Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No mention of nurseries in the PM’s statement then

anju

22 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

that was my thinking until I read the danish article on how they're doing it and one of the pics is a group of children in what they call 'the sandbox' ? 

I was thinking we could/should only have out what can be cleaned easily but that would be hard plastic toys I guess. Plus water with detergent of some sort in it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I think that is exactly where I am at the moment.

Spoke to my eldest son this morning his advice was "you have got to do what's right for you mum, not for staff, not for children, not for families, but for you personally"

So true.  You and I are around the same age I think. My thinking is why am I stressing myself?  We can afford for me to finish now, and I am the youngest of our friendship group, however I like (like'd?) work, and the financial independence it brings

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, anju said:

I was thinking we could/should only have out what can be cleaned easily but that would be hard plastic toys I guess. Plus water with detergent of some sort in it.

I'm sure when I very started working in early years, one then senior staff member used to put Milton in the play water O.o. Not sure if this was a done thing- or her thinking.

Tried googling it- but must have gone off on a tangent as I never did find an answer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

We were definitely told to close by our LEA unless you have vunerable or keyworker children who CANNOT be looked after at home. The message apeared to be that we would be open from the 1st June. We need clarification before we jump in. If you take children back and put your staff at risk will your insurance company cover you for their death in service might be a question to ask before we all start unfurloughing staff?

Goodness I wasn't suggesting we all unfurlough and jump back in., or that I would put anyone at risk.  Just that we (in my case) were never told to close, so I'm guessing we won't be told when to open.  My LA send out a survey each week asking if we're open or closed but have never given any direction or advice on the situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I'm sure when I very started working in early years, one then senior staff member used to put Milton in the play water O.o. Not sure if this was a done thing- or her thinking.

Tried googling it- but must have gone off on a tangent as I never did find an answer.

Ooh that's an interesting idea! I wonder how much you should put. I will have a google...

21 minutes ago, louby loo said:

So true.  You and I are around the same age I think. My thinking is why am I stressing myself?  We can afford for me to finish now, and I am the youngest of our friendship group, however I like (like'd?) work, and the financial independence it brings

I think that I am probably a bit older than you louby

I have just broken the news to my deputy that I will not be able to work from 1st June (as you know, Mr S is on the shielded list, I will not/cannot do anything to jeopardise his health/life) - the ball is in her court now, will wait to see what her reply is....

On that note - I think I should take my negativity away from this forum - I don't enjoy being such a 'mis' and certainly don't want to bring anyone else down

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

On that note - I think I should take my negativity away from this forum - I don't enjoy being such a 'mis' and certainly don't want to bring anyone else down

Don’t you dare step away from the forum! I think it’s safe to say we are all feeling in the same boat at the moment, and let’s face it at the moment we have nothing concrete to work to, once we do I am sure we will all pull together to help each other try and sort out a plan.  Sending you love Sunnyday xxx

• Like 1

This seems to be all it says on early years

• A phased return for early years settings and schools. Schools should prepare to begin to open for more children from 1 June. The Government expects children to be able to return to early years settings, and for Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 to be back in school in smaller sizes, from this point. This aims to ensure that the youngest children, and those preparing for the transition to secondary school, have maximum time with their teachers. Secondary schools and further education colleges should also prepare to begin some face to face contact with Year 10 and 12 pupils who have key exams next year, in support of their continued remote, home learning. The Government’s ambition is for all primary school children to return to school before the summer for a month if feasible, though this will be kept under review. The Department of Education will engage closely with schools and early years providers to develop further detail and guidance on how schools should facilitate this.

I really, really feel for you all.  It's a decision I would hate to have to make, but like many of you, I'd be feeling as if I was being backed into a corner to make a decision I really didn't want to make, either way.   

I really don't see how it's going to work at all.  Could/would children wear the see through masks?    I really don't know at all.  Like Louby said, how can we be expected to care for strangers children, whose backstory for isolation we don't know, and not be able to see our own grandchildren?   Definitely not be able to see them once preschools are opened up and the potential for viral risk is increased.   

Could parents remain briefly whilst a child's temperature is taken, on arrival, and take the child away again if temp is up?   (The problem with that is that resting temps can vary considerably.  As a child, my resting temp was only 34.5, that was my normal.   I had convulsions a couple of times when it went just above 37.5, and my 'normal' was written it big red capitals on my notes after that.   So a child could present with a temp of 37 and be deemed okay, when in fact, that's really high for them (if you catch my drift).).  

Big hugs to all of you - I really hope your Counties come up trumps and give you some solid support, or at least take the decision, blame and consequences out of your hands.    

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

I have just broken the news to my deputy that I will not be able to work from 1st June (as you know, Mr S is on the shielded list, I will not/cannot do anything to jeopardise his health/life) - the ball is in her court now, will wait to see what her reply is....

