Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording "minor" complaints from parents

Afternoon all,

As the title suggests, I am wondering how everyone records comments from parents or carers?

For example, I had a parent call me today to say that her child had told her she was hit in the face with a toy. She told me there is no mark but she just wanted to let us know it happened. She didn't actually complain but I feel we should record this to say what action we took.

Any ideas appreciated

TIA

Hi

I wouldn't do anything, just apologise to Mum and ask the other practitioners if they saw anything. Maybe have a circle time about being nice to each other.

After all it is pre-school, its a little different when the children are older.

• Like 1

I record conversations like that on a CR10 form, just so that we can see if there's a pattern emerging and to record what action we took.

• Like 1

I always make the point that it is really important for children to be confident enough to speak to an adult when it happens. Then we have a better chance of dealing with the problem.

what the heck is a CR10 form??????

I don't know either - I 'googled' and apparently it has something to do with authorising cremations :ph34r: :blink: xDxDxD:bananas: hopefully Cait will come along and enlighten us! :rolleyes:

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 2

I don't know either - I 'googled' and apparently it has something to do with authorising cremations :ph34r: :blink: xDxDxD:bananas: hopefully Cait will come along and enlighten us! :rolleyes:

now i know some of my parents get hot under the collar ...but that's rediculous! xD

• Like 4

we have a 'parental conversation' form on which we record any conversations about any aspect of a childs care, maybe I need to revisit it and add an addendum regarding permission for cremations. thank you for bringing this oversight to my attention!

we have a 'parental conversation' form on which we record any conversations about any aspect of a childs care, maybe I need to revisit it and add an addendum regarding permission for cremations. thank you for bringing this oversight to my attention!

could you possibly put a copy on here for us all to see please - not with any cremations thought thank you

Edited by blondie

mine is very similar to Caits, a date box, a box to record the conversation and a box underneath to record any further action

could you possibly put a copy on here for us all to see please - not with any cremations thought thank you

Oh crumbs I better get one of those too. When I looked it related to Merchant Seamen. The plot thickens.:):):)

Not sure you should have too many Merchant Seamen in the setting unless they are CRB checked and can provide a full range of age appropriate sea shanties :ph34r::PxD

• Like 3

Sometimes its a question of where to draw the line though, isn't it. What to record and what not to. We make a note of some conversations in the daily diary if they are very casual so at least we can refer to them if need be. But the CR10s are useful too as it can show a pattern developing if there is one.

Sometimes its a question of where to draw the line though, isn't it. What to record and what not to. We make a note of some conversations in the daily diary if they are very casual so at least we can refer to them if need be. But the CR10s are useful too as it can show a pattern developing if there is one.

It certainly is Possum - I whinged remarked this morning that if I am forced to have need to have any more documentation and folders to contain this documentation there will be no room for the children in my setting! :o:ph34r: :blink: xD

• Like 4

After all it is pre-school, its a little different when the children are older.

This is an interesting statement - can you explain a bit more about what you mean? What age group of children do you work with, diesel10?

Mazzzzzzzzzzzz! I was trying so hard not to rise to this! :ph34r:

I'm genuinely interested. I think we pre-school peops have to fill out so many forms and reports about things that happen in our settings. From my experience as a parent, it is very rare that when things like this happened in school I was ever asked to sign an accident form, or whatever. Maybe we are a bit 'over the top' in our approach (for whatever reason) - worried about Ofsted or being sued or whatever. :(

I'm genuinely interested. I think we pre-school peops have to fill out so many forms and reports about things that happen in our settings. From my experience as a parent, it is very rare that when things like this happened in school I was ever asked to sign an accident form, or whatever. Maybe we are a bit 'over the top' in our approach (for whatever reason) - worried about Ofsted or being sued or whatever. :(

It is 'interesting' - but have to confess I 'bristled' when I read it :ph34r: I have to try very hard sometimes to not 'jump on' comments which are probably made with the best of intentions :1b

We 'pre-school peeps' are so bogged down with bits of paper - a form for this - a form for that - a folder or thirty to keep the forms in - and then there's the duplication of work and the 'no you can't keep your forms in a ring-binder' as someone might remove one' type thing........can you tell I've had a 'hard day' :(xD

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your comments. I totally agree that we are drowning in a sea of paperwork!!

I am just becoming more and more cautious with some of our parents now as it really does feel like they are just out to get us at times! Would be great they realised the amount of time it takes to process their comments and taking me away from precious time spent with their child.

Ok I will get down off my soapbox now!!!

Thanks again for your feedback :)

We have 'day books' in school. I or one of my TAs will write down anything of note that has happened that day. If I have rung a parent (we rarely see them due to kids coming on buses) then there is a record of that. Also any unusual messages thst come in via the home/school books are recorded. With issues we sometimes highlight them so they are easier to find. Some days I will fill a side of a4, other days barely a line. Keeps it all together and is easy to refer back to.

That got me thinking and I think when I have been called to school the only form I had to sign was to say I had taken them off the school premises.....even when I turned up to meet the ambulance taking Emily to hospital with a suspected broken ankle (it wasn't thank goodness) I didn't sign anything....not even the signing out book as we were on a playing field xD

Do you think part of that is because the older child can tell you more accurately what happened and little ones can't and little ones can sometimes had a delayed reaction to things?

Possibly Sue. However I also think it is a practical thing. Whereas my children's nursery had 30 children at a session, my children's primary school would have had three classes, each with 30 children, for each year group. That's a whole lot of children to keep tabs on! Things got a bit tighter after the Dunblaine shootings (I think) in terms of taking children out of school, but I don't ever remember being asked to sign an accident form.

• Like 1

Do think it is a practical thing as much as anything else.. never signed anything once son was at school, but then he would often have a bump note or accident note in his pocket informing me that he had done xxx and been how it had been treated, and a list of what to look for if it had been a head bump... but then he used a school bus from 5 so never went into the school , we were rural and the bus was how they all went to school..

as to preschools recording so much.. it is often to cover any future incidents that may link to the original one... was often very thankful I recorded the minor as it is so easy for a parent to complain direct to Ofsted and the can of worms that can open for something that could so easily be dealt with in house... I recorded everthing and was so glad I did on more than one occasion.. it can also show a pattern for CP purposes.. etc.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

can anyone clarify - do ALL complaints / minor issues have to be recorded (eg "my child came home with paint all over their jumper and im not happy" types) but only WRITTEN complaints have to be investigated??....

I have a 'official' complaints record similar to those shared above with the "has this record been shared with parents?" and "was the outcome notified to parents within 28 days" questions on it but feel recording on this is over the top for everyday grumbles...I wonder have any recently inspected settings shared their informal formats with Ofsted (e.g. a day book / diary) - and if so what feedback was given?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)