Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where to start?!

thumperrabbit

So after awhile of soul searching and inside knowing what the right thing to do is I've finally handed in my resignation as manager of a committee run pre-school.

So where do I start when training someone up?!! So much to show not sure what my plan of attached should be!

Ideas welcome :1b

• Like 1

So after awhile of soul searching and inside knowing what the right thing to do is I've finally handed in my resignation as manager of a committee run pre-school.

So where do I start when training someone up?!! So much to show not sure what my plan of attached should be!

Oh no! You are one the old stock! :o

I know where you're coming from though - every working morning this same thought crosses my mind too :(

• Like 1

Im sorry to hear that thumperrabbit, although I am a great believer in knowing when we have made the right decision especially when its a tough one!

I suppose it depends on what your committee are going to do? Are they going to recruit from within (is there anyone suitable?) or advertise more widely to get someone new in?

When I resigned, the deputy was moved up but she hadnt long been qualified. I worked a really long notice while she followed me, watched and slowly took the reins.

Hope you feel relieved now you've taken this step, it's not easy but like Mundia said, we know when we've reached that point. Pastures new ?

• Like 1

Im sorry to hear that thumperrabbit, although I am a great believer in knowing when we have made the right decision especially when its a tough one!

I suppose it depends on what your committee are going to do? Are they going to recruit from within (is there anyone suitable?) or advertise more widely to get someone new in?

We are lucky that a member of staff has stepped up so in lots of ways it's easier as it's not someone new to whole routine etc but it is still a mamoth task!

I will be there until the end of the academic year.

Well done for identifying a victim successor !

I would imagine that they already know most of the education part. Make sure they are aware of statutory guidance etc Are you the safeguarding designated person...do they need training in anything like that or first aid etc before you go?

I don't know how your business side runs,,,do you do all the paperwork or do the trustees do it? Does your new manager know how to do the returns to county?

I could go on im sure but you've probably identified most of these things already ...she'll have her own ideas and will want to change a few things so that she 'owns' the job, I sometimes think the most difficult things is trying not to say well THAT won't work!

Good luck ...had any thought as to what you are going to do?

• Like 1

I would keep a diary for a week - of everything. Then you won't forget the little, yet so important, things that you do. You could then delegate some parts to her so that she can do them with you there to support and ask. Safeguarding is always top of my list - have a look at the 'safeguarding for new managers' articles I have written in the 'articles' section of the FSF.

• Like 1

Well done for identifying a victim successor !

I would imagine that they already know most of the education part. Make sure they are aware of statutory guidance etc Are you the safeguarding designated person...do they need training in anything like that or first aid etc before you go?

I don't know how your business side runs,,,do you do all the paperwork or do the trustees do it? Does your new manager know how to do the returns to county?

I could go on im sure but you've probably identified most of these things already ...she'll have her own ideas and will want to change a few things so that she 'owns' the job, I sometimes think the most difficult things is trying not to say well THAT won't work!

Good luck ...had any thought as to what you are going to do?

I do everything except the Treasurer role, think that's the problem so many things to do not sure where to start :wacko: :P

No I have no idea what I'm going to do, that's the scary thing about all of this :unsure: and why it's taken well over 2 years for me to finally jump!

I think I would also do a yearly plan too- broken down into months- including things like -

All the headcount days.

Supervision dates

Time to book Christmas party.

Insurance due.

Review Policies

Actually maybe it's best if you don't point out everything you do - it might put them off! :lol: :o :1b

• Like 5

I think I would also do a yearly plan too- broken down into months- including things like -

All the headcount days.

Supervision dates

Insurance due.

Review Policies

Actually maybe it's best if you don't point out everything you do - it might put them off! :lol: :o :1b

Actually I do already have that, I've been making my list for quite some time :o:P and actually broken down month by month it's a very long list :wacko:

I did the list - make sure it's obvious where it is on the computer for when the paper copy gets lost!

I had my successor shadow me for twelve months. Anything that I did I showed her what I was doing and then she slowly took over the regular jobs - register and income reconciling etc. With me standing beside her at first and then flying solo when she was confident.

As I just lived up the road I could pop in if she was stuck with anything, or talk her through things on the phone. We kept the register in Dropbox so I could access it if she got in a mess - she wasn't computer 'savvy' at first, but she's a whizz now!

She still occasionally contacts me with questions, and it's lovely actually to still have that link.

Congratulations on making the decision!