I don't read it as negativity at all.  It's honesty, and at the end of the day, you need to shield Mr Sunnyday.    I would most likely be making the personal decision not to return, and leave it to deputy if I was in your position.  Nothing is worth the risk.

sending huge virtual hugs to you my bouncy friend.  Xxxx 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Not negative- just making sensible decisions.  I am currently (literally!) considering my options. I may offer to hand over to my deputy- and take on a 'sleeping role'.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Cait said:

I really, really feel for you all.  It's a decision I would hate to have to make, but like many of you, I'd be feeling as if I was being backed into a corner to make a decision I really didn't want to make, either way.   

I really don't see how it's going to work at all.  Could/would children wear the see through masks?    I really don't know at all.  Like Louby said, how can we be expected to care for strangers children, whose backstory for isolation we don't know, and not be able to see our own grandchildren?   Definitely not be able to see them once preschools are opened up and the potential for viral risk is increased.   

Could parents remain briefly whilst a child's temperature is taken, on arrival, and take the child away again if temp is up?   (The problem with that is that resting temps can vary considerably.  As a child, my resting temp was only 34.5, that was my normal.   I had convulsions a couple of times when it went just above 37.5, and my 'normal' was written it big red capitals on my notes after that.   So a child could present with a temp of 37 and be deemed okay, when in fact, that's really high for them (if you catch my drift).).  

Big hugs to all of you - I really hope your Counties come up trumps and give you some solid support, or at least take the decision, blame and consequences out of your hands.    

I’ve got that on my list about taking their temperature on arrival but I know some of my parents would dose them with calpol before coming in (we can sometimes smell it on their breath :/ ). 
I don’t think masks are an option because of the difficulties in communicating, reassuring etc. But then people are vulnerable without them. And unless I can get enough disposable gloves for changing and dealing with accidents then I don’t see how we can open anyway . It’s all quite difficult. 

It will be interesting to see how the parents react ...i suspect many may not send their little ones in for the rest of term, 

We are all in different circumstances and have differing issues with this. We will all get through it. Early years are good at sorting out problems :)

We just have to work our way through the confusing mess that is currently there. Our Lea's are not our bosses this may be the point where we all rebel a bit more......:ph34r: This is where this forum is fantastic we can all support each other and no-one is alone....we can do this !!!B|

(ok rallying call over....i may have overdosed on the sugar this morning!!!O.o)

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

(ok rallying call over....i may have overdosed on the sugar this morning!!!O.o)

Arhhh... this is where I've gone wrong! Yesterday I used the last of my sugar making dandelion honey.. it was going well until I got distracted left the mixture bubbling away on high - come back to a toffee like substance.  Not sugar fixes in this house at the mo.

Just now, louby loo said:

Arhhh... this is where I've gone wrong! Yesterday I used the last of my sugar making dandelion honey.. it was going well until I got distracted left the mixture bubbling away on high - come back to a toffee like substance.  Not sugar fixes in this house at the mo.

OOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  suppose you could suck on a bit of dandelion toffee???!!!??

• Haha 1

Sorry been a bit distant recently but could not run away from this.

Of all the forums I think this one is the most optimistic and more my scene.

Good to hear most of us feel that masks are not what we want but it will be staff choice.  

Gloves - I gave most of my stock to local NHS trust when we sort of closed because I knew even with the few possible Key Worker children we had registered we would not use them.  I have kept back one box - just in case!

For me it will be two pronged  survey 1) finding out how many children want a place and 2) how many staff I have.        Only then can I work out what to do next.

I am also concerned that some parents will not be able to pay fees, either being furloughed or not being paid whilst being home, so need to give them some grace when paying fees.  Anyone got any ideas on this?  I will not exclude families who need us just because they do not have the money now.

We have been open, I have had one nursery child for 5 hours one day a week.  I have had 2 children for breakfast club some days and between 3 -5 children for afterschool some days.  We did not close for the holidays.  These children have been at school where a 2 metre social distance has been kept and that has not been a problem to them but I cannot see it working for nursery children nor for more than 10 children in the wrap around care.  I can only think that I make parents aware and it is then their decision to send their child or not.

Sadly this virus is not going to go away just yet and we will have to wait a while for immunisation vaccine so we are going to have to find a way of making some very difficult decisions which may affect our and our staff's health.  Not to mention children and parents.

Sunny I did not get any "mis" from you at all.  You have been an amazing inspiration to us all for years, please shield Mr S but we need your advice.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, LKeyteach said:

Sunny I did not get any "mis" from you at all.  You have been an amazing inspiration to us all for years, please shield Mr S but we need your advice.

Hear hear!!!   

• Like 1