Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No mention of nurseries in the PM’s statement then

anju

15 hours ago, sunnyday said:

It's my deputy anju - I need her to work as I am unable to (husband shielding) - if she won't work then we can't open, not to come over all 'drama llama' here but I think that will be the 'end' of my setting so wages won't come into it...

God, that's so awful :( 

I have just sent a letter for parents to my Deputy to see what she thinks of it (she's a good sounding board)

I've spoken to our parish priest and he is agreeable to us opening

Sent the full guidance to staff yesterday and asked them to let me have their thoughts/ideas. Couple have come back with some surprisingly good ideas, one is moaning about no masks (but that isnt going to happen) One has said she's more than happy to come back, one has said 'why are you sending us this- its by no means definite that we will open June- just a maybe'  (I give up!) one said- I have received your email and read the guidance-  and I'm still waiting to hear from 3!! Did hear from our local school asking me to verify that two of my staff will be working as they've asked for their children to be in school. 

So I have asked parents who is willing to come back. Told them that-

we will open mornings only (to start with) for just 3 hours (our morning sessions are normally 3.5)  to start

open for those going to school in sept only - to start 

no lunches - to start

no parents - children handed over at door- if your child is not willing to come in- keep them home

no shared care - us or them

That's as far as I have got with planning- loads of other bits but not for parents. I do wonder if I've given too much info- I said our aim was to try and follow guidelines, keeping children in a small group (the same ones as far as possible) and they probably wouldnt be with heir friends or able to choose who to be with. I also said please be aware that just as our lives have now changed I didnt think preschool would ever be the same as we were. 

So I will wait and see- I'm not even sure if trying to keep the children in a 'bubble' will work- not all of our children do the same days and not all staff work every session. I did add that any decision we make will be conditional and subject to change with little or no notice.

I think we have 26 going to school- so I'm going to see if it is practical to keep them in separate groups. 

Need to do a risk assessment

proper plan for how we are going to run the sessions

a cleaning rota (just so we dont all clean the same thing 10 times throughout the morning and miss something else)

maybe some guidelines for staff on how to approach and what messages we send to  children- just so we are all singing from the same song sheet - I dont want us to be giving out the wrong messages to children or making them feel worried or anxious they are doing the wrong thing- but equally I think staff have to feel comfortable.

However the thought of trying to have a meeting (virtual or otherwise) to discuss this feels me with horror- so I think I may do a 1:1 quickly to get some thoughts and then decide. Being really mean here but apart from one staff and my deputy- I feel the rest have been so unsupportive that they dont deserve any consultation!  But like many of you I have a banging headache today and am back to feeling stressed again. 

Maybe they will change their minds about us opening in June

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lynned55 said:

I have just sent a letter for parents to my Deputy to see what she thinks of it (she's a good sounding board)

I've spoken to our parish priest and he is agreeable to us opening

Sent the full guidance to staff yesterday and asked them to let me have their thoughts/ideas. Couple have come back with some surprisingly good ideas, one is moaning about no masks (but that isnt going to happen) One has said she's more than happy to come back, one has said 'why are you sending us this- its by no means definite that we will open June- just a maybe'  (I give up!) one said- I have received your email and read the guidance-  and I'm still waiting to hear from 3!! Did hear from our local school asking me to verify that two of my staff will be working as they've asked for their children to be in school. 

So I have asked parents who is willing to come back. Told them that-

we will open mornings only (to start with) for just 3 hours (our morning sessions are normally 3.5)  to start

open for those going to school in sept only - to start 

no lunches - to start

no parents - children handed over at door- if your child is not willing to come in- keep them home

no shared care - us or them

That's as far as I have got with planning- loads of other bits but not for parents. I do wonder if I've given too much info- I said our aim was to try and follow guidelines, keeping children in a small group (the same ones as far as possible) and they probably wouldnt be with heir friends or able to choose who to be with. I also said please be aware that just as our lives have now changed I didnt think preschool would ever be the same as we were. 

