Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Happy Birthday HappyMaz

Inge

And a happy birthday from me, too. I am late here as my lovely sister whisked me off to Ragdale Hall early today for an early birthday present for my landmark coming up - alas we get to be members of the same club for only a few days, but we are members here for the duration, so not too much of a disaster!

Many hugs! S xx

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all the birthday wishes - I had the most amazing day and I have to say the views from the Shard are breathtaking. There are three viewing levels on floors 68, 69 and 72: the highest you can go is 244m. At floors 68 and 69 you are completely enclosed, but up on 72 you can feel the air and hear the wind outside. The glass is still pretty high around you - you're never in any danger but if you look up you can see the top of parts of the shard against the sky. As you can imagine it is pretty chilly up there, but much warmer on the lower floors.

I really wanted to see the sunset but unfortunately my other half couldn't get away from work in time, but the staff said that actually we'd been there for the best part of the day and I must say the lights of the London night sky were stunning.

If you're going to go I would really recommend the likely non-busy times: I imagine walking around during the school holidays could be a bit of a trial but last night there was plenty of space to amble around - you can walk all around the Shard so you get a complete 360 degree panoramic view of London. The floors are very wide so if anyone is slightly queasy about heights you can look out from a safe distance!

The only thing I was sad about was that because the lift was closing we had to rush back down from the top - I would have liked to have lingered to read the little factoids that decorate the walls and floor of the lift lobbies. Maybe if you go earlier in the day they don't hurry you on quite so much. The lifts are entertaining, with images projected into the ceiling and the staff members in the lift are full of interesting information about how many metres per second the ascent/descent is and so on.

I think I will go back and see if I can see the sun setting over London - just need to find a suitable occasion to celebrate: it is definitely a 'mountain top' moment! :1b

• Like 4

Well I felt ill just reading about Maz scaling the heights but...Susan is right about the EYE. You hardly feel that you are moving. My OH inveigled me into going on it, and I sat on the bench in the middle of the capsule and couldn't look down at first. It moved so slowly and the metal tube thingies holding the structure up were very thick and strong looking, so eventually I was able to move to the window and look around. I'm glad I did as the view was fascinating.

• Like 3