Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

snacks

just wondering what people have on offer at snacktime we offer fruit and a carb such as cracker, breadstick. but thinking off just having fruit, what are other peoples views?

We offer fruit but a couple of options each day an unfamiliar one and a known one with the hope that the children will be tempted to try a new one!. We do offer bread sticks and do this with dips and salad vegetables. Today we had toasted fruit bread and banana which most children sliced up and put ontop of the fruit bread.

We have a carb, crumpets, toast, bread & butter, pittas, crackerbreads, crackers, then a selection of fruit and vegetables. On a seven week snack plan. But with the ever increasing costs we are now considering lessening the choices on offer as it is becoming so expensive to maintain.:(

fruit and carb for us too.

Although I have to be honest and say we tend to stick with the favourite fruits now :( We used to have two safe ones, and one 'different/unusual ' one to try, but with the expense of it now we simply can't afford to waste foods.

• Like 4

Much the same as above for us too. We have a popcorn machine so they have fresh popcorn occasionally, today because one of the children asked what an adult had for lunch, they had bagels, we also give them Cheerios which lots of them like. whilst they haven't had any for a while, cucumber and tomatoes have gone down well this week too, whereas they got a bit tired of that a while back. Cheese and raisins always go down well

just wondering what people have on offer at snacktime we offer fruit and a carb such as cracker, breadstick. but thinking off just having fruit, what are other peoples views?

We've been thinking about dropping the carbs too - save on cost but we have a lot of children that won't eat the fruit :( we seem to be throwing more and more of it away :(

How much fruit do people give?

We've been thinking about dropping the carbs too - save on cost but we have a lot of children that won't eat the fruit :( we seem to be throwing more and more of it away :(

How much fruit do people give?

half a cracker small piece of cheese and slice of apple...as a norm

half a cracker small piece of cheese and slice of apple...as a norm

Yes, same as us although we give a whole cracker.

It's the fruit that is costing a fortune though and I hate to see so much going into the bin ... We too only offer a slice.

At school in nursery & reception they get a whole piece of fruit but no carb and we did wonder if we dropped the carb would they actually eat the fruit

We're over feeding ours too then I think....... ours help themselves (with a staff member sitting with them) starting with 4 slices/1 spoonful each and a whole cracker/breadstick etc but we do let them eat within reason as much as they would like.

I'm in a school nursery so part of the fruit and veg scheme. We get a piece of fruit/veg per child per day. Reception and KS1 give them a piece each whole, but in Nursery we find we waste less by cutting up. This week we've had apples, satsumas, carrots, bananas and vine tomatoes! We also get prepared pineapple chunks, sugar snap peas and strawberries occasionally too.Cutting up means we can also make a days worth last so they have choice each day. We have had children who will eat continually especially bananas so cutting it up helps share it out a bit too!

We've gradually reduced our snack over the years, mainly due to wastage. Our carb is a cracker or breadstick ,maybe some slices of pitta bread. We also offer slices of 2 fruits or veg. It's a good way to encourage counting to 5!

I have a staff member that can slice an apple into 24 pieces :D ::1a :D

Please can I borrow her?!

For us it's 2 x breadsticks (mini ones)

Our apples get cut into 8 pieces and they usually have two pieces each

Raisins (we seem to get through a 'crazy' amount of those :( )

When my garden is in full swing I will bring in various 'goodies' - carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, strawberries - find that the majority of children eye these offerings with great 'suspicion'! :oxD

Have given up on offering bananas they don't seem to be popular at present - have tried offering pineapple, mango - again children do not seem very interested......

Our children are only with us for 3 hours - think that has a bearing on what you offer......

• Like 1

We charge parents for snack (under the funding guidelines we can't make them pay so we give them the option to provide their own healthy snack or pay - and they all choose to pay) consequently we have a wide variety each week such as:

2 - 3 large breadsticks & a big handful of raisins

Fruit (1 whole piece of fruit each)

2 slices of pizza

a toasted crumpet and jam

Warm sausage rolls

2 cream crackers and cheese

a yogurt and a piece of fruit

sultanas and apple slices

carrot & cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes and dip

pompadoms & chutney

mini cheddars

jacket potatoes

cheesy toast (children grate the cheese and make them)

The list is endless and we do it really cheaply.... especially if I go to Aldi !! Although saying that if you buy the big supermarket basic/value brands it still is affordable on our snack fee.

We have apple that I cut into a dozen slices, Satsumas split into segments, Banana cut into small chunks, egg cups full of sultanas, centimetre chunks of cheese, pineapple chunks - that's morning snack. Afternoon snack is more carb oriented, so hula hoops, bread sticks, cream crackers, little cheesy biscuits from the £1 shop.

We charge parents for snack (under the funding guidelines we can't make them pay so we give them the option to provide their own healthy snack or pay - and they all choose to pay) consequently we have a wide variety each week such as:

2 - 3 large breadsticks & a big handful of raisins

Fruit (1 whole piece of fruit each)

2 slices of pizza

a toasted crumpet and jam

Warm sausage rolls

2 cream crackers and cheese

a yogurt and a piece of fruit

sultanas and apple slices

carrot & cucumber sticks, cherry tomatoes and dip

pompadoms & chutney

mini cheddars

jacket potatoes

cheesy toast (children grate the cheese and make them)

The list is endless and we do it really cheaply.... especially if I go to Aldi !! Although saying that if you buy the big supermarket basic/value brands it still is affordable on our snack fee.

Goodness Megamum, that sounds lovely, but do children eat their lunch after having pizza or jacket potato for snack? We offer far less than this!

• Like 1