So I will wait and see- I'm not even sure if trying to keep the children in a 'bubble' will work- not all of our children do the same days and not all staff work every session. I did add that any decision we make will be conditional and subject to change with little or no notice.

I think we have 26 going to school- so I'm going to see if it is practical to keep them in separate groups. 

Need to do a risk assessment

proper plan for how we are going to run the sessions

a cleaning rota (just so we dont all clean the same thing 10 times throughout the morning and miss something else)

maybe some guidelines for staff on how to approach and what messages we send to  children- just so we are all singing from the same song sheet - I dont want us to be giving out the wrong messages to children or making them feel worried or anxious they are doing the wrong thing- but equally I think staff have to feel comfortable.

However the thought of trying to have a meeting (virtual or otherwise) to discuss this feels me with horror- so I think I may do a 1:1 quickly to get some thoughts and then decide. Being really mean here but apart from one staff and my deputy- I feel the rest have been so unsupportive that they dont deserve any consultation!  But like many of you I have a banging headache today and am back to feeling stressed again. 

Maybe they will change their minds about us opening in June

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Sounds like we're thinking along the same lines although give it another half an hour and I'll be all for staying closed!

• Haha 2

So far I have 8 no I won’t bring my children back, 4 yes I will, 2 undecided and one not heard back from. So my question is where do I stand in saying I am not opening and putting staff and children at risk for 4 children?

22 minutes ago, zigzag said:

So far I have 8 no I won’t bring my children back, 4 yes I will, 2 undecided and one not heard back from. So my question is where do I stand in saying I am not opening and putting staff and children at risk for 4 children?

I think you use your own Heath and Safety regulations.  If you don't deem your setting a safe place for children at the moment, then that's it?  Hopefully? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I suspect Zigzag that once you have opened parents will start flocking back when they see how well you have handled it. This is what has happened in Denmark

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I suspect Zigzag that once you have opened parents will start flocking back when they see how well you have handled it. This is what has happened in Denmark

I agree,   our problem is - which is actually a sort of nice problem in an ironic way - all our feedback it that they have total  trust us to do the right thing.:/

• Like 1

All the information that everyone is putting on here is so helpful.  Nice to see that we are all in the same boat and have the same thinking about the nightmare ahead of us opening up on June 1.  With this in mind in know messy play is out does this also include water play?  We know what we cant do with the children just trying to work out what we can do.  Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

• Like 2

When we closed on 27th March I felt like my heart broke.  But this is even worse.  I am trying to balance the children/staff thing like everyone else but can't bear the thought of what our lovely nursery will be like when (if) we return.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

20 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Just a quick question please - are all of your staff members 'happy' to work from June 1st?

Some have said yes straight away.  Some are worried that it's too soon.  Some are very happy at home on 80% pay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Castleton2017RJ said:

All the information that everyone is putting on here is so helpful.  Nice to see that we are all in the same boat and have the same thinking about the nightmare ahead of us opening up on June 1.  With this in mind in know messy play is out does this also include water play?  We know what we cant do with the children just trying to work out what we can do.  Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

I am currently (!) saying yes to water sand and mud play. I have looked at the risks...water we will add some sort of detergent to makeit bubbly (but also stop transfer) and will change more often . Sand is an unlikely source of infection you would need for someone to sneeze or cough on it and for you to touch those grains and transfer to your mouth....i don't think this is likely similarly for mud all of these are outdoors so the risk is minimised further.

In fact most things outdoors i suspect are low risk as the germs tend to disappear quite quickly i think.....but who knows!!?!?!?!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I am currently (!) saying yes to water sand and mud play. I have looked at the risks...water we will add some sort of detergent to makeit bubbly (but also stop transfer) and will change more often . Sand is an unlikely source of infection you would need for someone to sneeze or cough on it and for you to touch those grains and transfer to your mouth....i don't think this is likely similarly for mud all of these are outdoors so the risk is minimised further.

In fact most things outdoors i suspect are low risk as the germs tend to disappear quite quickly i think.....but who knows!!?!?!?!

