Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYPP

Panders

Our checking system is not live yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a LA briefing on Monday which said that you had to spend the money on the child and they suggested a tracking document so that you could prove to Ofsted (who will be checking what your doing with it) what you have done with it.

The tracker headings are the child's name, the identified needs, the response to those needs and use of EYPP, the impact of your response and where you can find the evidence (e.g., observations, progress trackers etc.)

Many of us queried whether we actually had to go with "receiving" EYPP (and I am never one to turn away extra funds) as unlike schools who a) have more qualifying children and b) have them for longer it could be that we get the 53p per hour for a very limited time and therefore don't "earn" enough to do anything particularly significant - a child with me for a 12 week term doing 15 hours per week will result in £95.40 - I can't see me getting a QTS in for that!

However today I read an article in the PSLA Under 5 magazine that said you don't necessarily have to track your EYPP pennies to an individual child but that it can be used for the whole group as long as you can demonstrate that the "EYPP child" is benefitting!!!!

At the moment I can see the money needed to cover the cost of the extra admin work involved will far outstripping the EYPP my setting is likely to receive!

The conflicting information and advice is also not helpful and all the case studies seem to focus on settings and schools in areas where a significant % of the children qualify for EYPP.

• Like 2

I have prepared a tracker :) but as said before the few children I've claimed it for don't really have a need above any others, I have gone on interests/next steps and pooled a couple together to purchase something more substantial, but the children I could make a genuine case for something extra (whether in the form of resources or man hours) aren't getting it ....b****y crazy !

• Like 2

Well my e mail was replied with, the money will be sent to you when the balancing payment is made - (not until June then!) not prepared to stump up too much before it's in and struggling really to come up with anything he needs other than lots of PSED input maybe.

I think this is varying across LA's (yet again!) We have to ask our parents for information and then submit to LA. Actually we had to ask them if they qualified for FSM. Of course that wasn't a relevant question to be asking about preschool children.

We still haven't submitted our forms yet, dont have to be back for another two weeks yet. By the time they are back, have been processed, we have been notified AND received the money, it will be June.

So far only five children have comeback saying yes, they qualify, all five are leaving in July- so it is going t be extremely difficult to show how this money benefited them!!

• Like 1

I think this is varying across LA's (yet again!) We have to ask our parents for information and then submit to LA. Actually we had to ask them if they qualified for FSM. Of course that wasn't a relevant question to be asking about preschool children.

We still haven't submitted our forms yet, dont have to be back for another two weeks yet. By the time they are back, have been processed, we have been notified AND received the money, it will be June.

So far only five children have comeback saying yes, they qualify, all five are leaving in July- so it is going t be extremely difficult to show how this money benefited them!!

Maybe an outing for them all!

One of my parents has applied - I have received and e mail today to say her little one will be receiving EYPP, - what happens next?

Ponder on how to make that difference with 53p an hour...........?

• Like 1

A blow out leaving party!! - How did they benefit? - Fun, fun fun! : )

• Like 2

Problem is by the time we get it, they will be almost leaving. I refuse to spend it in advance- we wait long enough for our funding to be paid in full as it is- I'm certainly not going to start spending money that we wont even know if we are getting until June.

But IF they all get it then a nice good bye party is a good idea! Maybe an entertainer.?

My LA will also be paying EYPP (when the system is finally up) with our EEF balance payments late in the term for this term which I can understand as nothing is yet in place HOWEVER at our briefing they were also under the illusion that they would be doing from September onwards.

The uproar that that caused popped that thought for them as providers somewhat vocally explained that we have no slack in our budgets to dip into to make any kind of purchases with EYPP in advance - LAs will have the money up front and claims about difficulties claiming back EYPP if children move to other settings doesn't wash I'm afraid as they have no problem clawing back EEF discrepancies later in the term. They are allegedly going to look into how they can pay this money with initial payments from September.

I have no problem getting bolshy with my LA (they are used to it xD ) but I am getting somewhat tired of having to fight for funding fairness for the paltry amounts of EYPP that we are likely to receive along with trying to fight for fairer early years funding too as well as railing against all the other "rubbish" policies and dictats that keep coming our way.

• Like 3

How can they possibly think of trying to claim it back if a child moves setting and you've bought something for them that you either didn't really want/have room for or if you had wanted it gotten it already most likely, I think a better way to look at it is 'as a setting what do you need' and making a case for it supporting the learning of one or more of the children entitled to it :)

our lea have been reasonably organised about this ( :o:o:o ) we have new funding forms for september which include EYPP questions....they will then check eligibility( as they do for the funded 2's ) payment is supposed to be paid with our first payment.

I am trying to avoid buying resources at present as i think it's going to be tricky to prove how this has narrowed the gap (if there is one!!!!) for those children receiving this term perhaps supporting transition would be the most likely plan!

• Like 1

Parents were asked to complete EYPP details on parent claim forms for summer term. We have input this to county and that is as far as it goes so far! We will not receive our payments until September! I think I will have possibly 6 children with entitlement. They will have moved up to primary before we get any money. I also like the idea of supporting transitioning as there are some PSED issues. We have children under speech and language therapist and unlikely to get SEND payment this term so money will go towards the wage of person supporting them. :angry: :angry:

I have also revised our registration forms and will ask all new parents to complete details needed (DOB and NI number) and the reason why. I have found it quite interesting - the number of parents who have no idea which, if any, benefits they receive????

