing comes up.

I'm probably doing something wrong as I'm not very computer savvy.

Any help / suggestions appreciated - thanks.

Liberty

So we're going to need to have a think about what the new symbols mean on the listing of current topics. The old one with red circle 'hot topic', little circle on big circle 'I've posted in this thread', paperclip for 'there's an attachment in this thread' etc.

So some of the threads have what looks like a tiny black luggage label - what does that one mean?

think it is just that, a tag, when you hover over the words after it , 'tagged with more content on xxxx ' comes up.. but at the moment when you click on it you get a blank page other than the original post.. wonder if it will be like a quick search where you click on it and get a list of topics tagged with the same sort of content..

As Inge says, there's a new feature for tagging content, which we haven't really started to make use of yet Cait. At the moment I've left it open for people to create their own tags, and where people have done so you can see the tag label. You can add tags to a topic when you create them (under the topic title). However, when I have a moment I'll probably set the FSF up with pre-defined tags which people can get me to add to, as it's quite easy to add things in hear thinking it's a sub-title for the topic.

Liberty, if you think of that initial search box as a 'quick search' where you just want to type in a word or words and look in all forums that is the best way to think of it. If you want to do something more advanced all your old search options are available as well. Just click on the magnifying glass with the search box empty and you'll be taken to a screen where you can filter by 'specific words only' and all the other old options, plus quite a few new ones (you're not restricted to the forum area, for example, you can include or exclude resource library items, blogs and so on. (Also tags as described above, which may become more useful as time goes on!)

Is it just me, but I am no longer able to view 'new content'?

I could do it on the first day of the change over - but now the only way to see new posts is to go to the old syle home page and view the last 20 posts.

top right.... new content... then there are settings so you can have them since last visit, etc could be you need to change the settings, works fine for me,

Edited by Inge

Which options have you got ticked down the left hand side of the view new content screen? Are you able to post a screenshot? (in Windows it's usually alt > printscreen, then paste into Word or something similar).

Ohwww....

I've fiddled under the 'other' section and it seems to have solved the problem!!! - somehow I gotten onto something like 'view certain topics'

(and i've got three pages to catch up on) :D ::1a :D ::1a .....happy again

• Like 1

Just a thought, Steve.

Is there any way I can see 'at a glance' whether there are any attached files with a post? These files are often very useful - it used to be very clear if there were any attached files.

Apologies if you have already been asked this question!

Thanks!

Hi DevonMaid -

Yes of course. I hadn't actually noticed that it had disappeared in all the excitement since the upgrade, but I've put it back. In the graphic you can see one encircled in red.

icon2.png

Oh that's very odd Cait. What browser and version number are you using? I've just checked in FF, IE, Safari and Chrome and it shows up for me.

Could you post a screenshot of this page so I can see your view - it might help me work out what's going on.

Ah that's the search page Cait. The attachment icon only shows up on the topic pages. Can you have a quick look at the one I linked to above and check you can see the icon against the 'mother's day cards' post?

Hi DevonMaid -

Yes of course. I hadn't actually noticed that it had disappeared in all the excitement since the upgrade, but I've put it back. In the graphic you can see one encircled in red.

Many thanks!! :rolleyes:

Ah that's the search page Cait. The attachment icon only shows up on the topic pages. Can you have a quick look at the one I linked to above and check you can see the icon against the 'mother's day cards' post?

Yes, I have them there, so is that the only place they are? Is it possible to have them on the search page?

Hi DevonMaid -

Doesn't appear to be there, Steve :(

Hi Rea - if you mean eyfs.info (the homepage) yes, it should for the moment. I thought I'd do this in two stages to avoid too much trauma. But I will be re-designing the rest of the site and bringing it into line with the layout you can see here. Hopefully quite soon!

I keep meaning to do a little tour of the new areas and features of the forum upgrade, but am still a little caught up in the aftermath of last Wednesday's change. So here's a little tip for any of you who haven't found it already:

If you find the forum index page a little crowded you can do a couple of things to re-arrange things, one of which is to disappear the sidebar. Just move your cursor up to the top right of the sidebar and you'll find a little 'x' becoming visible. Click that and the sidebar will slide out of view, leaving the whole width of the page to the forum listings. Do the opposite and the sidebar re-appears.

_sidebar-20120306-212129.jpg

Once upon time I clicked on the little crosses on the left hand side of my blog and I never got things back so , thanks for the info but I for one will not be clicking anything :o:D

Edited by Rea

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)