Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I have followed the funding rate for non funded children, but found last year that we really couldn't do it any longer, I upped the rate to £5. per hour for under 3's. not one parent has batted any eyelid, so should have doubled it! :P:D

• Like 2

We don't charge differently for 2 yr olds but it is something I am seriously considering as we are becoming overwhelmed with the little darlings and obviously they are far more work. Do you charge a higher rate until their 3rd birthday or until the end of that term?

We currently charge £3.90/hr.

Thank you for your replies

I have followed the funding rate for non funded children, but found last year that we really couldn't do it any longer, I upped the rate to £5. per hour for under 3's. not one parent has batted any eyelid, so should have doubled it! :P:D

Gosh that's quite a lot - not that you aren't worth it! :1b this is more like what we should be charging!

For those that charge by the hour is that because you are open longer than 3 hours?

Gosh that's quite a lot - not that you aren't worth it! :1b this is more like what we should be charging!

For those that charge by the hour is that because you are open longer than 3 hours?

Thumper, my lovely - this is very confusing because we have two threads running here!

I charge 'by the hour' because sometimes my new starters might only attend for an hour for the first few sessions......I like the flexibility an hourly charge provides

Thumper, my lovely - this is very confusing because we have two threads running here!

Multi-tasking ;)

I charge 'by the hour' because sometimes my new starters might only attend for an hour for the first few sessions......I like the flexibility an hourly charge provides

Do you get many people wanting shorter than 3 hours though?

No I don't - it is usually me saying that we will have a few one hour sessions to start with.........personally I don't think it's appropriate for children who have never been parted from mum before to suddenly be plunged into a 3 hour session........we do have visits for mum/dad/carer and child before they start - but I keep those short......

• Like 1

This is where I have my problem 95% of my parents won't do anymore than 2 sessions a week until they are funded and then they will do full entitlement.

So if I put fees up, I don't know if it will cause an even bigger problem??

But it's the fact that they don't take up all sessions that is causing this lack of money problem - aaarrghhh it's too complicated

We are £3.85 an hour and are open 50 weeks a year daily 730-6. We don't run sessions we are completely flexible to parents. Our funding is £3.77 for 3-4 year olds and £5.09 for 2 year olds. It's difficult to make ends meet and means staff are minimum wage which is sad:(

The hourly cost depends where you are in the country as well.

We are currently charging £4.50 per hour which equates to £15.75 for a morning session (3.5 hours) but thanks to our funding staying the same as the last 4/5 years for the next financial year, it will probably rise to £16 or £4.60 per hour (4.57 to be precise!) in September.

We now do no or very little fundraising- sell some photos couple times a year and hold a mufti day each half term- so fees will have to rise.

Edited by lynned55

not excessive... explain the reasons.. and that the alternative could be to close as you cannot afford to pay staff, never mind all the extras needed like insurance, rent, etc.. I always found that being honest and explaining didn't hurt when increasing fees.

We used to increase every financial year.. even by a few pence so they were used to having them rise in April, just like all the other bills that arrive that time of year :o

Reading this it always amazes me at how parents can often afford the cigarettes at what I now believe is £8.00 ish for 20 , and how cheap looking after their child is in comparison.. or a pint of beer.. or any non essential item really

• Like 2

Not at all- its only around 0.33 pence per hour. If they dont like the increase suggest they write and complain to their local councillor/MP about the amount of funding we get and the rules and regulations that are imposed on us.

• Like 1

I'm not sure we'd get away with that, I'd probably be going 50p after Easter then £1 sept....or maybe it is best to just hit them with, can you guage how your parents are likely to react ? Are you committee run ( can't remember) that's usually our stumbling block as committee they see the need for increase but as parents don't want to pay it.

Edit: lol sorry didn't read it correctly ....thought you were going for a £1 an hour :D

Edited by Mouseketeer

We charge by the hour because we were £7 per 3 hour session and it just seemed logical when we upped fees to make it an hourly rate instead of set rate but yes also parents have the flexibility of staying up to 6 hours on some days - we have some staying 3, 4, 5 or 6 hours so hourly rate worked out better for that too :)

Drum roll - Breaking news - I have just opened a letter from my LA re funding for 2015 - 16........our funding is going up - yay I hear you say - brilliant news - yeah right - it's going up by 0.1p per hour

Great so how will I spend the money - that's a whole 0.03p per session for my funded children........

Off to kick something - not sure what yet......

• Like 1

Drum roll - Breaking news - I have just opened a letter from my LA re funding for 2015 - 16........our funding is going up - yay I hear you say - brilliant news - yeah right - it's going up by 0.1p per hour

Great so how will I spend the money - that's a whole 0.03p per session for my funded children........

It's probably cost them more in paper & post to send that out ... how ridiculous!

How do the powers that be expect us to survive ..... or perhaps they don't want us to?!

Enjoy that wonderful post-inspection feeling whilst you can Sunnyday, as it wears off really quickly :P

• Like 2

We are open 9 - 3pm term time only. We charge £3.20 an hour for all children, even the 2 year olds. We have children who do mornings with their funded hours and then pay to stay for lunch. It is easier to work out the invoices by using an hourly rate and as others have said we have non-funded 2 year olds who start off with 2 hours and build up as they become more settled. Just had our funding rate for next year and we will be 0.03p worse off!

:blink: :blink: xDxDxDxDxD can you feel the hysteria creeping in - and to cap it all Kent think they are being generous to us! Afterall this is coming from their pockets rather than the government who have kept their hands in their pockets for the last 5 years

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)