Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do you remember......

sunnyday

'Clinic Orange juice'???

Mr S is looking at me as if I'm barking.........but I clearly remember mum taking my baby brother to 'baby clinic' and picking up bottles of OJ - he didn't like it - so I was happy to oblige.......it was lovely :1b

Someone - please tell me this is not all in my mind! :blink: xD

Oh yes gorgeous stuff which I was given when I was a baby boomer after the war. Bags of vitamin C . Bottles with blue tops and I can see them and taste it now. Yum. When my children were young, some 26 years later, they had something similar from the clinic but I forget the make. You could buy it in the chemists as well. All gone now as I expect the sugar content was an issue!

• Like 1

Oh yes gorgeous stuff which I was given when I was a baby boomer after the war. Bags of vitamin C . Bottles with blue tops and I can see them and taste it now. Yum. When my children were young, some 26 years later, they had something similar from the clinic but I forget the make. You could buy it in the chemists as well. All gone now as I expect the sugar content was an issue!

Thank goodness - was beginning to doubt myself! :1b

Oooh and Rose Hip Syrup! YUM!!

I was thinking that too Cait, Delrosa rose hip syrup, yummy. I expect a lot of our younger members might remember that and the Minadex - I suppose lots of parents must give other types of vitamins these days - I don't actually remember supplementing my boys with vitamins at all!!! They appeared to be fit and healthy all the time, never occurred to me.

• Like 1

didnt have the orange juice.. but did have the minadex.. think they were vitamin drops.. yellow liquid given with a dropper.. very distinctive taste.. I too can still remember it..

rose hip syrup.. even my son had that .. not often but occasionally.. and he had vitamin drops as a baby.. given to us by our Saafa nurse.. as we were in Germany they did all the hv stuff ... weekly visits, and weekly meetings/clinics/groups... always someone there to ask a question..

• Like 1

Haha, we had minadex by the dessert spoon! Not a dropper. Yes it was greeny orangey yellow stuff. No, I didn't give my own children vitamins initially, by when my son refused fruit and veg I gave him chewy vitamins, and I think he still has them now at the grand age of 25!

• Like 1

No didn't have the Cod Liver oil - yuck - sounds horrible! :blink:

The news with regard to all under fives being supplied with vitamins was what 'sparked' my original conversation with Mr S........wonder if that would help prevent some of the colds that 'my' pre-school children have - some of them will start a cold now and carry on throughout the winter :blink: or so it seems to me.........a regular 'snot fest' already and it's only October :o

Of course, it would only work if parents actually give them to their children :ph34r: oh dear, did I say that out loud! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I listened to the news with a heavy heart yesterday about children with rickets. After all the hard work people have done on healthy eating and 5 a day etc it seems amazing to me that we may have to give children vitamins.

I was interested though with the news piece about vitamin D and sun and children not playing outside for fear of safelty and sun burn.....somewhere it all seems to have got a bit muddled up hasnt it.

It all goes back to everything in moderation for me...a balanced diet, a mix of inside and outside activities....planning the outside stuff around the cooler parts of the day etc

The piece on the news that annoyed me was some mother saying "well my son like to play on his xbox and watch youtube all day"..... well I wanted to kick her in the backside.....the hours I spent sitting in the park supervising my children while they played or played with them even though they might have wanted to stay in and do things.....what is wrong with these parents??? Just who is in charge in some of these families??

Think I better stop ranting now and do something more constructive...like do some work and eat my grapes before Finley the office dog tries to eat them...he has already had a go at my ham and beetroot sandwich of of my bag cheeky dog xDxDxD

• Like 7

Yes Sue, I admit to having those exact same feelings. And I never subscribed to the 'either come in or go out' constantly opening and closing back door with the children either - it was more me anyway, check washing, back out, nip to the loo, back out, see if postman has been, back out - you know the type of thing! The number of children who are on Movicol these days is staggering too. Give them a decent diet and get them moving and stop stressing about it and the poo will come naturally!!! Sorry, ranting - we have four or five children on it, and when I see what some bring for packed lunch, I'm not surprised!

The number of children who are on Movicol these days is staggering too.

In your neck of the woods too - we had loads of children on Movicol last year - in one case we even had to involve the continence nurse to help - how can children possibly recognise any urges when they are being dosed up with stuff that turns everything to mush (sorry having spent 12 months examining poo against poo charts all sensitivity is gone) what happened to good old fashioned common sense - aaarrrrggggggggg!

Bring back Rosehip Syrup - I loved it

Cod Liver Oil - I remember having to have it as a child and still think it is disgusting now!

Malt - Oooo lovely - My mum still gets it for me as a treat and to ward off colds (I am over 50 :blink: :blink: ) and I could still eat it by the spoonful

I always thought it was Kia Ora they gave us at the clinic. Lovely and strong too. Not like that awful stuff we got from the supermarket that I thought was just coloured water. I loved going to the clinic in the sixties...they had a proper rocking horse!

• Like 1