• Like 1

Did similar to Cait,as they were working there I had the person shadow me and showed her all I did over a few months. She already did the planning side so was more the other admin.

I also had the lists on a calender of what needed doing when - that had been set up for a long time.

I included things like check the accident book for anything that could be causing a hazard.. (we once had a tree branch that seemed to cause a lot of head bumps being low ,only highlighted by this regular check..we covered it in bubble wrap! Ofsted found it really funny, but as they used to climb the tree did not want to remove it!)

Also review the children s Learning journals or whatever we were using to ensure staff were doing them and they were up to date.. there ended up being a lot of those little things I did that were unnoticed.

We were lucky in that the rest of the staff had been stable for a very long time, and all did some of the jobs like the funding side and the admissions /registers already.. I had trained most of them in a lot of the jobs needed to reduce my workload and happily they thrived on it..

She took over one thing at a time, so by the last few weeks was doing all.. and I was at the end of the phone for anything once I had left.. I did get quite a few calls until she had sorted out her own routine..

A hard decision but a new beginning...

• Like 1

No I have no idea what I'm going to do, that's the scary thing about all of this :unsure: and why it's taken well over 2 years for me to finally jump!

thumper, my lovely - you did it then - good for you :1b

Loads of brilliant advice already so nothing helpful to add......

Just think, that come July it will be the start of all sorts of new possibilities for you - I wish you loads of luck in whatever you decide to do next x

• Like 3

Good luck Thumper! Totally understand where you are coming from - I'm just not quite brave enough to jump just yet. I did write the 'letter' last week - but its now sitting in my bag. ;) I wish you every success in what ever comes in the next chapter. x

• Like 1

Good luck Thumper! Totally understand where you are coming from - I'm just not quite brave enough to jump just yet. I did write the 'letter' last week - but its now sitting in my bag. ;) I wish you every success in what ever comes in the next chapter. x

My letter was in my bag for 3 days. The chair was so surprised she read it twice before it actually sank in ::1a You'll know when the time is right :1b

• Like 2

A bit of a wobble doesnt cover how I was on my last day. It was also the childrens last day, graduaton ceremony. I'd practised saying goodbye, thank you, hope you have fun at school but couldnt speak when the time came, absolutely sobbed and not in a pretty way :huh:

• Like 1

All the headcount days.

Supervision dates

Insurance due.

Review Policies

Can I just add, thank you for caring and doing a proper handover with thought for the new leader and the setting. It makes a massive difference to staff.

• Like 1

Can I just add, thank you for caring and doing a proper handover with thought for the new leader and the setting. It makes a massive difference to staff.

Oh I had to, I just couldn't do it to the staff or the children, I suppose it's tricky if you are leaving under a cloud or if you have another job.

I wish nothing but the very best for my setting and hope it keeps on going for many more years to come.

Sunnyday I have already suggested just quietly slipping away - I hope I get my own way!

• Like 3

Wow Thumperabbit, it takes such a lot as a leader to make the decision to say farewell.

I know when my time comes it will be heart wrenching to do, but as previous posters have stated, I think you do know when the time is right.

Good luck to you for the future. Fx

• Like 1

Same here!! Had been thinking it over..there are changes coming in Sept to full time hours and I now believe that to get outstanding (a requirement for my school!) and with all that that entails (some I agree with, others I don,t) it needs a graduate/teacher. Think it came a bit of a shock to them as they had assumed I was still going to be manager but they thanked me for telling them in plenty of time and there will be the opportunity for me to remain in possibly a deputy role (job share). I am actually looking forward to not being responsible for finances, funding, SEN, other staff, appraisals, audits (too many types!) and just enjoy time with the children. They did say they would recruit soon so that there could be some handover etc.

Same here!! Had been thinking it over..there are changes coming in Sept to full time hours and I now believe that to get outstanding (a requirement for my school!) and with all that that entails (some I agree with, others I don,t) it needs a graduate/teacher. Think it came a bit of a shock to them as they had assumed I was still going to be manager but they thanked me for telling them in plenty of time and there will be the opportunity for me to remain in possibly a deputy role (job share). I am actually looking forward to not being responsible for finances, funding, SEN, other staff, appraisals, audits (too many types!) and just enjoy time with the children. They did say they would recruit soon so that there could be some handover etc.

I actually agree with you, the job has changed so much and even though I'm not in a school you can see that it is a teacher that government want leading settings.

I hope you do get what you want at your setting at least you won't be fully 'letting go' :1b