Like you fm I’m thinking bubbly water play isn’t going to be an issue and can be offered in separate bowls or something and Denmark are using sand as the photo in the their article on being open there is a group sat in the sand pit.

dough maybe not as some are inclined to put that in their mouths.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Yes ive also said no to dough more difficult with coughs and sneezes (although the salt content may be enough to kill the germs if i used the traditional method for making)

what is the tradition method, and if it turns out that's what I'm doing what it the modern method please ?:)

4 hours ago, lynned55 said:

Well - I am flabbergasted- we have just been sent a 7 page letter from our LEA- mainly quoting guidance at us and telling us how important transition documents will be! Really

Good grief!! 

2 minutes ago, louby loo said:

what is the tradition method, and if it turns out that's what I'm doing what it the modern method please ?:)

High salt content and cooked would be what i would class as the traditional recipe!! mine is low salt and just with boiling water (bigger batch)

Our local authority has confirmed that under the current government guidelines, the early years funding will not be reclaimed if we chose not to re-open, or if we only open for a limited number of children each day!  Thought this may be useful information for you all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

I’m going to tell mine they have to say a definite yes (to my message asking whether they want to send them back on 1st June) by the weekend and if not, I won’t be including them in our numbers (as I need to plan staffing, possibly splitting the week into two groups etc) and can’t keep changing that. I’m going to say (unless I’m not allowed) that if they miss the deadline they may be able to send them in when the next phase starts (4th July) but not before

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NBBubbles said:

Our local authority has confirmed that under the current government guidelines, the early years funding will not be reclaimed if we chose not to re-open, or if we only open for a limited number of children each day!  Thought this may be useful information for you all!

🎉🎉

23 minutes ago, NBBubbles said:

xDxDxDxD I'm sure I heard similar before >:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, anju said:

I’m going to tell mine they have to say a definite yes (to my message asking whether they want to send them back on 1st June) by the weekend and if not, I won’t be including them in our numbers (as I need to plan staffing, possibly splitting the week into two groups etc) and can’t keep changing that. I’m going to say (unless I’m not allowed) that if they miss the deadline they may be able to send them in when the next phase starts (4th July) but not before

Ohwww edgy and out there... I like that.

• Like 1

If I can open (still waiting for a reply from town clerk) we will start back possibly the second week. I'm not prepared for the last minute will they/won't they business!

We will open for school leavers only, if it goes well we may then consider opening to others. sessions will 1.5-2 hours only.

Two days a week.  (possibly adding a third day depending)                 Will will finish mid July. so around 5 weeks max.         

I have a floor plan that will be sent to parents, as I'm pretty sure that think it's going to be just like before we closed, so they may be in for a shock. O.o

Basically we have 6. pig pens  Zones, three will be in use at anyone time, 3 being cleaned before children swap around in their bubble  groups.  We only have a very tiny outside area that we know we can use and that will be included as a zone.    One circuit, snack and home.

Feel calmer now we have a plan.  Its been discussed with deputy, and we have an socially distanced staff meeting Monday for full staff input.

I will not think about it anymore.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, louby loo said:

If I can open (still waiting for a reply from town clerk) we will start back possibly the second week. I'm not prepared for the last minute will they/won't they business!

We will open for school leavers only, if it goes well we may then consider opening to others. sessions will 1.5-2 hours only.

Two days a week.  (possibly adding a third day depending)                 Will will finish mid July. so around 5 weeks max.         

I have a floor plan that will be sent to parents, as I'm pretty sure that think it's going to be just like before we closed, so they may be in for a shock. O.o

Basically we have 6. pig pens  Zones, three will be in use at anyone time, 3 being cleaned before children swap around in their bubble  groups.  We only have a very tiny outside area that we know we can use and that will be included as a zone.    One circuit, snack and home.

Feel calmer now we have a plan.  Its been discussed with deputy, and we have an socially distanced staff meeting Monday for full staff input.

I will not think about it anymore.

Great plan ❤️

1 hour ago, NBBubbles said:

Fantastic news - thank you for sharing