• Like 4

. I have found it quite interesting - the number of parents who have no idea which, if any, benefits they receive????

That's me too .. I wouldn't have a clue! but having spoken to my hubby it's because we aren't eligible to anything! He reckons most people who are eligible would know?!!

• Like 1

I must of had a dozen 'don't know' forms back which then had to be checked knowing damn well they wouldn't be entitled.

Is anyone else Dorset ? ( wish our county would register with fsf) Just wondering if anyone bothered with the 'other routes' of evidence when the checker came back with 'unable to certify at this time' ...umm very helpful, I didn't :-/

Well...... I left all of this to the parents - I sent out a letter/e mail detailing what EYPP is and those that would be eligible and told them how to apply. Only one parent applied and that is what was agreed last week. However, I don't think the parent understood fully what the funding could be used for and obviously hoped it would come off of the bill as she uses more than the 15 hour allotment between us and another setting. So after disappointing her with that, I then said we would decided where the money would be best spent to help her child get ready for primary school next year, she said then replied she would like us to buy some Montessori materials because her daughter (we didn't have her at our setting) was almost reading before she went to school. Now I need to explain my way round that one!

• Like 4

she said then replied she would like us to buy some Montessori materials because her daughter (we didn't have her at our setting) was almost reading before she went to school. Now I need to explain my way round that one!

Great - that's opened up a whole new can of worms then :blink:

So - not sure if we absolutely 'had' to follow this up - I haven't - we are in a fairly affluent area - have had a think about it and I'm pretty sure none of my children would be eligible...........

If we ever get a visit from our 'sustainability officer' or whatever she is calling herself these days - I might have some questions to answer - do i sound bothered :ph34r:

Sick to the back teeth of printing stuff off knowing that it is completely unnecessary......

• Like 3

We are approaching the use of EYPP on a longer term basis - the children who attend and are eligible this summer but leave mid term or in July won't necessarily benefit on a really focused and individual basis but may just benefit from the purchase of a few resources and possibly some additional support given to the pre school room staff nearer the end of term for them to get time out for planning and transfer files and we may invest a bit more in our 'little leavers' ceremony this year and extend it into a fun day,. However, long term, we will be buying in some early years teaching support for staff so will appoint for September and therefore be using the funds each term from the previous term to fund the post. I can not cope with having to work out how much we will get each term and then work out how to spend it and wait for the funds. We feel that our approach will up the outcomes/school readiness on an ongoing basis. With the limited funding and resources we have, I already think we do a good job with our three/four year olds just as I suspect most of you do. Also, I'm not going into huge detail with parents about the funding, we are just asking them all to complete an additional form for us to continue to claim the maximum available for the nursery. Up to now, they have all done it without question.

she said then replied she would like us to buy some Montessori materials because her daughter (we didn't have her at our setting) was almost reading before she went to school. Now I need to explain my way round that one!

Easy, just tell her you can supply some information and advice that will help her to teach her daughter to 'almost read' before she starts school (And maybe point out that learning to read before school has no real impact on overall achievement at the end of KS2, other skills are much more valuable in terms of school readiness, for example social skills)

Panders I like that she can pay to send her child more than the free 15 hrs yet still entitled :/

Yes, but not easy for her, she obviously uses up some kind of benefits to do it, and trying to do some part-time work too, plus separated from husband last year, so maybe he pays?

We are approaching the use of EYPP on a longer term basis - the children who attend and are eligible this summer but leave mid term or in July won't necessarily benefit on a really focused and individual basis but may just benefit from the purchase of a few resources and possibly some additional support given to the pre school room staff nearer the end of term for them to get time out for planning and transfer files and we may invest a bit more in our 'little leavers' ceremony this year and extend it into a fun day,. However, long term, we will be buying in some early years teaching support for staff so will appoint for September and therefore be using the funds each term from the previous term to fund the post. I can not cope with having to work out how much we will get each term and then work out how to spend it and wait for the funds. We feel that our approach will up the outcomes/school readiness on an ongoing basis. With the limited funding and resources we have, I already think we do a good job with our three/four year olds just as I suspect most of you do. Also, I'm not going into huge detail with parents about the funding, we are just asking them all to complete an additional form for us to continue to claim the maximum available for the nursery. Up to now, they have all done it without question.

Yes I think I will "bank" the funds we get this term, then use them in September, that way we are using the arrears and know just how much there will be each term

My lea still not sorted anything! I'm just collecting the forms. Most of my parents don't qualify and the ones i think may do haven't bothered filling out the form...am I supposed to keep chasing it from them??!!

• 3 weeks later...

We have two eligible children, who do the full 11 hours each week that we are open (term time), so not huge amounts, but by the time we get it mid-June, they will be about 4 weeks away from leaving us. We are a charity, so no surplus money lying around to spend it before the funds arrive. I have no idea on what to spend it to be able to show how it has benefited those two children?!

Edited by HiAPreschool

Have you had the eligibility confirmed, or do you just 'know' they are eligible?

I'm asking as we will not even have confirmation until around mid-June. We have a few that I think should be, but we can't afford to book anything and then find out we're not getting any money.

I know given time it should even out more, but that doesn't help in the short term :(

I'd like to book some S&L training or activities to benefit the ones that leave in July- but I cant see that happening.

We are in a very funny area - on the whole pretty affluent one, however now with the free funding you never really know. We have about 4/5 that leave in July that I think might qualify- however I need it confirmed first.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)